follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 05-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #1261
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
It only takes 1 bad fade for you to not be able to stop, and have an off at the track.

Ultimately, if you decide you don't need the brake pads, race pads aren't difficult to sell used; it's a fairly linear depreciation with the amount of pad material left.

You carry auto insurance, even though you don't ever plan on using it, right?
Anything is difficult to sell used around here. I could have a failure with a high quality track pad as well due to poor manufacturing, or I could have a suspension part break as well, or someone else could have a failure or damage my car, anything is a gamble on the track.

Seeing as I only had minor problems with stock pads and fluid at the end of a whole day of lapping, I am fairly confident my new fluid and Stop Tech pads will suffice just fine if I go back anytime soon.

If I was competitively lapping it would be a different story and I would be looking more towards rotors, lines and cooling hoses/backing plates as well.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #1262
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Garage
What differences in driving style and what I notice while driving when running with RE-11 as I do now compared to a racing slick of some sort if I run same size tires? I run stock rotors with carbotech ax6 currently but plan on getting xp10/8. Once those are done.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #1263
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
Has anyone tried Stop Tech Street Performance pads on the track? Picked up a set ultra cheap and figure they can't be any worse than my stock ones were...
Before I weigh in on this, I always like to answer car/track questions with another question to get a better feel for the answer that is needed...

-How many track days have you done. What level are you in terms of tracking/HPDE?

-What tires and mods and other stuff have you done to your car?

-How often do you plan to track the car?

-mike
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #1264
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
Before I weigh in on this, I always like to answer car/track questions with another question to get a better feel for the answer that is needed...

-How many track days have you done. What level are you in terms of tracking/HPDE?

-What tires and mods and other stuff have you done to your car?

-How often do you plan to track the car?

-mike
I've done 5 or 6 lapping days over the past few years only one a couple weeks ago in this car. I run in the low to mid run groups mostly because my car is a lot slower on the straights and I am not super experienced in this car. Currently I have Hankook RS-3s, Bilstein Sport Shocks, RCE Yellow Springs, Raceseng Camber Plates, Eibach Sway Bars and SPC Rear LCAs, alignment set to 0 toe both ends and -2.5 degrees of camber on all 4 corners.

I may see the track once more in the next year or so and likely 5-10 auto x events.

Stock pads help up better than expected the first day and was only beginning to feel fade at the end of my 5th 20 minute session on my first lapping day. They were really glazed after and took a few hard stops about a week after to get them feeling fairly normal again. They still have about 5mm of depth left after the lapping and 9000km of street driving.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #1265
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
If your stock pads aren't fading massively after a couple of laps with RS-3s, you are being too gentle...

I was a total beginner when I first tracked my FR-S (all stock), and the pads clearly faded during every single session. On my second day, I boiled my stock brake fluid.

Then I upgraded the brake fluid, but made the mistake of buying the Stoptechs. They took just a little longer to fade compared to stock, so not worth the money, IMHO.
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:45 PM   #1266
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliog View Post
If your stock pads aren't fading massively after a couple of laps with RS-3s, you are being too gentle...

I was a total beginner when I first tracked my FR-S (all stock), and the pads clearly faded during every single session. On my second day, I boiled my stock brake fluid.

Then I upgraded the brake fluid, but made the mistake of buying the Stoptechs. They took just a little longer to fade compared to stock, so not worth the money, IMHO.
Local(ish) track has very little in terms of straight aways so I have less braking to do, combined with stock power and a DA of nearly 4000ft means my car is pretty weak in terms of straight line speed
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZZZZZZZZZZ For This Useful Post:
juliog (05-22-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #1267
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
I've done 5 or 6 lapping days over the past few years only one a couple weeks ago in this car. I run in the low to mid run groups mostly because my car is a lot slower on the straights and I am not super experienced in this car. Currently I have Hankook RS-3s, Bilstein Sport Shocks, RCE Yellow Springs, Raceseng Camber Plates, Eibach Sway Bars and SPC Rear LCAs, alignment set to 0 toe both ends and -2.5 degrees of camber on all 4 corners.

I may see the track once more in the next year or so and likely 5-10 auto x events.

Stock pads help up better than expected the first day and was only beginning to feel fade at the end of my 5th 20 minute session on my first lapping day. They were really glazed after and took a few hard stops about a week after to get them feeling fairly normal again. They still have about 5mm of depth left after the lapping and 9000km of street driving.
Given your intended frequency or infrequency of actually tracking the car combined with the short straights and your relatively in-experience, I would say the Stoptech Street Performance would serve you well at least until you get some more days under your belt.

As an example I am using HP+ pads on my BRZ. It's 100% stock except for the 6 year old Take-off STi tires. At Watkins glen on a 75 degree day we were getting them smoking after a 30 min session of combined driving of myself (advanced level 10 years instructing HPDE) and a Pro-Tudor/Grandam/WC Racer friend of mine. At Thunderbolt NJMP last weekend they didn't fade or start smoking on us at all. We will likely move up in terms of brakes as we add tires and suspension and get more comfortable in the car.

