follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
DSG Performance
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #89
Subie
Señor Member
 
Subie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 2013 SSM DZE BRZ
Location: SC
Posts: 946
Thanks: 728
Thanked 392 Times in 195 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natheria View Post
Im pretty much in the same mindset as TuxedoCartman. I was on the fence for a long while between the two cars but i just like the look of the FR-S better. I was going to leave it up to a test drive between the two cars (although i prefer a more neutral handling) but the fact that Subaru is going to be so limited and the ridiculous markups they set pretty much sealed it (maybe if they get prices and quantity under control when I'm actually in the market for this car but i don't think these problems are going away anytime soon). I ain't spending 6+ grand more for the subie badging.

And ironically even though i don't care at all for the Scion brand i can actually appreciate from a business standpoint why they're using Scion for the American market so it's not like i can really be mad at them for doing so. Scion as a whole hasn't really been doing well and this is Toyota's way of jump starting the brand. America is also a lot more brand conscious than most other places and if they can actually improve Scion's image they are in a better position to sell better considering the word Toyota here is synonymous with "boring". My personal choice though is I'd rather be associated with boring since i have yet to meet someone IRL who owns a Scion that I've actually liked.
The thing is though, all the great Toyotas of the past were Toyotas: the Supra, the AE86, the Celica, the 2000GT, etc. There hasn't been a single Scion that was truly great (or even marginally so), and Toyota is having to reinvent itself and create an entirely new reputation for itself by selling the FR-S under the lackluster Scion brand. I would think that if they sold it as a Toyota and featured some of those old and great Toyotas in their advertising that the car would be a natural fit for the Toyota brand. I don't see a reason for the Scion brand to exist at all.
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Subie For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #90
Spd229
Senior Member
 
Spd229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: Ultramarine FR-S AT
Location: Atlanta,GA
Posts: 574
Thanks: 222
Thanked 303 Times in 154 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie View Post
The thing is though, all the great Toyotas of the past were Toyotas: the Supra, the AE86, the Celica, the 2000GT, etc. There hasn't been a single Scion that was truly great (or even marginally so), and Toyota is having to reinvent itself and create an entirely new reputation for itself by selling the FR-S under the lackluster Scion brand. I would think that if they sold it as a Toyota and featured some of those old and great Toyotas in their advertising that the car would be a natural fit for the Toyota brand. I don't see a reason for the Scion brand to exist at all.
Looking at it, I've wondered the same thing.

Though technically Toyota has found a fit for it, in the Scion lineup as far as sales go. Granted it would have probably sold just as well as a Toyota, what conflicts that may have caused is beyond me. And as far as advertising, in regards to car shows and demonstrations they have in fact included the car's "heritage."

The only real difference is a demographic, which in this particular part of the U.S. (SE) you don't even really notice...as people drive cars, meaning at some point or another you're going to see someone of some age driving a scion. Though in other parts it's quite the stigma, as noted by insurance prices and impression of the brand itself...but brands change over time as we've all seen.

Rather than letting a brand die, they chose to reinvigorate it with a sports car, which currently leaned more towards the current scion than toyota (first thing you think of is a Camry or surprisingly enough a tundra). There's nothing super sporty about either brand currently (I don't really count the Tc), but a choice was made. Besides, Toyota already has a pretty lengthy list of cars in the lineup.

Toyota sells volume in the form of corollas, avalons, you name it. They're going to use that. Scion is more of a plaything to begin with, so they're toying with the sports car idea using that brand. I don't see it as a terrible idea, why mess with a good thing when if you put something people are going to want somewhere, they will in fact find it and buy it.

Who knows, maybe after a while Toyota will bring over the high spec GT version as a Toyota rather than a Scion;Though I would worry the difference in price would be semi-steep ($5k-ish minimum), which would then set the tone between the brands for that car. But as it has been mentioned before, that's doubtful.

