follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #799
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I don't have that HU but I use Torque.. It seems to be pretty unreliable. Try unpairing and repairing the adapter.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:09 PM   #800
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluflyer06 View Post
Everybody in this entire thread seems so caught up in the android part of this unit but I'm not seeing anyone talk about audio quality. I'm looking at this head unit as a alternative to stock but as nice as it would be to have google maps...the main issue for me with stock is the sound quality is so bad (muddy, often too much bass or not enough, etc).

How's the actual sound quality of listening to music vs Stock ('14 BRZ)? Is there any noticeable improvement or is the weak point the oem speakers?

I just got my new '14 on friday and I'm finding myself just turning the stereo off after attempting to listen to it, it just sounds so terrible it seems like its not worth listening to. I'm coming from a 08' 135i with a oem stereo that was not the upgrade and its was many many leaps and bounds above this in clarity and balance.

-----
^ it could be the weakest link of this unit and no one care about sound difference vs alpine. Android is best stuff
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #801
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
I don't have that HU but I use Torque.. It seems to be pretty unreliable. Try unpairing and repairing the adapter.
Very frustrating. Anyone got tips regarding use of adapter with torque from start to finish? Maybe I'm doing something wrong

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:17 PM   #802
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
I've been using Android almost since Android was a thing; I had the first Android device, The T-Mobile G1, and every mobile device I've had since has run Android.

I would still, were I forced to choose, take great sound over Android on my HU.

I'm hoping I don't have to choose, so I second Sluflyer06's questions.
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #803
sluflyer06

Drives: 2014 BRZ Ltd - DGM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_86 View Post
-----
^ it could be the weakest link of this unit and no one care about sound difference vs alpine. Android is best stuff
So your saying what it feels like in this thread, that people seem to only be concerned about the android features of this unit and not what this thing's actual point is? Which is to let you listen to music...lol.

Don't get me wrong this thing looks great, but unless its a major step up in actual sound quality from the stock Fujitsu, I wouldn't be interested.
sluflyer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #804
SPT Legacy

Drives: 2014 Lightning Red BRZ
Apart from losing the bass from the door speakers (which I'm trying to find a fix for..)
I'd say it sounds pretty good.

The volume definitely goes up a lot higher.
SPT Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #805
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
The only difference in sound I've noticed is when I Dynamatted my doors and replaced the door speakers. Switching out the stock head unit for a JVC unit and then for the Dashlinq hasn't really made it sound any better or worse - just sounds a little different depending on the equalizer settings you're using. Replace your door speakers for better sound.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #806
Prog

Quote:
So your saying what it feels like in this thread, that people seem to only be concerned about the android features of this unit and not what this thing's actual point is? Which is to let you listen to music...lol.

Don't get me wrong this thing looks great, but unless its a major step up in actual sound quality from the stock Fujitsu, I wouldn't be interested.
If you want a step up in sound quality, replace your door speakers and Dynamat your doors. I'm not an audiophile, but those are the only things that have made a difference in sound quality for me. Those awful stock door mid-bass speakers HAVE to go.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #807
sluflyer06

Drives: 2014 BRZ Ltd - DGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
If you want a step up in sound quality, replace your door speakers and Dynamat your doors. I'm not an audiophile, but those are the only things that have made a difference in sound quality for me. Those awful stock door mid-bass speakers HAVE to go.
So are the dash speakers ok? Or are those not even replaceable without major cost and risk to the interior?

Are people replacing them with just essentially a 6.5" woofer with a passive crossover or are people disconnecting the dash speakers and installing 6.5" 2 way components in the doors?
sluflyer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #808
Prog

Quote:
So are the dash speakers ok? Or are those not even replaceable without major cost and risk to the interior?

Are people replacing them with just essentially a 6.5" woofer with a passive crossover or are people disconnecting the dash speakers and installing 6.5" 2 way components in the doors?
I bought components, left the tweeters out, and replaced the mid-bass in the doors. Not sure if it's the right impedance, but it sounds worlds better. Dynamatting got rid of a little bit of the "muddiness," and replacing the speakers completely made it disappear entirely. I haven't gotten around to the dash speakers yet. I really just want to replace the tweeters but I'm not sure how to go about doing that yet. Need to see if the ones I have from my door components will fit in there.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #809
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
I really want to know how this unit sounds when paired with a properly tuned OEM Audio Plus kit.
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #810
chimmy
Because BOXER

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Sound quality on my unit is fine. Doesn't sound any better or worse than the stock unit. Bluetooth sound quality is really good IMO. I've owned other headunits where the bluetooth sound quality was horrendous. As if I had tin cans layered over my speakers.
chimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chimmy For This Useful Post:
unsurety (06-14-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #811
vinh

Drives: a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFTER View Post
GPS is whatever you want to run - its an android device. Google Maps, Tom Tom, Waze, Sygic... whatever. They all work.
Will the navigation work without any internet? I guess it depends on the app if it allows it, so which app allows it?

edit: so far i only saw that sygic and waze can do offline nav
Old 06-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #812
czechm8

Drives: Series 10 Fr-s #520
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I think Google maps can do offline routing now.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
czechm8 is offline   Reply With Quote