-mike
Old 05-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #1268
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,180 Times in 6,836 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
What differences in driving style and what I notice while driving when running with RE-11 as I do now compared to a racing slick of some sort if I run same size tires? I run stock rotors with carbotech ax6 currently but plan on getting xp10/8. Once those are done.
Stickier tires will amplify any handling imbalance you have. What may have previously been an oversteer from excessive driver input, may disappear, and only manifest understeer because the tires are sticky enough to cover up the excessive input; this is the most common result I typically see.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
AZP Installs (05-22-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #1269
becauseracecar1

Drives:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I did my first trackday about month ago and it was awesome. My car was 100% stock. Now I'm getting ready for my second track day at Homestead (now with race pads)!!

Thanks to @CSG Mike I have a better idea of how to adjust my tire pressures so I think I'll definitely play around with that.

Here are some videos of my first track day. Any advice on how to improve my driving there?
Thank you!!

Also a big thanks to everyone that responds to all the questions in this thread, it's a huge help and very much appreciated!!

Fast Lap:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ACkbhps2G4"]PBOC track day Homestead - YouTube[/ame]

In Car video @ about 4:20 you can see me lose the car a little

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4LbeEofTV4"]In car footage, PBOC track day - YouTube[/ame]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
facebook.com/86motorsports
becauseracecar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #1270
ddeflyer

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by becauseracecar1 View Post
I did my first trackday about month ago and it was awesome. My car was 100% stock. Now I'm getting ready for my second track day at Homestead (now with race pads)!!

Thanks to @CSG Mike I have a better idea of how to adjust my tire pressures so I think I'll definitely play around with that.

Here are some videos of my first track day. Any advice on how to improve my driving there?
Thank you!!

Also a big thanks to everyone that responds to all the questions in this thread, it's a huge help and very much appreciated!!

Fast Lap:

It might seem kind of generic, but really what you need to do is exactly what your instructor is telling you. One note to make though, notice he keeps saying "smooth". One of the hard things starting out is what it means to be smooth. Smooth means both the obvious even turn in rate (so don't go jerking the wheel around) and also a consistent set once you are in the corner. You are adding steering lock after you have taken your set in order to hit the apex just right. This added steering lock is probably part of what the instructor means by "smooth".

Overall, your best bet is to get an instructor for next time again. The rapid feedback that an instructor gives you will keep you from getting any bad habits or pushing things too far/hard and also keep you from developing bad habits.

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddeflyer For This Useful Post:
becauseracecar1 (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #1271
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,180 Times in 6,836 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
@becauseracecar1

Your rear came around because you stabbed at the gas pedal (based on what I can hear), with the steering wheel turned. Remember, at your level, your steering wheel dictates how much you can brake and gas.

If you're turning 20%, you can brake or gas 80%. If you're turning 50%, you can brake or gas 50%.

As far as inputs go, keep your hands at the same position on the steering wheel. I see your hands shuffling a lot.

Also, look ahead to your next corner/apex earlier. Right now, you're fixated onwhat's ahead of you. Look one more step ahead.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
AZP Installs (05-23-2014), becauseracecar1 (05-23-2014), Chazzzy (09-14-2016), ddeflyer (05-23-2014), dp1 (05-24-2014), fooddude (05-24-2014), glamcem (05-24-2014), ShoShin (05-23-2014), zeppy (05-24-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #1272
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by becauseracecar1 View Post

Thank you!!

Fast Lap:

I will check out your videos this weekend. I live up in NJ but recently purchased a condo in Fort Lauderdale, so next time I am planning on being down there maybe we can hookup for a track day and I'll jump in your car with you if you want!

-mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
becauseracecar1 (05-23-2014), CSG Mike (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #1273
becauseracecar1

Drives:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Got a track related question? I'll try to answer.

Thank you @ddeflyer , I definitely need to be smoother!!

Thank you @ CSG Mike , I was little throttle happy for sure, I'll make sure my hands stay planted and look ahead next time!!
@AZP Installs
That would be awesome!! Definitely let me know when you'll be here!! Thank you!!

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
facebook.com/86motorsports

Last edited by becauseracecar1; 05-23-2014 at 05:08 PM.
becauseracecar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #1274
ddeflyer

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
@becauseracecar1

Your rear came around because you stabbed at the gas pedal (based on what I can hear), with the steering wheel turned. Remember, at your level, your steering wheel dictates how much you can brake and gas.

If you're turning 20%, you can brake or gas 80%. If you're turning 50%, you can brake or gas 50%.

As far as inputs go, keep your hands at the same position on the steering wheel. I see your hands shuffling a lot.

Also, look ahead to your next corner/apex earlier. Right now, you're fixated onwhat's ahead of you. Look one more step ahead.
Nicely phrased!

Looking up is one of those things that takes a really long time to get programmed in.

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddeflyer For This Useful Post:
becauseracecar1 (05-23-2014)