--------------
Anyway, to be on topic. I may very well swap the badges, hell even if I got the Subaru I might do it. Just depends on what I felt I wanted. It's my car anyway, and it's simply an aesthetic...like many other mods.
__________________
Spd229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spd229 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #91
Natheria
Overlord
 
Natheria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: SWP 13 BRZ, 94 Miata
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 105
Thanks: 31
Thanked 66 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie View Post
I would think that if they sold it as a Toyota and featured some of those old and great Toyotas in their advertising that the car would be a natural fit for the Toyota brand. I don't see a reason for the Scion brand to exist at all.
The problem with marketing it as a Toyota in that regard is that only the enthusiast will remember any of those cars so it's kind of hard to market outside of that narrow demographic (and they've already taken this route by emphasizing the car's heritage where people who follow the car actually see it). Sadly, most people consider history boring, so it's not a very good marketing ploy for the masses.
They also still have to support the rest of the brand's lineup and at this point they really can't just drop it. The xb and xd may be gone but they still have to support the tC as well as the new iQ. They can't just have 1 or 2 cars for a lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spd229 View Post
The only real difference is a demographic, which in this particular part of the U.S. (SE) you don't even really notice...as people drive cars, meaning at some point or another you're going to see someone of some age driving a scion. Though in other parts it's quite the stigma, as noted by insurance prices and impression of the brand itself...but brands change over time as we've all seen.
That's what I'm hoping will happen is that Scion will be taken more seriously like Lexus is. Even if this happens though it's still going to have that stigma of 'boy racer' and 'teeny bopper'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spd229 View Post
Who knows, maybe after a while Toyota will bring over the high spec GT version as a Toyota rather than a Scion;Though I would worry the difference in price would be semi-steep ($5k-ish minimum), which would then set the tone between the brands for that car. But as it has been mentioned before, that's doubtful.
I highly doubt they are ever going to bring the higher trim here to the states in the form of a Toyota unless they kill off the Scion brand entirely (which, again i highly doubt as i project the FR-S will be very good for sales, and as we know Scion doesn't do trim levels). It goes against the image grain they have propped up with the Toyota brand and it would break the illusion of "the brand" (some really thick people still think each automotive brand is it's own company... "what do you mean Dodge and Chrysler are the same?" ). I currently live in a really backwater part of the state where people at work still tell me "buying foreign cars is hurtin our economy!!"
Natheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #92
Subie
Señor Member
 
Subie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 2013 SSM DZE BRZ
Location: SC
Posts: 946
Thanks: 728
Thanked 392 Times in 195 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natheria View Post
The problem with marketing it as a Toyota in that regard is that only the enthusiast will remember any of those cars so it's kind of hard to market outside of that narrow demographic (and they've already taken this route by emphasizing the car's heritage where people who follow the car actually see it). Sadly, most people consider history boring, so it's not a very good marketing ploy for the masses.
They also still have to support the rest of the brand's lineup and at this point they really can't just drop it. The xb and xd may be gone but they still have to support the tC as well as the new iQ. They can't just have 1 or 2 cars for a lineup.



That's what I'm hoping will happen is that Scion will be taken more seriously like Lexus is. Even if this happens though it's still going to have that stigma of 'boy racer' and 'teeny bopper'.



I highly doubt they are ever going to bring the higher trim here to the states in the form of a Toyota unless they kill off the Scion brand entirely (which, again i highly doubt as i project the FR-S will be very good for sales, and as we know Scion doesn't do trim levels). It goes against the image grain they have propped up with the Toyota brand and it would break the illusion of "the brand" (some really thick people still think each automotive brand is it's own company... "what do you mean Dodge and Chrysler are the same?" ). I currently live in a really backwater part of the state where people at work still tell me "buying foreign cars is hurtin our economy!!"
You make good points but you also reminded me of one of the big reasons I don't like Scion: choice, or rather, the lack thereof.

Scion makes a big deal about mono-spec pricing, a lack of trim levels, and having everything be an accessory. The thing is though, choice is good for the consumer. It is true that it's not to the consumer's benefit to be forced to buy option packages to get individual features, but Scion makes it seem like you can get those individual features separately when that's plainly not the case. With other brands, lesser features like fog lights and a spoiler are often available as individual options, but if you do in fact want leather seats and climate control, you have the choice to choose an option package that includes those features.

Assuming you could even get the individual constituent features of the packages separately, you usually end up paying more than you do if you bundle features together in those packages, even if you end up with features you don't necessarily want. However, in Scion's case, you can't get climate control, you can't get keyless entry and start, and you can't get leather and alcantara seats, HID headlamps, heated seats and mirrors, navigation, all features that a prospective buyer may be interested in. The FR-S is unique in that you can go to the Subaru brand if you want those features, but you're still left with slightly different styling, a different dealer network, and a different pricing model, all things that may be unappealing to Scion's target demographic and even those who don't fit the mold.

