follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #533
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
You mean thanks "green society" because it's not just the U.S. that it had to pass emissions in otherwise it would've been like the e36 m3 where euro and JDM spec had higher HP and torque numbers
That was partly tongue-in cheek, but I suspect its also cheaper to offer one power level (with differences being due to fuel quality only), rather than developing/tuning region-specific running gear for a global car.
Might as well just tune/develop for the strictest regime.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
YukiHachiRoku (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #534
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Looks like the 2.0L will only have 155bhp

http://jalopnik.com/2016-mazda-miata...-to-1682771004
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2015, 01:27 PM   #535
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
If they ever make a coupe version that can fit a 6' 2" guy...it would be very tempting. Until then, nope. Porsche and Jaguar make convertible and coupe versions of the same car... come on Mazda bring it to the affordable segment and give it some proper ergonomic fitment for non-Japanese sized people!
Old 01-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #536
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...zda-mx5-miata/

Was there an embargo or something on the reviews? or are Auto journalist just getting the chance to drive the ND now?

*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #537
airjonny

Drives: Nissan Murano
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Cutting weight isn't an excuse to flat out ignore the biggest weakness of the car. Yes we understand that the car isn't a Mustang, but really? I don't want to hear the "adding power would cost more money" talking point anymore. Can any cost accountants here explain how shedding 200lbs of weight on a bespoke platform won't add any significant bump in price, but a tune to at least NC power levels is going to bankrupt Mazda?

/hissyfit. I still like the car, I just hate how Mazda is content with being good when it can be great.
airjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to airjonny For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2015, 06:04 PM   #538
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjonny View Post
I don't want to hear the "adding power would cost more money" talking point anymore. Can any cost accountants here explain how shedding 200lbs of weight on a bespoke platform won't add any significant bump in price, but a tune to at least NC power levels is going to bankrupt Mazda?
If you don't like the answer than why ask the question? Mazda decided what kind of car they wanted to build and built it, I guarantee the idea was kicked around to take the NC, do only minor updates to the chassis keeping it around 2,500 lbs and bump up the horsepower. Instead they put the money into a better chassis, suspension, and drivetrain and dropped in the mass produced engine available for their economy car.

Just like every Miata (non-special edition) introduced for the past 26 years.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #539
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Looks like the 2.0L will only have 155bhp

http://jalopnik.com/2016-mazda-miata...-to-1682771004
Well, I am surprised they did not bow to the HP fiends and dial in more but with the extra 8 FT/LB of torgue and the 6 speed gearing it will be close to matching the FR-S in straightline speed and may be better around a track due to the lower weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...zda-mx5-miata/

Was there an embargo or something on the reviews? or are Auto journalist just getting the chance to drive the ND now?

Yes, no one was supposed to release anything until noon eastern time today. R&T write an especially glowing review of the car but I have yet to read any negative reviews about it.

Props to Mazda for bucking the trend of more weight and more HP. I guess Tada is not the only engineer in Japan that understands that making a fun to drive car is not all about horsepower and electronics.
Dimman (01-31-2015), FRSBRZGT86FAN (01-30-2015), strat61caster (01-30-2015), YukiHachiRoku (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 06:30 PM   #540
airjonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
If you don't like the answer than why ask the question? Mazda decided what kind of car they wanted to build and built it, I guarantee the idea was kicked around to take the NC, do only minor updates to the chassis keeping it around 2,500 lbs and bump up the horsepower. Instead they put the money into a better chassis, suspension, and drivetrain and dropped in the mass produced engine available for their economy car.

I still want to see something where a simple tune is going to add thousands of dollars to the car. If all that money went into the chassis, I sure hope it won't have the body roll of a 90s Mustang.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #541
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
USA Spec pegs weight closer to 2400 due to stricter crash standards.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2015, 06:43 PM   #542
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
USA Spec pegs weight closer to 2400 due to stricter crash standards.
And the bigger engine but the weight for the US version has not been released yet. No matter what, it will be lighter than the NC and offer better overall performance.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #543
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
And the bigger engine but the weight for the US version has not been released yet. No matter what it will be lighter than the NC and offer better overall performance.
Yes you are correct. Either version looks fantastic. If only..
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #544
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

Wait, so the excuse is development money? Ok, fine, let's assume that's the case. Why not just use the NC engine?

167hp and sitting on the shelf right over there.
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to themadscientist For This Useful Post:
airjonny (01-30-2015), YukiHachiRoku (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 06:54 PM   #545
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjonny View Post
I still want to see something where a simple tune is going to add thousands of dollars to the car. If all that money went into the chassis, I sure hope it won't have the body roll of a 90s Mustang.
Because there is no such thing as "a simple tune" unless you can discount longterm reliability, emissions standards in multiple regions, fuel economy across multiple driving cycles, actual road and track performance, and driver enjoyment.

Engine design and control is not a cheap thing to do properly, it's why new engines are such a big deal, it absolutely would add to the sticker price to meet consumer demands for more power (because there's only so much you can compromise one of the factors I listed above before it begins to turn people away from the car), it's not a switch that can be easily flipped, there are repercussions.

Also worth noting that the 2.0L is being rated differently than what we currently have (lower torque), I have a feeling it's been tweaked from the Mazda3 & CX-5 we are assuming.

Mazda is not in the business of making dyno queens, very few automakers are. Might as well be asking Nissan why they aren't selling 900+ hp GTR's because "the aftermarket can do it".

People who dig Miatas are excited, the people who have never been attracted to them will continue to not be attracted to them, I fail to see your problem other than "I want mine with a sprinkle of +20hp fairy dust".

Edit:
@themadscientist You clearly did not understand my post. Mazda wants to build a car for $X MSRP, they expect to sell Y units in this market, they have Z budget to develop it and put it into production. They allocated their money to making the chassis light instead of adding power, it's not a difficult concept, they aren't running a charity, it's a profit driven company. They didn't use the NC motor because it is terribly inefficient and rather heavy (still iron block I believe), the 2.0L is an upgrade in every way (better torque curve, more efficient, lighter, meets worldwide emissions easily) except peak power.

Gotta pay to play, going fast costs money, the S2000 is dead and the Miata lives on because it has modest goals and brings a smile to the target buyer.

Last edited by strat61caster; 01-30-2015 at 07:07 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Quentin (02-13-2015), Ultramaroon (01-30-2015), YukiHachiRoku (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #546
airjonny

Quote:
Because there is no such thing as "a simple tune" unless you can discount longterm reliability, emissions standards in multiple regions, fuel economy across multiple driving cycles, actual road and track performance, and driver enjoyment.

Engine design and control is not a cheap thing to do properly, it's why new engines are such a big deal, it absolutely would add to the sticker price to meet consumer demands for more power (because there's only so much you can compromise one of the factors I listed above before it begins to turn people away from the car), it's not a switch that can be easily flipped, there are repercussions.

Also worth noting that the 2.0L is being rated differently than what we currently have (lower torque), I have a feeling it's been tweaked from the Mazda3 & CX-5 we are assuming.

Mazda is not in the business of making dyno queens, very few automakers are. Might as well be asking Nissan why they aren't selling 900+ hp GTR's because "the aftermarket can do it".

People who dig Miatas are excited, the people who have never been attracted to them will continue to not be attracted to them, I fail to see your problem other than "I want mine with a sprinkle of +20hp fairy dust".
My problem is them ignoring the #1 complaint of the car. It's like a basketball coach telling an offensive minded basketball player to work on his defense and the player being like "screw it im chucking more shots up this season".

If the numbers are true, what "special tuning" did Mazda do? This is basically an untouched engine that the Mazda 3 has on 87.