follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #43
tomaszjanczak

Drives: Silver Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
One more update for now...

I'll be picking my car up from the dealer this evening. They had the car for 3 days and did not hear any noises. Coolant was a little low so they topped that off, but that's about it. They did start a case with Subaru and a Subaru rep saw that video I posted originally, but if they couldn't hear the noise in person, there's really nothing they could have done. I'm gonna record a video of every single time I start the car and write down how long the car has been sitting for etc.. maybe there's a pattern to this.

My service advisor said the Subaru rep did say there might be a problem with the timing belt/chain tensioner and somewhere there the oil can drain out from and that's what's making the knocking sound when it's dry. Who knows?

I just hope the knocking doesn't happen again when I have the car! Maybe just sitting in the dealer's lot was enough to fix it! Haha! It sucks, it's like when you go to the doctor because you are so sick but the moment you walk in the door, you feel great. I swear the same thing is happening because when I had the car, it knocked multiple times every single day.

I also cut open my oil filter and saw 2 very small, but visible metal particles but otherwise, it was very clean. Don't know if that's normal or not. Also sent out an oil sample from my last oil change to Blackstone Labs yesterday so I'll be curious to see what the results are.

Well, that's all for now. I'm really curious if it will knock when I start the car at the dealer later today, lol. At least I'll be recording it.
tomaszjanczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #44
litemup
Banned

Drives: around
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaszjanczak View Post
One more update for now...

I'll be picking my car up from the dealer this evening. They had the car for 3 days and did not hear any noises. Coolant was a little low so they topped that off, but that's about it. They did start a case with Subaru and a Subaru rep saw that video I posted originally, but if they couldn't hear the noise in person, there's really nothing they could have done. I'm gonna record a video of every single time I start the car and write down how long the car has been sitting for etc.. maybe there's a pattern to this.

My service advisor said the Subaru rep did say there might be a problem with the timing belt/chain tensioner and somewhere there the oil can drain out from and that's what's making the knocking sound when it's dry. Who knows?

I just hope the knocking doesn't happen again when I have the car! Maybe just sitting in the dealer's lot was enough to fix it! Haha! It sucks, it's like when you go to the doctor because you are so sick but the moment you walk in the door, you feel great. I swear the same thing is happening because when I had the car, it knocked multiple times every single day.

I also cut open my oil filter and saw 2 very small, but visible metal particles but otherwise, it was very clean. Don't know if that's normal or not. Also sent out an oil sample from my last oil change to Blackstone Labs yesterday so I'll be curious to see what the results are.

Well, that's all for now. I'm really curious if it will knock when I start the car at the dealer later today, lol. At least I'll be recording it.
You know, that's an interesting point about the timing-chain tensioner.

<scurries off to find some related info>
litemup is offline   Reply With Quote