What many dealers will do to try to fill the gap is to offer dealer-installed add -ons, like aftermarket leather and heated seats, but these add-ons are often marked-up substantially from their market value. Additionally, it will be hard to value these add-ons when it comes time to resell the car; they either won't add much to the car's value or they'll add nothing at all having been "aftermarket" additions.

Speaking of which, this leads me to my second major gripe about Scion's pricing/accessories model: accessories are often not taken into consideration when valuing the car through tools such as the Kelly Blue Book, devaluing accessorized cars. Things like BeSpoke audio which can add a large amount to the vehicle's overall price, will not be included when tallying-up a car's features, and will therefore not be straightforward to appraise. When it comes time for a Scion owner to trade-up, those accessories will have done very little to boost his car's market price in the eyes of most buyers, both private persons and dealers alike.
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #93
Natheria
Overlord
 
Natheria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: SWP 13 BRZ, 94 Miata
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 105
Thanks: 31
Thanked 66 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Well i never did say that i necessarily liked how Scion does their pricing and accessory/trims. In fact i hate it because again it's all about trying to rope in younger buyers with simplicity (which i despise). It was designed with my generation in mind that spends more time thinking about ipods than automobiles. There are very good reasons why nobody else does it this way, many of the reasons you pointed out.

The only upside to their 'Pure Pricing' policy is that it is beneficial for popular new models like the FR-S because it means the dealer can't mark up the price beyond MSRP. Toyota/Scion dealers would have done the same thing Subaru is doing right now if they could get away with it but you pay for this 'feature' down the road when the car becomes less popular and any bargaining chips/hopes of invoice pricing you had go out the window (because it works both ways).

Thankfully I'm the kind of guy who actually prefers the lower trim levels however so the Scion actually fits me better in this regard as well (hell, I'd rather have manual windows/door locks if they actually offered it, I'm weird like that) and until/if Subaru ever gets more of a surplus of cars the FR-S is the only sane choice.

I think we might be getting off topic though...
Natheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #94
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Location: dallas!!!
Posts: 2,646
Thanks: 630
Thanked 1,083 Times in 496 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-JAPAN...sories&vxp=mtr

heres the gt 86 badge, showing because it shows how the back side is made, got 2 pins that secure it on :P dunno if the scion ver will be different
__________________

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carbonBLUE For This Useful Post:
r4m3n (05-09-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #95
YukiHachiRoku
O E M
 
YukiHachiRoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: Bicycle
Location: Chengdu, China
Posts: 810
Thanks: 1,263
Thanked 628 Times in 250 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
At the end of the day, you drive a Scion, because that's how they sold these cars in this country. You can change badges all day long, you're not fooling anyone. Have fun looking yourselves in the mirror and sleeping well at night. gg
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #96
MattR
Running in the 90s
 
MattR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 287
Thanks: 359
Thanked 87 Times in 63 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
At the end of the day, you drive a Scion, because that's how they sold these cars in this country. You can change badges all day long, you're not fooling anyone. Have fun looking yourselves in the mirror and sleeping well at night. gg
Out of curiosity, did you import that 95 Silvia you have in your sig? Like a real-deal OG Japanese RHD Silvia... because they never made that car here. If not, you calling your Nissan 240SX a Silvia is the same thing.
MattR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #97
YukiHachiRoku
O E M
 
YukiHachiRoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: Bicycle
Location: Chengdu, China
Posts: 810
Thanks: 1,263
Thanked 628 Times in 250 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
Out of curiosity, did you import that 95 Silvia you have in your sig? Like a real-deal OG Japanese RHD Silvia... because they never made that car here. If not, you calling your Nissan 240SX a Silvia is the same thing.
A real one when I lived on Yokota AB Japan.
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #98
MattR
Running in the 90s
 
MattR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 287
Thanks: 359
Thanked 87 Times in 63 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
A real one when I lived on Yokota AB Japan.
Well done :happy0180:

Still don't see why you want to troll those looking to re-badge.
MattR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #99
neutron256
Senior Member
 
neutron256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,990
Thanks: 647
Thanked 632 Times in 367 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
At the end of the day, you drive a Scion, because that's how they sold these cars in this country. You can change badges all day long, you're not fooling anyone. Have fun looking yourselves in the mirror and sleeping well at night. gg
I disagree you will probably fool a lot of people, just not ones who know a lot about the car. Even those who do know a lot about it will at least catch their attention.

