follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Racer X Fabrication
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes.

User Tag List

Old 04-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #35
AVOturboworld

Drives: 2013 "AVO Orange" FR-S
Thanked 2,247 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
We'll have coilovers for the car that, I'll be the first to say it, are for track oriented owners only. While they are reasonable on the road, they are not designed for it. We set them up based on a lot of time attacks and circuit events on race tracks in Japan.

I also have no doubts that half the sales of them will be for people that simply want to lower their cars and enjoy the extra firmness. That's fine too, it's their car and what I feel is comfortable for daily driving and what they feel is comfortable is going to be two different setups. Whatever the magazine writers will say about the suspension, even if it's the most perfect thing in the world for them, for a lot of people the stock suspension will be too soft, for some it will be too hard, and for others close enough.

Regards,

Paul Hansen
www.avoturboworld.com
www.facebook.com/BRZSportsCarClub
AVOturboworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #36
Sasquachulator

Drives: 2006 Toyota Corolla XRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well the reason i want to lower it is to get rid of wheel gap.

But considering the FRS has nowhere near the gargantuan gap that my Corolla had (2.5inches), it may not be neccessary.

I already hate driving over some of the speed bumps around here (some seem taller than others, so ive 'clunked' the underside a few times).....and it seems like my car is around the same or maybe slightly higher than a stock FRS ground clearance.

The TRD 86 ride height looks perfect to me, and that apparently only has 15mm of drop (which is nothing). Perhaps its bigger wheels helped fill some gap.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #37
chuie

Drives: Toyota Camry Touring 1999
Would anyone consider tuning the suspension the other way, that is to make the ride softer for long distance driving? Or would that compromise the handling and the whole idea of the car?
chuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #38
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,476 Times in 687 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuie View Post
Would anyone consider tuning the suspension the other way, that is to make the ride softer for long distance driving? Or would that compromise the handling and the whole idea of the car?
You can soften the suspension without hurting performance too badly. ou'll essentially be blunting the response. You will have to find some place that can sell you coilovers or struts/springs with custom valving and rates. RCE might be able to pull that off.

That said, however, the question becomes, why get a BRZ? The point of the car is it's responsiveness and communication with the driver. If you want a car that's sporty but comfortable, there might be some better choices out there. Maybe a 3 series BMW? Just maybe something to consider.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #39
samsam5886

Drives: Honda S2000
I feel the same way. I want to retain the original balance that was engineered into the car but I also want something lower and stiffer for when I get grippier tires. I was thinking of retaining the original F to R spring rate ratio and then adjusting damping to suit my taste. I think this should be possible with Swift custom coilover springs
samsam5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #40
Dan Ruddock

Drives: integra
I am shopping nation wide right now for a manual Lexus SC300 which is a rare car.

As soon as I see an ad for lowered SC I move on and keep looking. Kind of frustrating and making my search more difficult. Suspension travel on the streets is as good as gold and the stock wheel gap looks ideal to me.

Yes I still want a FRS but it will have to wait a while and the SC will fill the gap. Dan
Dan Ruddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:00 AM   #41
chuie

Drives: Toyota Camry Touring 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
You can soften the suspension without hurting performance too badly. ou'll essentially be blunting the response. You will have to find some place that can sell you coilovers or struts/springs with custom valving and rates. RCE might be able to pull that off.

That said, however, the question becomes, why get a BRZ? The point of the car is it's responsiveness and communication with the driver. If you want a car that's sporty but comfortable, there might be some better choices out there. Maybe a 3 series BMW? Just maybe something to consider.
I think the 3 series is out of my price range. It also doesn't really suit my character; I definitely don't look the executive type, and I'm only 21 right now haha.

Ultimately I do want is a car that is fun to drive, even if that comes at the cost of some comfort. I'm still very much in favour of the 86/BRZ; I'm just looking at all the different options possible until the time comes when I can afford it Which sadly won't be for another few years..
chuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #42
Khalis

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine 86
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djliquidsteele View Post
I'll be the first to say it. The only reason I want springs is to reduce the wheel gap. In order to do this, since the car is lower, you need to stiffen up the springs so id doesn't bottom out. After you do that, the shocks may not be ideally suited to those springs for proper handling. So in essence, I want either a spring/strut combo or coil over system that maintains most of the ride quality/performance of the stock suspension, but drops it 1.5-2 inches.
I've wondered about this for months now but does the TRD lowering springs offer that? As in lower the car x amount of mm/inches but still have the stock ride quality/performance?
Khalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:09 AM   #43
Xdragonxb0i

Drives: ex500r
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
i want lowering springs, just to get rid of the wheel gap.

first mods i will do is to make the car look how i want it: lowering springs/coilovers. tinting, Lips and spoilers, HID, Rims+tires

performance will come 2nd
Intake, exhaust, then maybe FI
Xdragonxb0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #44
Moshpit37
FR-S Owner!

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6AT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuie View Post
After watching the BRZ development video, it seems to me like the suspension was actually tuned a bit on the soft side, but able to keep its goal of superior handling due to the lowered COG. This way they could make the ride more comfortable than most similar, stiff-sprung cars, and the softer suspension also allows for better tire contact for better handling. I really like this lack of compromise that the engineers were able to accomplish. Just makes me want to drive it even more! CAN'T WAIT!!!
Moshpit37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #45
Evil86

Drives: Monkey-butt red FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Sway bar first. Then I adjust oversteer/understeer for autox RT class.
Evil86 is offline   Reply With Quote