follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Radiator fan control with EcuTek?

Just wanted to gather some info and invite all tuners to this in regards to some ongoing thoughts I've had about a couple features I'd like to see available in EcuTek tunes.

Whenever I track my car and finish a session and turn the ignition off the park it, I always turn on the radiator fans manually with the interior fan switch with the a/c button depressed and let them run for a few minutes to cool down the engine bay.

I've rarely heard the fans kick into high speed mode when I park the car on their own, but they always turn off or back town to low speed pretty quickly.

I want to know if EcuTek can read my coolant temps and kick the fans into high speed mode at a lower temperature for track days. I don't have any issues with coolant temps with the stock radiator on track but it would be reassuring to have them running at high speed when I'm pushing the car hard.

I'd also like to be able to have a "fan timer" of sorts that keeps the fans running at high speed for 5 minutes or so after shutting the engine off. I've forgotten that I left the fans running on one occasion and the battery almost died. I also don't need the interior ac fan to blow warm air out of the vents so I'd like for it to be independent of the manual AC fan switch and button.

So @moto-mike, @jamesm , @DeliciousTuning and other EcuTek tuners here, are these things possible? Would I risk burning out the stock fans if I ran them in high speed mode for 20-30 min track sessions?

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 06-30-2014 at 08:27 PM.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Also tagging @nelsmar , he's good people too.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
You can set the temperature at which the fans go on and off, but i'm not sure how you'd implement a cooldown timer after shutting the car off. Pretty sure that wouldn't be possible.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have had my fans set to activate at 200F for the past 7 months. On track they basically run the whole time. No different then when the A/C is on. I would not worry about failure.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Just wanted to gather some info and invite all tuners to this in regards to some ongoing thoughts I've had about a couple features I'd like to see available in EcuTek tunes.

Whenever I track my car and finish a session and turn the ignition off the park it, I always turn on the radiator fans manually with the interior fan switch with the a/c button depressed and let them run for a few minutes to cool down the engine bay.

I've rarely heard the fans kick into high speed mode when I park the car on their own, but they always turn off or back town to low speed pretty quickly.

I want to know if EcuTek can read my coolant temps and kick the fans into high speed mode at a lower temperature for track days. I don't have any issues with coolant temps with the stock radiator on track but it would be reassuring to have them running at high speed when I'm pushing the car hard.

I'd also like to be able to have a "fan timer" of sorts that keeps the fans running at high speed for 5 minutes or so after shutting the engine off. I've forgotten that I left the fans running on one occasion and the battery almost died. I also don't need the interior ac fan to blow warm air out of the vents so I'd like for it to be independent of the manual AC fan switch and button.

So @moto-mike, @jamesm , @DeliciousTuning and other EcuTek tuners here, are these things possible? Would I risk burning out the stock fans if I ran them in high speed mode for 20-30 min track sessions?
Super low tek solution - lift bonnet after track sessions while parked.

Always worth doing a slow drive around car park if possible and let things cool down (including brakes) before stop

Be possible to rig up a relay and timer, but lifting bonnet works.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Question: is the car is off, coolant won't circulate, will it? So even if the fans were running, wouldn't you only be affecting the coolant actually in the radiator at the time instead of circulating it through the engine?

What about leaving the car running for a few minutes and putting a blower in front of it? That way coolant would continue to circulate through the engine and you'd be forcing air through the radiator. I'm still looking for a 12v version. Searching for 12v dyno blower is only returning leaf blower superchargers.

edit: Carpet dryer fans are producing better results. Still looking for 12v so a converter isn't needed.

Last edited by gramicci101; 07-01-2014 at 11:12 PM.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #7
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Question: is the car is off, coolant won't circulate, will it? So even if the fans were running, wouldn't you only be affecting the coolant actually in the radiator at the time instead of circulating it through the engine?

What about leaving the car running for a few minutes
correct

Slow drive around car park or slow in lap, stop , raise bonnet and let idle for couple of minutes shut off, leave bonnet up.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #8
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
1. It is already there, whether it be ecutek, romraider.
2. Cool down lap. Otherwise run Electric water pump.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
I agree with the proper cool down lap and pop the hood. No need to run the fans with the engine not running.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
but i'm not sure how you'd implement a cooldown timer after shutting the car off. Pretty sure that wouldn't be possible.
My stock VW Tiguan does it, but it's got an independent temp sensor with electric coolant pump for the turbo. Fans/pump will run on their own for a few minutes until its cooled down.

I always do a cool down lap and keep the rpms low and stay off the brakes. I always lift the hood and run the fans a few minutes after shutting it off.

I just don't want to have to remember to shut the fans off and I want to have control of high/low speed activation based on coolant temperature.

Thanks for the replies. I'll get with my tuner.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 07-02-2014 at 11:13 AM.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
MFB
Avo Turboworld Phil Rep

Drives: Forester 2009 XT on e85
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You can use a turbo timer (Pivot) set it at 5mins. Just leave it at ignition on so engine doesn't need to be running.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MFB is offline   Reply With Quote