I know the first time I see one re-badged I'll take notice.
neutron256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #100
Spd229
Senior Member
 
Spd229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: Ultramarine FR-S AT
Location: Atlanta,GA
Posts: 574
Thanks: 222
Thanked 303 Times in 154 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Am I really the only one here who doesn't look at this car differently as a Scion / Subaru / 86?

The only real difference is the interior, the suspension tuning, and the price you pay. Which is moot depending on changes made to the car.

Calling anyone out for rebadging or other cosmetic changes might as well be you trying to justify your purchase or assert yourself.

At the end of the day, you drive your car. Make it what you will.
__________________
Spd229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #101
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Location: dallas!!!
Posts: 2,646
Thanks: 630
Thanked 1,083 Times in 496 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
At the end of the day, you drive a Scion, because that's how they sold these cars in this country. You can change badges all day long, you're not fooling anyone. Have fun looking yourselves in the mirror and sleeping well at night. gg
i was just posting the badge so people can see the prongs, i doubt anyone has scion badges on ebay... lol
__________________

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #102
Turbowned
Senior Member
 
Turbowned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: BRZ 6MT, MK1 MR2 5MT, Audi RS6 5AT
Location: Quincy, MA
Posts: 4,681
Thanks: 1,809
Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,038 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
A brand is supposed to mean a lot more than just the products it sells. I am faithful to the Toyota brand, not the Scion brand. Scion and Toyota have very different meanings to me.

“A brand is a person’s gut feeling about a product, service, or company.” - Marty Neumier, The Brand Gap

It's the same thing as if it were to be badged a Lexus. Would people think differently if this were the Lexus FR-S? Yes, they would, because the Lexus brand has certain pretenses. Regardless of whether or not it's the same car, people think differently about it. Of course a Lexus RX350 is just a Toyota highlander with some gussied up features. But thousands of people buy it thinking they're getting some fantastic luxury car! Why is that? Because of Lexus' brand image.

Like Lexus being associated with Luxury, Toyota is (to most) associated with dependable, reliable cars and (to some like me) excellent motorsports heritage. Scion has associated themselves with being hip, fresh, and new, or at least that's what the aging marketing reps are trying to make the brand appear to be.

In the end, it's all about who you want to be associated with. Do I want to be associated with those who enjoy classic sporty cars like the Supra, MR2, Celica, even Starlet and Corolla, or do I want to be associated with the guy driving the xB or xD? My best friend's 60-yr-old mother drives a bright blue body-kitted xB. She is not hip. She is not fresh, or cool. She bought it because it's spacious and cheap.

Since I don't have the choice to get a Toyota, I'll take a Subaru, thanks. If the Scion brand image doesn't bother you, then great! Maybe this car will help change that brand image, because right now I think it's pretty lame.
__________________

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT - Vortech supercharged
2003 Audi RS6 quattro 5AT - 4.2L biturbo V8
1987 Toyota MR2 hardtop 5MT - 1.6L 20v 4AGE
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #103
Lonewolf
Censorship is Oppression
 
Lonewolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: Moped
Location: CA
Posts: 3,130
Thanks: 1,893
Thanked 1,410 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The "FRS" is coming off of my car...need to have symmetry out back
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #104
RiskyTrousers
Senior Member
 
RiskyTrousers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: '87 Corolla GTS, '13 FR-S 6MT
Location: United States
Posts: 332
Thanks: 47
Thanked 113 Times in 58 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm going to re-badge mine with GT-R 86 MR F ZR-1 SupraTT!
I'll follow this with some sweet @$$ Japanese characters down the front fenders that actually mean "super market" or "furniture".

BooYa!
RiskyTrousers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiskyTrousers For This Useful Post:
YukiHachiRoku (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #105
MattR
Running in the 90s
 
MattR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 287
Thanks: 359
Thanked 87 Times in 63 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyTrousers View Post
I'll follow this with some sweet @$$ Japanese characters down the front fenders that actually mean "super market" or "furniture".
MattR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #106
Turbowned
Senior Member
 
Turbowned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: BRZ 6MT, MK1 MR2 5MT, Audi RS6 5AT
Location: Quincy, MA
Posts: 4,681
Thanks: 1,809
Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,038 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyTrousers View Post
I'm going to re-badge mine with GT-R 86 MR F ZR-1 SupraTT!
I'll follow this with some sweet @$$ Japanese characters down the front fenders that actually mean "super market" or "furniture".

BooYa!

All I could think of when I read this was the Civics from "True Crime Streets of LA"
Couldn't find a screenshot of one with Kanji all down the side... damn!

