follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Moddiction
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #23
cc700
i ride fixed gear bikes
 
Join Date: May 2011
Drives: 2.5rs
Location: wa
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i did it myself. if i had simply done a subpar job and others were able to make it evenly lit, i would feel differently. every one i've seen is worse than OEM... and paying someone else to do it is ridiculous, how much money do you want to waste on having LED lighting?


but that wasn't my point. my point was why do it besides 'it looks cool'?
cc700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #24
00NissanNinja
Senior Member
 
00NissanNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: '14 BRZ '13 Triumph ST3R
Location: SW OH
Posts: 284
Thanks: 123
Thanked 97 Times in 58 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@old greg ah, I get ya

Haven't had a problem with my LEDs in three years(and they are just about everywhere), I prefer a pure white color to a blue tint though (blue LEDs can be a bit intense sometimes).
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:22 AM   #25
Slide
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Drives: Toyota Aristo
Location: Brisbane,Aust
Posts: 796
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc700 View Post
Why?

in fact, to every person that likes led i'd ask the same thing:


WHY?

halogen lamps are a subset of incandescent. most if not all interior lamps are not halogen, they are incandescent and low power.

if you think blue light looks nice, that's fine... but you should realize that there are only a handful of reasons why LEDs are 'better' and none of those apply to a car that was designed for incandescents in the first ten years of use.

1. longevity
led's last a long time when they are high quality and shielded from the elements properly. when they're not, they do fail and generally the super cheap ones are cheap for a reason- high quality costs more.

2. power usage
led's are very efficient, and don't have as much thermal output so more of the input gets converted to light. however, the power usage has to be specifically designed into the eletrical system. if you just place an LED into a system that is used to pulling the type of power a small, efficient incandescent bulb pulls, it will likely not use any less power, especially with a resistor, the resistor will eat up the rest of the power. that's its job.

3. looks/aethetic
leds have a different wavelength and spectrum and generally a different quality of light to them. they are generally lower in spectrum coverage as most of these 'cool white' leds are just blue leds with some nasty chemical filters over them to make them appear whiter. i say nasty because the ways they make these are more noxious and toxic even than incandescents, which require tons of mining and toxic manufacturing themselves. a lot of people don't like the yellowish white of an incandescent because it gives a calmer, more 'fire-like' dim feeling, even if it's not dimmer.

the thing is... the car is designed for a particular type of bulb. putting in LEDs to an incandescent system can work quite well but it can also be a HUGE problem with spotty/uneven gauges and intense light that is generally counter-productive to night vision and being able to see well outside of the car.


longevity: incandescent lights are such low power, they're going to last ten years or more. they will be cheap to replace. you can replace them one at a time. you aren't going to have to worry about their quality because they're oem. LED's can fail at any time just from getting too hot. maybe you leave your heater on and just because of how the air is blowing inside the cabin, it fries your leds. or maybe not. but this isn't a reason to do a conversion, especially less than five years off the lot.

power usage - not going to help. the alternator's draw isn't going to be affected, there are no noticeable energy savings.

looks - i think it looks dumb. at worst, you will have lights that fail without warning and you won't be able to adjust brightness the way you can with incandescents. at best, you have blue lights. gross.

So why do people like this? because you want to have a high end bmw? so stupid. I did an LED conversion on my impreza, it's the worst thing i've done and i'm very unhappy with it. gauges are all sorts of unevenly lit, and one led went out near the HVAC.



also, for LED fog lights i'd be concerned about color rendering indexes, even those CREE XM-L will have a very hard time cutting through fog and it will be harder to see by them through fog conditions.
unless, you only like fog lights for looks and you run them in clear conditions. in which case, see above. stupid.
Shut the fuck up...
Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #26
[M]
Member
 
[M]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: Toyota Celica GTS
Location: N. Cali
Posts: 32
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc700 View Post
Why?

in fact, to every person that likes led i'd ask the same thing:


WHY?

halogen lamps are a subset of incandescent. most if not all interior lamps are not halogen, they are incandescent and low power.

if you think blue light looks nice, that's fine... but you should realize that there are only a handful of reasons why LEDs are 'better' and none of those apply to a car that was designed for incandescents in the first ten years of use.

