follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
WORKS
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #67
Mango22
Winter is Coming

Drives: GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
Aside from the blind-spot issue this is by far my biggest gripe with the Toyobaru after having several minutes in the seat playing around -extremely notchy shifter, I wonder if you would not tire of it pretty quickly in daily driving. I don't feel that way about the shifter in my Tiburon, it's got much longer throws and certainly isn't elegant but at least it doesn't feel like I am trying to jam uncooperative gearsets together!

May have to test drive an Abarth. Saw a nicely optioned 500 with big wheels a few weeks ago for the first time -loved the look.
Edit: just read some reviews. Don't think it's in the 86's league.
I am getting the BRZ in a auto because i like the transmission and the rev matching. The BRZ I test drove had a nice short shift point but IMO it was quite notchy and it took some time to get used to the clutch pedal draw and catch point. I'm happy with my choices, no matter what people say about getting an Automatic in the BRZ. My Abarth order is for a manual 5 speed for sure. (duh, it only comes in a manual, for now)

Mango22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #68
Mango22
Winter is Coming

Drives: GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOv3st3r View Post
Cross shopping this with a mini cooper I can see, but with an FR-S/BRZ, not so much.
I agree, but the Abarth gave a totally different and engaging driving experience just driving around normal roads. I liked both experiences so that is why I'm getting both cars. I was originally going to get another BMW which would have cost me around 48k + taxes and tags, etc so I figured I could get both of these cars for the price of one BMW. Am I being practical...probably not but will I look forward to driving every day? Yes, yes and yes!

My BRZ out the door price = 28k
My Abarth out the door price = $25k

BMW out the door price around 52k
Mango22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango22 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-04-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #69
Turbowned

Drives: BRZ 6MT, MK1 MR2 5MT, Audi RS6 5AT
Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,065 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Garage
The Superbowl commercial will get me to test drive one of these. I would never buy one, but I love that they are sold here!!

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT - 2.0L flat 4
2003 Audi RS6 quattro 5AT - 4.2L biturbo V8
1987 Toyota MR2 hardtop - Flintstone powered
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #70
Itgb

Drives: 2003 BMW M3, 2006 Scion xB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango22 View Post
I have gone through many cars in my life but these two cars will not be leaving my stable. After I test drove the Abarth I couldn't get out of my mind how much fun that car was to drive. I haven't felt that way in a long time. Okay, maybe not that long ago (BRZ test drive) but the Abarth had a overall visceral feel to it. The BRZ is a more serious driver focused car, that I look forward to tracking and auto crossing, but the Abarth is going to be my daily driver and I look forward to making my daily grind more enjoyable.

Wow. Very jealous. I would do exactly the same if I knew my wife wouldn't kill me.:happy0180:
Old 05-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #71
DeepHunta

Drives: '05 Outback Wgn, '05 Lotus Elise
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Good, a thread with the Abarth in it. This car is probably 3rd on my list. BRZ first, John Cooper Works second, and Abarth third. But after reading the "vs Mini" thread, I scrathed the JCW out.

I think it's a good idea to test drive an Abarth. I hope the Fiat in my area has one to test drive already. That exhuast just burbles everytime you shift gears, me likey. Also, the 200hp is called Abarth Venom. They said most performance parts are going to be manufactured by Mopar (yup, that's Mopar...as in Dodge's "performance" line).
DeepHunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #72
Dr.Science

Drives: WRB BRZ LTD, Nissan Frontier XE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I test drove the Abarth recently, and I liked it a lot. I definitely prefer the look of it to the Mini, but not the BRZ. The seating position was high, and I didn't love the clutch (or the giant shift knob). It had great acceleration, and I liked the exhaust note.

The problem I have with the US Abarth is that it feels bigger (taller) than the European version. Also, the guy at the dealership was trying to sell it to me for $2.5K over MSRP. W/the options (17" wheels, leather), the price was almost 29K...more than a BRZ Limited.

It's definitely a fun little car, but I wouldn't choose it over the BRZ.
Dr.Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #73
Bristecom

Drives: 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, Evo X MR
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
I think they look hella ugly!!!
Same. They don't look like a sports car in the slightest. And FWD... No way I would want one.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:29 AM   #74
Bristecom

Drives: 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, Evo X MR
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
Aside from the blind-spot issue this is by far my biggest gripe with the Toyobaru after having several minutes in the seat playing around -extremely notchy shifter, I wonder if you would not tire of it pretty quickly in daily driving. I don't feel that way about the shifter in my Tiburon, it's got much longer throws and certainly isn't elegant but at least it doesn't feel like I am trying to jam uncooperative gearsets together!
Ichitaka said it feels a lot better while driving. And it'll likely break in.