__________________

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT - Vortech supercharged
2003 Audi RS6 quattro 5AT - 4.2L biturbo V8
1987 Toyota MR2 hardtop 5MT - 1.6L 20v 4AGE
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #107
TuxedoCartman
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: '13 86
Location: Exiled to Las Vegas
Posts: 665
Thanks: 305
Thanked 574 Times in 218 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyTrousers View Post
I'm going to re-badge mine with GT-R 86 MR F ZR-1 SupraTT!
I'll follow this with some sweet @$$ Japanese characters down the front fenders that actually mean "super market" or "furniture".

BooYa!
Would that make it a hachi-kagu?
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #108
YukiHachiRoku
O E M
 
YukiHachiRoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: Bicycle
Location: Chengdu, China
Posts: 810
Thanks: 1,263
Thanked 628 Times in 250 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
A brand is supposed to mean a lot more than just the products it sells. I am faithful to the Toyota brand, not the Scion brand. Scion and Toyota have very different meanings to me.

“A brand is a person’s gut feeling about a product, service, or company.” - Marty Neumier, The Brand Gap

It's the same thing as if it were to be badged a Lexus. Would people think differently if this were the Lexus FR-S? Yes, they would, because the Lexus brand has certain pretenses. Regardless of whether or not it's the same car, people think differently about it. Of course a Lexus RX350 is just a Toyota highlander with some gussied up features. But thousands of people buy it thinking they're getting some fantastic luxury car! Why is that? Because of Lexus' brand image.

Like Lexus being associated with Luxury, Toyota is (to most) associated with dependable, reliable cars and (to some like me) excellent motorsports heritage. Scion has associated themselves with being hip, fresh, and new, or at least that's what the aging marketing reps are trying to make the brand appear to be.

In the end, it's all about who you want to be associated with. Do I want to be associated with those who enjoy classic sporty cars like the Supra, MR2, Celica, even Starlet and Corolla, or do I want to be associated with the guy driving the xB or xD? My best friend's 60-yr-old mother drives a bright blue body-kitted xB. She is not hip. She is not fresh, or cool. She bought it because it's spacious and cheap.

Since I don't have the choice to get a Toyota, I'll take a Subaru, thanks. If the Scion brand image doesn't bother you, then great! Maybe this car will help change that brand image, because right now I think it's pretty lame.
I miss living in Japan, where Acuras are just Hondas, Infinitis are just Nissans, and Lexus's are just Toyotas.
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YukiHachiRoku For This Useful Post:
Turbowned (05-11-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #109
YukiHachiRoku
O E M
 
YukiHachiRoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: Bicycle
Location: Chengdu, China
Posts: 810
Thanks: 1,263
Thanked 628 Times in 250 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyTrousers View Post
I'm going to re-badge mine with GT-R 86 MR F ZR-1 SupraTT!
I'll follow this with some sweet @$$ Japanese characters down the front fenders that actually mean "super market" or "furniture".

BooYa!
I'm gonna put Lexus badges on mine, along with Type R stickers on the side!
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #110
Nate219BRZ
Senior Member
 
Nate219BRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: Rip 04 golf gti rip 05 scion TC
Location: NWI
Posts: 230
Thanks: 68
Thanked 59 Times in 25 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If I decide to do anything, its not going to be a RE-BADGE. I'll take off the badges measure the pins out and design a skull and cross bones badge and use that. My reason, when I purchased my `05 Tc, and I did so like I did my BRZ, BLIND (no info, no test drive, not ever seeing the car). I was sad to see another one that some OLD LADY, that walked up to me in the parking lot of my local grocery store and started asking questions, then 2 weeks later had a car shipped from out of state. EXACT SAME SPEC and COLOR. Yes, I do realize that Tc turned into a "chick" car, but give me a break I was a Senior in highschool with a brand new car that I worked for. so that kind of pissed me off. That's why this time around I went with the BRZ, for the potential of exclusivity (for hopefully a little while longer then 2 weeks). You cannot imagine my 18 year old RAGE!!!!! If that lady or any old lady walks up and starts asking questions this time, I'm going to tell her its a BUICK.
Nate219BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I become that guy that imports Toyota 86 badges from Japan to USA tranzformer Off-Topic Lounge 37 02-18-2012 01:57 PM
Anyone going to switch badges? DougieFresh Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 60 09-28-2011 01:56 AM
Dealer Installed Badges ToyotaObsession Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 55 05-13-2011 11:16 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.