1. longevity
led's last a long time when they are high quality and shielded from the elements properly. when they're not, they do fail and generally the super cheap ones are cheap for a reason- high quality costs more.

2. power usage
led's are very efficient, and don't have as much thermal output so more of the input gets converted to light. however, the power usage has to be specifically designed into the eletrical system. if you just place an LED into a system that is used to pulling the type of power a small, efficient incandescent bulb pulls, it will likely not use any less power, especially with a resistor, the resistor will eat up the rest of the power. that's its job.

3. looks/aethetic
leds have a different wavelength and spectrum and generally a different quality of light to them. they are generally lower in spectrum coverage as most of these 'cool white' leds are just blue leds with some nasty chemical filters over them to make them appear whiter. i say nasty because the ways they make these are more noxious and toxic even than incandescents, which require tons of mining and toxic manufacturing themselves. a lot of people don't like the yellowish white of an incandescent because it gives a calmer, more 'fire-like' dim feeling, even if it's not dimmer.

the thing is... the car is designed for a particular type of bulb. putting in LEDs to an incandescent system can work quite well but it can also be a HUGE problem with spotty/uneven gauges and intense light that is generally counter-productive to night vision and being able to see well outside of the car.


longevity: incandescent lights are such low power, they're going to last ten years or more. they will be cheap to replace. you can replace them one at a time. you aren't going to have to worry about their quality because they're oem. LED's can fail at any time just from getting too hot. maybe you leave your heater on and just because of how the air is blowing inside the cabin, it fries your leds. or maybe not. but this isn't a reason to do a conversion, especially less than five years off the lot.

power usage - not going to help. the alternator's draw isn't going to be affected, there are no noticeable energy savings.

looks - i think it looks dumb. at worst, you will have lights that fail without warning and you won't be able to adjust brightness the way you can with incandescents. at best, you have blue lights. gross.

So why do people like this? because you want to have a high end bmw? so stupid. I did an LED conversion on my impreza, it's the worst thing i've done and i'm very unhappy with it. gauges are all sorts of unevenly lit, and one led went out near the HVAC.



also, for LED fog lights i'd be concerned about color rendering indexes, even those CREE XM-L will have a very hard time cutting through fog and it will be harder to see by them through fog conditions.
unless, you only like fog lights for looks and you run them in clear conditions. in which case, see above. stupid.



Sorry you had a bad experience with the Impreza, I, like yourself, did a half-ass job of doing a conversion in my first car. So I could see how you could think it was bad when you had spotty gauging and a bad one near the HVAC. But after using quality LEDs from reputable distributors, I haven't had any problems that you've discussed. Regarding you comment about shielding from the elements, most of the leds I would plan to change are either in the cabin or in some enclosure. Personally, like I mentioned before, I just like them. Even as you described it as a fire-like incandescent, I prefer something crisp and clean. Currently, the cool white I have now is not so blue as you would think. It's more white than anything, and no I think it is free of any harmful chemicals.
__________________
[M - Subaru BRZ]
[M] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #27
Longhorn248
Hook 'em
 
Longhorn248's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,948
Thanks: 68
Thanked 147 Times in 76 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc700 View Post
i did it myself. if i had simply done a subpar job and others were able to make it evenly lit, i would feel differently. every one i've seen is worse than OEM... and paying someone else to do it is ridiculous, how much money do you want to waste on having LED lighting?


but that wasn't my point. my point was why do it besides 'it looks cool'?
There are people that can make them evenly lit. Like you said you did a bad job and were too cheap to pay someone to do it. "It looks cool" and "It goes faster" are pretty much the two reasons people do any modifications to a car...
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #28
old greg
Rocket Surgeon
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Location: FL
Posts: 1,313
Thanks: 10
Thanked 137 Times in 82 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [M] View Post
I think it is free of any harmful chemicals.
White LEDs consist of a blue diode (usually InGaN) with a coating of synthetic garnet (Yttrium-Aluminum-Garnet) over the diodes in that absorbs some of the naturally blue light coming out of the diode and emits it at a lower energy state (longer wavelength, yellowish specifically). The combination of these wavelengths appears white to our eyes.

