follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-17-2015, 07:25 AM   #43
MikeM7

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
$25K is cheap? Accidentally breaking 100 MPH is slow? Ok, if you say so. I consider it the best of all worlds.

It ain't no Scion. That's for sure. DGAF what the badge says. I'll rock it all day long.

Best go kart ever!
Yes, 25k is cheap for a brand new sports car. Breaking 100 mph by accident is kind of a ridiculous statement, but ok.

I think it's the best of all worlds too. That's why I bought one. Great looks, great handling, great price, and enough power to have fun with while still averaging 28 mpg. I own one, so I'm not just blindly hating on the car. I am just aware of it's shortcomings and reputation.
MikeM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeM7 For This Useful Post:
sledheadguy (02-17-2015), STV3 (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 07:43 AM   #44
Frishkorn
Hi everybody!

Drives: 14 Whiteout FRS 6M. 16 Abyss iA 6A.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledheadguy View Post
lol.. everyday I drive it, people come up to me... hey what is that.
Then they go..." a Scion"...... look of confusion.
I have noticed since I bought my car Scion is having commericials on their Tc model. Never noticed that before. But then again we know how that works...lol...see everything now...
Hahahaha, same here. Just about every time I'm at a gas station, I'll have some older guy come up and ask what it is (why they just don't look at the badges *shrug*).

Then I have to explain, well it's a Scion, but it's actually a Subaru, but it's made in partnership with Toyota (You have no idea how many Americans have no clue that Scion is a brand of Toyota).

Then I have to explain for half an hour that it's a Subaru engine, Subaru chassis, Subaru brakes, Toyota transmission, Toyota body design, Toyota fuel pump. But it's built at Subaru's plant.

Then I pop the hood and doors and show them the Subaru VIN tags.

Fun to watch them walk away puzzled but amazed.
Frishkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frishkorn For This Useful Post:
LucidMomentum (02-17-2015), sledheadguy (02-17-2015), Tcoat (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 07:51 AM   #45
Chad11491

Drives: 85.5 Porsche 944, '15 mustang GT PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
eh, i'm kinda with OP on this. I've always thought of scion as the cheap dollar general brand of toyota. like a gio metro. It doesn't help the brand that, around here at least, most of the cars have been seriously riced and look like they rolled off pimp my ride. I'd rather be associated with beige camry's than that.

or just get a Subaru. Which, according to my uncle are "liberal tree hugging hippie" cars.

moral of the story, buy whatever the hell you want, because someone has a funny opinion on it anyway.
Chad11491 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chad11491 For This Useful Post:
Frishkorn (02-17-2015), sledheadguy (02-17-2015), Tcoat (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 07:56 AM   #46
Frishkorn
Hi everybody!

Drives: 14 Whiteout FRS 6M. 16 Abyss iA 6A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM7 View Post
Yes, 25k is cheap for a brand new sports car. Breaking 100 mph by accident is kind of a ridiculous statement, but ok.

I think it's the best of all worlds too. That's why I bought one. Great looks, great handling, great price, and enough power to have fun with while still averaging 28 mpg. I own one, so I'm not just blindly hating on the car. I am just aware of it's shortcomings and reputation.
Problem is you're overlooking all that money spent on R&D to build one hell of a chassis. Could have they added more power, sure. But they left that up to us, and gave us enough left over with it's price point to decide what is needed.

You also forget the FA20 has 100 BHP per litre. That's impressive as fuck.
Frishkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frishkorn For This Useful Post:
sledheadguy (02-17-2015), Tcoat (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #47
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,983 Times in 11,396 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi86 View Post
Average age of a tC owner is about 25, FR-S owners average age 34. Not sure where your getting this 65+ crap from. Also the xB has proven year in and out to be one of the most reliable cars on the road. The tC has the Camry engine not Corolla. so your statement is just all around wrong. Thanks for trying to sound informed and intelligent. Maybe next time. .
Sorry but an average owner age of 25 isn't really statistically possible unless no one over the age of about 30 ever bought a tC. For example, to have an average age of 25, for every one 50 year old that bought a TC you would have to have 5 buyers that are 20 year old.

The first year or so Scion was available, it did have an average age of around 35 according to some stats I saw, but that quickly increased as more older folks bought into the tC as a decent alternative to more feature packed cars and many liked the xB because it provided practical hauling capacity for empty nesters that didn't need baseball team seating any longer.

Below is the industry data by brand and the source article. Scion is definitely one of the younger ones, but it's still higher than most people think.

Why? Well remember most people under the age of about 21 and maybe even 25 (yes there are exceptions) are not car OWNERS, but drivers.

