follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #15
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon99 View Post
Keeping the noise generator wont be an option I guess ?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Thanks for the inquiry! Our current design retains the factory induction hose, so the stock noise generator can be used. Do keep in mind that our testing showed a loss of power with the generator installed.

We also currently offer a silicone induction hose for the BRZ/FR-S which eliminates the noise generator. Check it out here: http://www.mishimoto.com/silicone-in...ru-brz-13.html

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Drew View Post
Thanks for following!
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #16
Simon99

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Thanks for the inquiry! Our current design retains the factory induction hose, so the stock noise generator can be used. Do keep in mind that our testing showed a loss of power with the generator installed.

We also currently offer a silicone induction hose for the BRZ/FR-S which eliminates the noise generator. Check it out here: http://www.mishimoto.com/silicone-in...ru-brz-13.html

Thanks

Thanks for following!
I agree on the lost, but I also want something easily changeable for warramty work...

This car has allowed car enthusiasts to come from all different walks of life, car cultures, and brands. Just as a panda is black, white, and Asian; the 86 is Toyota, Subaru, and downright fucking sexy.
Simon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #17
Mishimoto

Quote:
I agree on the lost, but I also want something easily changeable for warramty work...

Understood! Our hope is to provide extremely easy to follow instructions so our customers can install this kit as quickly as possible. Our team has been able to remove and reinstall the bumper at quite a rapid pace.

Thanks for the suggestion and opinions!
Old 04-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #18
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

An intake doe sent negatively affect warranty work in any way, neither would deleting the noise generator etc...
Old 04-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #19
Simon99

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
An intake doe sent negatively affect warranty work in any way, neither would deleting the noise generator etc...
An intake can void warranty if they believed it caused the problem. Sending it without the intake for reparation would solve that problem and remove/reinstalling the sound generator is simply an extra step I don't necessarily want

This car has allowed car enthusiasts to come from all different walks of life, car cultures, and brands. Just as a panda is black, white, and Asian; the 86 is Toyota, Subaru, and downright fucking sexy.
Simon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #20
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
An intake can void warranty if they believed it caused the problem. Sending it without the intake for reparation would solve that problem and remove/reinstalling the sound generator is simply an extra step I don't necessarily want

Then dealers there are smoking the good stuff or you are. The dealers here offer takeda, injen, trd etc at the dealer. They have cars on the floor brand new with aftermarket intakes on them. I also specifically asked and answer was NO it doesn't affect warranty. In all vehicles I've had I've never once been told warranty was an issue with an intake.

It's an intake not a turbo...

By the way no dealer can not void or choose to not cover something cause they "think part x" causes issue they have to (prove) it, that's law not assumption.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #21
Mishimoto

Although we have found it to vary from one dealership to another, intake modifications are normally not an issue for warranty concerns. That being said if the aftermarket intake can be linked to the problem at hand, a claim can certainly be denied.

Additionally, this intake will undergo rigorous testing to ensure safe operation while improving performance.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #22
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
If it doesn't "fool" the MAF by changing the pipe diameter, it would be pretty hard to prove the intake did any harm.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:11 AM   #23
tdoggy57

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sounds good, gotta support the local companies!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #24
Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
If it doesn't "fool" the MAF by changing the pipe diameter, it would be pretty hard to prove the intake did any harm.
Very true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoggy57 View Post
Sounds good, gotta support the local companies!
Thanks!

We should have an update on this project early this week.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #25
Mishimoto

Thanks for following along with our build process! Part two of this project is now available! Feel free to check it out below or on our Engineering Blog!

2013+ Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-S Performance Cold-Air Intake, Part 2: Initial Product Design

With a general idea of our plans for this product, we set about removing all the necessary components so we could begin fabrication. Steve, one of our bright engineers, would be taking the helm for this particular project, with others lending a hand throughout the process when needed.

FR-S components removed

Our first task was to fabricate the main portion of the intake pipe. We would be using a separate piece to house the MAF and air straightener. This particular pipe routes air from the front bumper area into the engine compartment. We needed to decide on a pipe size and route that would provide the least restriction, greatest airflow, and most effective A/F ratios. Take a look!

Mishimoto intake pipe fabrication

So now you have a good idea of our plan of attack. This design has many immediately apparent benefits. For one, it really cleans up the appearance of the engine bay. Also, the filter is located outside of engine bay, resulting in cooler air induction. Check out a few shots from the process of putting this pipe together.

Steve handling the TIG work

Tacking together our initial prototype

Completed intake pipe prototype

With this component complete for now, we will move on to the MAF housing, which requires even greater precision. The MAF housing is a unique piece and necessitates some expertise. The stock MAF is designed to read air volume, which is based on the diameter of the pipe where it is installed. Adjusting this diameter can result in some very interesting effects on A/F ratios, as we found when designing our previous intake kit. An easy way to lean the mixture slightly is to increase the pipe diameter where the MAF is located. When properly controlled and tested, this can provide consistent performance gains. With some experience in our back pockets, several iterations of this MAF housing were designed so we could evaluate the overall effects on performance and A/F ratios. This job would be as much a case study as it would be product development. We were pretty excited to see how minute differences would affect these aspects of testing. Check out the fabrication process!

MAF housing fabrication

MAF housing fabrication

Air straightener

You will notice that we utilize several 3D-printed components during our development process. This particular housing is using two, one for the MAF mount and the other for the air straightener. The process of creating these components in Solidworks and then printing them simplifies and significantly expedites our development process. With this technology we can build and test prototypes much quicker, which results in a shorter period of time for getting these products to market. Let’s all raise our glasses for technology!
Although it may seem like a small component, the air straightener makes quite an impact on the function of this product. By creating laminar flow we can provide smoother power delivery and consistent readings of airflow.

MAF housing mount

We can churn these units out in hours instead of the time it would take to have them CNC-machined. The final product will of course be machined from billet aluminum and welded to the pipe, but for our testing, we would be using a strong adhesive to attach these components. Check out the images below of the fully installed prototype, ready to go!

Mishimoto prototype intake fully installed

A few things to note! The device you see on the passenger side of the upper radiator support is capturing rpm data from the harmonic balancer for our Dyno testing. This intake is ready for some initial testing utilizing our different sizes of MAF housings. Check back next time when we collect our initial data and decide on a final design for moving forward.

Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mishimoto For This Useful Post:
JonAvalon (04-29-2014), Simon99 (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 12:18 AM   #26
Craig

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Awesome! Glad to see another company throw its hat into the ring... Not gonna lie, a Mishimoto intake would look great next to my catch can!!
Old 04-10-2014, 02:23 AM   #27
myEFispissed

Drives: '13 Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What's the difference from the Perrin?
myEFispissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:09 AM   #28
Sphirit

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)