The coating, in and of itself, isn't toxic (and it's encased in epoxy besides). It's the massive quantity of acid and mercury that is used in the mining/extraction of Yttrium that cc700 is referring to. Mining in general is a very dirty business, mining for rare earth elements is an order of magnitude worse.

The ironic thing is, "cool white" LEDs use less Yttrium than "warm white" LEDs, and as such, are better for the environment.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #29
cc700
i ride fixed gear bikes
 
Join Date: May 2011
Drives: 2.5rs
Location: wa
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide View Post
Shut the fuck up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [M] View Post
Sorry you had a bad experience with the Impreza, I, like yourself, did a half-ass job of doing a conversion in my first car. So I could see how you could think it was bad when you had spotty gauging and a bad one near the HVAC. But after using quality LEDs from reputable distributors, I haven't had any problems that you've discussed. Regarding you comment about shielding from the elements, most of the leds I would plan to change are either in the cabin or in some enclosure. Personally, like I mentioned before, I just like them. Even as you described it as a fire-like incandescent, I prefer something crisp and clean. Currently, the cool white I have now is not so blue as you would think. It's more white than anything, and no I think it is free of any harmful chemicals.
:happy0180: good for you then. maybe LED's have gotten better since i did mine. fwiw, i switched back to red 'bulb covers' on incandescents. white i think would bother my eyes' night vision too much, but everyone reacts differently to light so if you think you can see well i'll let you decide what you prefer on the inside of your car, as long as you aren't compensating with hid conversions or using your high beams or anything else that bugs me on your forward lighting. (all of which would make it worse off than just keeping everything stock, or doing a retrofit but not having bright interior lighting)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
There are people that can make them evenly lit. Like you said you did a bad job and were too cheap to pay someone to do it. "It looks cool" and "It goes faster" are pretty much the two reasons people do any modifications to a car...
doing a good job with the 03 impreza cluster is hard work and you risk having to reset the needles or breaking them... it just wasn't worth it to me to waste more time on it. it's also not worth it to me to pay someone else to do it. call me cheap but i give more freely of my time and money to things far better and more important than cars to listen to this.


i was looking for discussion about what makes LEDs better in a car that isn't designed with them. evidently, no one wants to discuss that, they just want to talk up an inferior product(even the highest quality led conversion bulbs are an inferior product to using what the car was designed for) just because it looks cool. 'it goes faster' does not apply here. 'it increases road-feel' does not apply here. 'it's safer' does not apply here. 'it's more practical' does not apply here. 'it increases the car's utility' does not apply here. 'it makes the car more efficient' does not apply here.

just as long as you're willing to agree to that, i'm willing to say that i did a bad job trying to convert my car's interior illumination and that i'm too cheap to spend money on getting it redone when it's all just for looks anyway.



more to the point, if i get a BRZ/FR-S i will be keeping the bulbs stock. odds are if i wanted to resell it, a potential buyer would take my opinion on this over yours, and i'm happier not spending money trying to look cool.
cc700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #30
Longhorn248
Hook 'em
 
Longhorn248's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,948
Thanks: 68
Thanked 147 Times in 76 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc700 View Post


:happy0180: good for you then. maybe LED's have gotten better since i did mine. fwiw, i switched back to red 'bulb covers' on incandescents. white i think would bother my eyes' night vision too much, but everyone reacts differently to light so if you think you can see well i'll let you decide what you prefer on the inside of your car, as long as you aren't compensating with hid conversions or using your high beams or anything else that bugs me on your forward lighting. (all of which would make it worse off than just keeping everything stock, or doing a retrofit but not having bright interior lighting)

doing a good job with the 03 impreza cluster is hard work and you risk having to reset the needles or breaking them... it just wasn't worth it to me to waste more time on it. it's also not worth it to me to pay someone else to do it. call me cheap but i give more freely of my time and money to things far better and more important than cars to listen to this.


i was looking for discussion about what makes LEDs better in a car that isn't designed with them. evidently, no one wants to discuss that, they just want to talk up an inferior product(even the highest quality led conversion bulbs are an inferior product to using what the car was designed for) just because it looks cool. 'it goes faster' does not apply here. 'it increases road-feel' does not apply here. 'it's safer' does not apply here. 'it's more practical' does not apply here. 'it increases the car's utility' does not apply here. 'it makes the car more efficient' does not apply here.

