follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

View Poll Results: I have used speed bleeders long term (2+ years) and had -
no issues with them, would recommend 16 84.21%
minor issues with them, but still would recommend 0 0%
minor issues with them, so would NOT recommend 2 10.53%
major issues with them, so would NOT recommend 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #29
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
Where did I say I only topped the reservoir once? Every bit of demonstration on how to use the kit makes it very clear not to run the reservoir dry as a priority and that is what I stated. The rear passenger obviously took a good bit of fluid and more pressure, the fronts less, this is common sense.

There was no mess, at least not outside of your standard bleeding into a container through a hose.
That's my whole point though. You are still having to:

1) top off the reservoir
2) hook up the power bleeder
3) pressurize
4) crack open the bleeder
5) watch the reservoir to ensure it's not going dry
6) close the bleeder
7) depressurize
8) unhook the power bleeder
9) repeat steps 1-8 a good 5-10 times until your fluid is all flushed from each corner and fresh fluid is throughout your entire system. It makes a LOT more sense to fill up the bottle, rather than unhooking the whole contraption every time you need to "top off"

I assume you're doing the above steps, correct? Have you used speed bleeders? Or are you just assuming you'll like the power bleeder better? I like both products, but to say the power bleeder is easier to use is just ridiculous.
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:51 PM   #30
TemeCal

Quote:
That's great, you're not alone So, you'll either have a mess on your hands (the way the instructions say to do it), or you'll be topping it quite frequently (your way).

If the power bleeder makes your life easier, that's all that matters
Old 05-13-2014, 11:55 PM   #31
Model Citizen
Lacking brains

Drives: frz
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeCal View Post
That's my whole point though. You are still having to:

1) top off the reservoir
2) hook up the power bleeder
3) pressurize
4) crack open the bleeder
5) watch the reservoir to ensure it's not going dry
6) close the bleeder
7) depressurize
8) unhook the power bleeder
9) repeat steps 1-8 a good 5-10 times until your fluid is all flushed from each corner and fresh fluid is throughout your entire system. It makes a LOT more sense to fill up the bottle, rather than unhooking the whole contraption every time you need to "top off"

I assume you're doing the above steps, correct? Have you used speed bleeders? Or are you just assuming you'll like the power bleeder better? I like both products, but to say the power bleeder is easier to use is just ridiculous.
You've put more effort into debating me than flushing took.

"9) repeat 5-10 times" is talking out your ass

I never go over 10psi out of paranoia and even that was enough to do both front ap calipers having to repump once.

The rear passenger I repumped maybe 3 times and that included pushing out the contents of the old reservoir. It takes roughly 5 seconds to hit 10 psi, or maybe I'm just good at jerking rods
Model Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:56 PM   #32
Model Citizen
Lacking brains

Quote:
That's great, you're not alone So, you'll either have a mess on your hands (the way the instructions say to do it), or you'll be topping it quite frequently (your way).

If the power bleeder makes your life easier, that's all that matters
You should probably google before posting any more.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:57 PM   #33
TemeCal

Quote:
You've put more effort into debating me than flushing took.

"9) repeat 5-10 times is talking out your ass"

I never go over 10psi out of paranoia and even that was enough to do both front ap calipers having to repump once.

The rear passenger I repumped maybe 3 times and that included pushing out the contents of the old reservoir. It takes roughly 5 seconds to hit 10 psi, or maybe I'm just good at jerking rods
Like I said, if it makes your life easier, then it's worth it. I'm glad it works for you so well. I own both, and I have my favorite.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:01 AM   #34
TemeCal

Quote:
You should probably google before posting any more.
Google what? What's your problem? I'm done cluttering up this thread. You're obviously good at pushing people's buttons. I've said it several times, if it makes your life easier...then it's worth it.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:03 AM   #35
Model Citizen
Lacking brains

Quote:
Google what? What's your problem? I'm done cluttering up this thread. You're obviously good at pushing people's buttons. I've said it several times, if it makes your life easier...then it's worth it.
Once again, you've put more effort into debating me than the process actually takes.

