follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-03-2014, 01:13 AM   #29
Scalzo

Drives: Asphalt FRS <3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Alright so I managed to reflash the tune and it seems to be fine it's running a little lean but no problem so far. I managed to do a 3rd gear pull and be able to log it. Sent an email to JR we'll see what happens nd what he says
Old 07-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #30
steveoexige

Drives: UK GT86 in White with alcantara
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Interested to hear your findings as my car seems to have the same issues as described in your original post. I've running the JDL turbo kit with a GTX3071r and 550cc injectors. My setup is running MAF off boost and then speed density thereafter (which is all russian to me I'm just quoting my tuner here in the UK).

Mine does always start though it just cranks a bit longer than I'd like when warm before catching and firing up.
steveoexige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #31
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalzo View Post
Car doesn't start now got it towed home .. Hopefully he gets back soon

It stalled while I was coming to a stop.. Driving the beater now
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Injector tuning is out of whack... you are getting high fuel trim errors and the ECU trying to compensate for that error is what is causing the car to stall on stops...

He corrected this same issue on a car just days ago.

Might be time to get a tune from the best... @jamesm
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Ironsquid (07-10-2014), jamesm (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #32
Scalzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Injector tuning is out of whack... you are getting high fuel trim errors and the ECU trying to compensate for that error is what is causing the car to stall on stops...

Hey I was gonna message you on Facebook actually.. For some help

So basically my ecutek was out of date I updated it to the newest software loaded up the same map and it seems to be running fine . The only problem I'm having is when I'm just cruising it goes to about 14-15 afr then if I stomp on the gas it'll go to 12-13 and now I'm boosting 8.9 psi.. Before I was boosting 10psi on the same map.
So something doesn't make sense ....

I'm at the point where if jr can't figure it out I'm going back to n/a .. I've been through 2 tuners and not down for another . I have a local garage that tunes but at ridicoulous prices .. I spent 500$ on a dyno tune at prime motoring it ran fantastic when I was in fl. Everything was good until I went back and got my koyo radiator installed ever since then car is sluggish and it didn't boost properly .. But for some reason now everything is fine... I sent him a log with the same tune and I'll see what happens *fingerscrossed*

Old 07-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #33
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Issues starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post

I agree with saying injector tuning may be off.

I would also say that the 3" intake tube and bad MAF placement on the FA20Club kit is also contributing to the issue of stalling. At low speed it's entirely possible that air is not being directed through the MAF as it should but rather around skewing the readings.

It's one thing to have a large intake tube with good enough MAF placement to get good usable readings. It's another to have a large tube with poor MAF placement that causes the ECU to go into WTF mode.

Last edited by ecko04; 07-04-2014 at 06:02 PM.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ecko04 For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #34
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey I was gonna message you on Facebook actually.. For some help

So basically my ecutek was out of date I updated it to the newest software loaded up the same map and it seems to be running fine . The only problem I'm having is when I'm just cruising it goes to about 14-15 afr then if I stomp on the gas it'll go to 12-13 and now I'm boosting 8.9 psi.. Before I was boosting 10psi on the same map.

I'm at the point where if jr can't figure it out I'm going back to n/a .. I've been through 2 tuners and not down for another . I have a local garage that tunes but at ridicoulous prices .. I spent 500$ on a dyno tune at prime motoring it ran fantastic when I was in fl. Everything was good until I went back and got my koyo radiator installed ever since then car is sluggish and it didn't boost properly .. But for some reason now everything is fine... I sent him a log with the same tune and I'll see what happens *fingerscrossed*

Your ECUTek software being out of date wouldn't cause or solve the issues you're experiencing. If you reloaded the same map your boost should be the same. Now there are situations where you may not see the same boost levels but it should come pretty close. Are you using any boost controller? Have you checked for any boost or vacuum leaks recently?

If you're not confident in your tune then I would turn down the boost until you get it sorted out.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #35
enjetek

Drives: 93.5 supra t & prius
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hmmmm. Depending on speed of your cruising 14-15 is normal and might even go leaner since not much fuel is being used. When you mash on it it should go into the lower numbers since it should be richer. I'm a supra guy so I've had to go to a standalone ecu and switched over to map sensors...no worrying about boost leaks too much here.

enjetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #36
enjetek

Drives: 93.5 supra t & prius
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Issues starting

Also I would get more gauges (not too many since you don't want to look too tacky lol) to help you monitor your car. As stated above I wouldn't push anything hard until you get things sorted out. You did mention your radiator - I know with my aem you can do certain things based on operating temp so maybe someone mangled that sensor reading somehow with their work? Are you also venting to atmosphere for bov? Reason I ask is because maf can be sensitive if you do that too - hence map sensor.

enjetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #37
Scalzo

I'll get back to replying your messages tomorrow...

Just a quick update.
Still no answer from JR .

Old 07-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #38
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:

The only thing reloading your ROM did was reset your short term and long term fuel trims. Where are you getting your boost reading from? Unless your boost is EcuTek controlled and you flashed a different ROM, the boost level should not have changed. Good luck with getting JR to correct your tune.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #39
Scalzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
The only thing reloading your ROM did was reset your short term and long term fuel trims. Where are you getting your boost reading from? Unless your boost is EcuTek controlled and you flashed a different ROM, the boost level should not have changed. Good luck with getting JR to correct your tune.

Yeah I'm starting to think , part out the turbo .... Still no response and I sent him a datalog .. Fuck :/

Old 07-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #40
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Yeah I'm starting to think , part out the turbo .... Still no response and I sent him a datalog .. Fuck :/
You probably won't get much for your FA20Club kit. I would try and stick with it or get an @jamesm tune.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #41
Scalzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
You probably won't get much for your FA20Club kit. I would try and stick with it or get an @jamesm tune.

Thing is it's my 2nd tuner and both of these we're recommended by the forum.. I'm starting to think no one can tune it.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #42
ptuning

Drives: White FR-S
Thanked 1,003 Times in 305 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thing is it's my 2nd tuner and both of these we're recommended by the forum.. I'm starting to think no one can tune it.

It would be a pretty long drive for you, but if your car is mechanically sound otherwise, we can tune it. The blow-thru MAF design as it is leaves a lot to be desired, but it can still be tuned well enough to keep fuel trims within reasonable limits.

However, running a custom 2.5" MAF tube with a properly positioned MAF sensor, BOV on the hot side IC tube, and a hybrid speed density blend tune would be the way to go.

Hopefully you can get it resolved at no additional cost to you though.

- Toan
ptuning is offline   Reply With Quote