just as long as you're willing to agree to that, i'm willing to say that i did a bad job trying to convert my car's interior illumination and that i'm too cheap to spend money on getting it redone when it's all just for looks anyway.



more to the point, if i get a BRZ/FR-S i will be keeping the bulbs stock. odds are if i wanted to resell it, a potential buyer would take my opinion on this over yours, and i'm happier not spending money trying to look cool.
That was my point exactly. They are just for looks and fall into the same category as any other purely aesthetic mod that someone does to a car. For best resale value a person should leave the entire vehicle stock, but the majority of the people that are crazy enough about a car to post on a forum about it probably aren't going to do that. :happy0180:
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #31
old greg
Rocket Surgeon
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Location: FL
Posts: 1,313
Thanks: 10
Thanked 137 Times in 82 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc700 View Post
i was looking for discussion about what makes LEDs better in a car that isn't designed with them. evidently, no one wants to discuss that, they just want to talk up an inferior product(even the highest quality led conversion bulbs are an inferior product to using what the car was designed for) just because it looks cool.
That's probably because it's a purely aesthetic thing. There's no reason to do it except "it looks cool". Although, in defense of the LED, bulb covers will by necessity block a fair amount of the light coming from an incandescent bulb, causing a dimmer than stock dashboard. Properly done, LEDs can be used to change illumination color while maintaining factory illumination levels
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #32
00NissanNinja
Senior Member
 
00NissanNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: '14 BRZ '13 Triumph ST3R
Location: SW OH
Posts: 284
Thanks: 123
Thanked 97 Times in 58 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
^+1
and in a lot of places such as my trunk the LEDs I was able to get brighten up the area much better than stock.
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #33
GT3076rBRZ
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: VW Mkv track car
Location: Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I will be doing leds for sure. License plate lights are must as well as the interior dome and map lights. If there is a trunk light that will be replaced as well as if there is a engine bay bulb.

Led fogs... That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If your gonna upgrade those please get hid projector fogs.
GT3076rBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #34
R0ME0
ハチロク
 
R0ME0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: Evo X
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 164
Thanks: 31
Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do you need built in resistors these days on LEDs so that they don't throw an error code? I thought only on Euro cars?
R0ME0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #35
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie
 
Draco-REX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: 13 BRZ, 99 RS, 14 S5
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,673
Thanks: 91
Thanked 1,241 Times in 590 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'll probably convert the exterior lights to LED like I did with my STI. But I leave the interior lights alone because I like the warmer colors for my eyes.

I may re-do the lights on the STI. There have been some advancements since and I wouldn't mind some of the brighter bulbs available today.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #36
denkigrve
Random Internet dad
 
denkigrve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 1,697
Thanks: 571
Thanked 673 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc700 View Post
I just want to commend you on responding to a retarded troll post with that and not starting a battle of the internet insult wits. Well played my good sir. Well played.

:happy0180:
denkigrve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #37
jjdrivesajazz
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: your LED source
Location: San Francisco, Bay Area, CA
Posts: 617
Thanks: 37
Thanked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
take a look at this thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4127
__________________
V V V V CLICK ME V V V V

YOUR #1 SOURCE FOR AUTOMOTIVE LIGHTING, USE COUPON CODE "FT86" FOR SAVINGS WHILE CHECKING OUT
jjdrivesajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #38
encity5
Senior Member
 
encity5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: NYC
Posts: 581
Thanks: 217
Thanked 256 Times in 107 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
What are the sizes of the dome lights and various other interior lights of this car? (trunk)

And does anyone have any links to stores where they got their LEDs that fit in this car?
encity5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to encity5 For This Useful Post:
jjdrivesajazz (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #39
jjdrivesajazz
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: your LED source
Location: San Francisco, Bay Area, CA
Posts: 617
Thanks: 37
Thanked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by encity5 View Post
What are the sizes of the dome lights and various other interior lights of this car? (trunk)

And does anyone have any links to stores where they got their LEDs that fit in this car?
see my signature link
__________________
V V V V CLICK ME V V V V

YOUR #1 SOURCE FOR AUTOMOTIVE LIGHTING, USE COUPON CODE "FT86" FOR SAVINGS WHILE CHECKING OUT
jjdrivesajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.