By the way, the second chart is not new, but all cars, based on registration. Note that Scion is slowly creeping up. I also think the average age of Bugatti is interesting, although not surprising.
Attached Images

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #48
TRD-X

Drives: Da-Big Banana
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Average age of a tC owner is about 25, FR-S owners average age 34. Not sure where your getting this 65+ crap from. Also the xB has proven year in and out to be one of the most reliable cars on the road. The tC has the Camry engine not Corolla. so your statement is just all around wrong. Thanks for trying to sound informed and intelligent. Maybe next time.

You are awarded no points and may good have mercy on your soul.

Where did you get your info from? I know a lot of Scion owners and they are over 40 years old so that blows your "65+ crap" out of the water.

2012 till now I've owned 6 Scions and I'm over 60 years old and back in 2003 when Scion started I was still a old dude.
Dadhawk (02-18-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #49
MikeM7

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frishkorn View Post
Problem is you're overlooking all that money spent on R&D to build one hell of a chassis. Could have they added more power, sure. But they left that up to us, and gave us enough left over with it's price point to decide what is needed.

You also forget the FA20 has 100 BHP per litre. That's impressive as fuck.
I agree, but I'm not sure how I overlooked anything or what this has to do with my comment. None of that conflicts with anything that I've said.
MikeM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #50
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frishkorn View Post
Hahahaha, same here. Just about every time I'm at a gas station, I'll have some older guy come up and ask what it is (why they just don't look at the badges *shrug*).

Then I have to explain, well it's a Scion, but it's actually a Subaru, but it's made in partnership with Toyota (You have no idea how many Americans have no clue that Scion is a brand of Toyota).

Then I have to explain for half an hour that it's a Subaru engine, Subaru chassis, Subaru brakes, Toyota transmission, Toyota body design, Toyota fuel pump. But it's built at Subaru's plant.

Then I pop the hood and doors and show them the Subaru VIN tags.

Fun to watch them walk away puzzled but amazed.
I bet I have gone through that exact same process 200 times now!
I have pretty much condensed it down to "It is a Toyota, built by Subaru and badged as a Scion". I either get a knowing nod or a blank stare back when I go through that spiel.
Frishkorn (02-23-2015), sledheadguy (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #51
AustinG

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S, '95 240SX Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitionGundam View Post
How did you remove scion silkscreen?
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ead+unit+scion
AustinG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinG For This Useful Post:
IgnitionGundam (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 09:10 AM   #52
AustinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
But do you have the Official Toyota Owner's Manual?
I just took the Scion one out of the car.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #53
AustinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad11491 View Post
I'd rather be associated with beige camry's than that.
Toyota does have a heritage of sports cars! Unfortunately, most do just associate them with beige Camrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad11491 View Post
moral of the story, buy whatever the hell you want, because someone has a funny opinion on it anyway.
True story.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #54
quasi86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S m/t Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Sorry but an average owner age of 25 isn't really statistically possible unless no one over the age of about 30 ever bought a tC. For example, to have an average age of 25, for every one 50 year old that bought a TC you would have to have 5 buyers that are 20 year old.

The first year or so Scion was available, it did have an average age of around 35 according to some stats I saw, but that quickly increased as more older folks bought into the tC as a decent alternative to more feature packed cars and many liked the xB because it provided practical hauling capacity for empty nesters that didn't need baseball team seating any longer.

Below is the industry data by brand and the source article. Scion is definitely one of the younger ones, but it's still higher than most people think.

Why? Well remember most people under the age of about 21 and maybe even 25 (yes there are exceptions) are not car OWNERS, but drivers.

By the way, the second chart is not new, but all cars, based on registration. Note that Scion is slowly creeping up. I also think the average age of Bugatti is interesting, although not surprising.
Regardless of what it ended up being Scion solo had one of the lowest average ages of ownership.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #55
carma143

Drives: Toyota Highlander; Subaru BRZ (SWP)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Average age of a tC owner is about 25, FR-S owners average age 34. Not sure where your getting this 65+ crap from. Also the xB has proven year in and out to be one of the most reliable cars on the road. The tC has the Camry engine not Corolla. so your statement is just all around wrong. Thanks for trying to sound informed and intelligent. Maybe next time.

You are awarded no points and may good have mercy on your soul.
I didn't try to sound informative. I was inputting my experiences surrounding the brand with friends who have bought the cars and news articles that have popped up over the years, and confirmation what they have said with websites such as Edmunds...maybe I'll start titling all my advice posts "Local Experience."

I'm sorry if I sound threatening, but from my experience I was BEING informative. Intelligence has nothing to do with this, as long as I can read and reflect.
carma143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #56
shiro

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2014 Lexus IS350
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
Eh. If I put a sticker on a pack of Thin Mints that said "Grasshoppers", they'd still be Thin Mints. All Scion did was slap some badges on a Toyota/Subaru and call it a day. Hell, even the Scion badges are made by Subaru.
Attachment 102798

LMAO, no shit? Never seen the back of the badge before but this blew my mind. Figured Toyota would have at least had their stamp on this part... HAHAHA, nice share