This is stupid,

You should try google instead of posting out your ass.

I'm done segwaying this thread
Old 05-14-2014, 12:10 AM   #36
vroom4

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Did you have the genuine Speed Bleeders? I've had one set of knockoffs (Goodridge, Edelbrock, Russel, etc) and they leaked. Lots of complaints with the "other" brands.
Yes
vroom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vroom4 For This Useful Post:
amram (05-14-2014), TemeCal (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #37
amram

Drives: 2013 FR-S AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Vroom4, were they stainless steel ones or regular non-ss ones?
Thanks.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #38
amram

Drives: 2013 FR-S AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepeel View Post
These seem like a really good idea - moving the valve to the tube instead of the bleeder valve... wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them.
Yes this seems like a good idea moving the valve to the tube. But then am guessing the seal at the bleeder to the tube point becomes the weakest link where air could get in. That seal needs to be real good. Anyone have experience with these?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #39
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have both the Motive PowerBleeder and Speed Bleeders. Hands down, I always prefer my Speed Bleeders. The PowerBleeder is a great tool, but hooking it up...filling the jug with brake fluid...pressurizing...removing the unused fluid...etc... is just a bigger pain than SpeedBleeders.

I use the Motive PowerBleeder on one of my cars still, but all my others have SpeedBleeders. I've had zero problems with them, even with my brakes being bled very frequently for track use. I've owned 8+ vehicles with SpeedBleeders installed, and never had an issue. Just be sure to buy the official SpeedBleeders, not the knock-offs.
I like the Motive tool more because you don't have to be in the cabin to depress the brake pedal - it turns brake bleeding into a legitimately one man operation. Worth the trouble over SpeedBleeders, IMHO.

Your steps are unnecessary though. Once it's filled with 1L or 2L of fluid, depending on your preference, there's no need to ever unhook it from the reservoir until you're done. Maybe repressurize (couple pumps, who cares), but definitely not unhook it, fill it up, and hook it back up - those are supposed to be done right the first (and only) time. Once pressurized, you simply go from caliper to caliper watching the bubbles and brake fluid color - not sure how that's slower than anything else, especially since you're not returning to the cabin to depress the brake pedal.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #40
TemeCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Your steps are unnecessary though. Once it's filled with 1L or 2L of fluid, depending on your preference, there's no need to ever unhook it from the reservoir until you're done. Maybe repressurize (couple pumps, who cares), but definitely not unhook it, fill it up, and hook it back up - those are supposed to be done right the first (and only) time. Once pressurized, you simply go from caliper to caliper watching the bubbles and brake fluid color - not sure how that's slower than anything else, especially since you're not returning to the cabin to depress the brake pedal.
You are correct, they are unnecessary if you do it per the instructions. This is the way I do mine as well. I was replying to @Modern Citizen who doesn't add anything to the PowerBleeder jug. He prefers unhooking it, topping off, and repressurizing every time he needs to "top off" during a full flush. You are doing it the correct way, IMHO...but he doesn't seem to agree.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #41
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Hmmm...Im gonna have to check this Motive out or buy it. It does sound much easier than Speed Bleeder valves/bottles the more I read about it:

-No need to enter cabin to pump (which makes you unable to see the bled fluid moving in the bleed tube "live" (at the same time as you're pumping to check for air bubbles/new fluid)..you can only check your bleed tube after you leave the cabin and while the fluid is in a static state.
-No need to worry about and keep rechecking if that small master cylinder reservoir is full and keep refilling it as you pump/bleed (just fill the large motive reservoir once with a good amount, 2L, and you're good to go)

..biggest things/main points, is that you don't need to pump brake pedal in cabin and also you can actually see the fluid moving "live" to easily see when the fluid turns into the new fluid and also bubbles..which is still a little guessing game if you're stuck in the cabin pumping.
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #42
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDKane527 View Post
Exactly what are those 2 last fittings for, and where do they go in the system? Are they required?
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote