follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

View Poll Results: Which sub <$1,500 coilover?
Tein Street Flex yo! 23 19.01%
Buddy Club Race Spec Damper.. hai! 19 15.70%
Other...please state 79 65.29%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 PM   #141
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've actually spoken with the owner of HVT asking about the 4150's and he tells me that they have something in the works for the 86. Although I don't think it will be released any time soon. Seems like there is a lot of drama going on with these suspension companies.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #142
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepeel View Post
Look at the MCS 2-way non remote. Comp/rebound adjustable monotubes that are apparently very good. Fully kitted they would probably come in right around your price point.
http://www.motioncontrolsuspension.com/

I believe the MCS guys are the guys from Moton before they were bought by AST.
Those new Motons... I mean MCS really sound like they can make those nice digressive curves and the range of adjustment I'm looking for. Do you know if they have any published shock dynos? Doesn't have to be specific to the 86 I'd just like to see what that are capable of doing. Those 2-way remotes look super nice and would probably be upgradable to a 3 or 4-way in the future. Nice beefy shafts all around. I hope their marketing team decides to do a 'special' on them sometime next season. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #143
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,274 Times in 2,967 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Those new Motons... I mean MCS really sound like they can make those nice digressive curves and the range of adjustment I'm looking for. Do you know if they have any published shock dynos? Doesn't have to be specific to the 86 I'd just like to see what that are capable of doing. Those 2-way remotes look super nice and would probably be upgradable to a 3 or 4-way in the future. Nice beefy shafts all around. I hope their marketing team decides to do a 'special' on them sometime next season. Fingers crossed.
Those are also probably great shocks, but also likely over $4k with springs, topmounts, etc.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #144
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
What's wrong with BC coilovers? Interestingly I haven't found enough information about them here as opposed to other forums most of the threads are regarding to "extreme drop" version of these coilovers.

I personally don't really care about the extreme drop or looks but just want to be able use my RPF1 17x9 Enkei wheels with 235/40/17 Nitto NT-01 tires that I recently bought.

How do they compare to similar coilovers made by Bilstein or RCE Tarmacs in that ball park ($1000-$1500 range)?

Thanks in advance
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #145
Wepeel

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm sure if you contacted them they'd have a lot of info for you. Although we are definitely in the 'coilovers NOT under $1500' range

Hanchey looks like they will have some niiiiice stuff available. Might just need to wait a while. Some of his recent setups have been very successful.

What are you planning on doing with the car? What is the reason you don't want twintubes? Just curious.
Wepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:26 PM   #146
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Those are also probably great shocks, but also likely over $4k with springs, topmounts, etc.

- Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepeel View Post
I'm sure if you contacted them they'd have a lot of info for you. Although we are definitely in the 'coilovers NOT under $1500' range

Hanchey looks like they will have some niiiiice stuff available. Might just need to wait a while. Some of his recent setups have been very successful.

What are you planning on doing with the car? What is the reason you don't want twintubes? Just curious.
According to their price list, the non remotes will likely come out just over 4K and their remote 2-ways (the ones I'm eyeing) will come out over 5K with all the accessories... sigh..

To be honest, I'm a bit of a suspension snob. On my other ride I've been through many setups 2-way 3-ways before settling on a Penske 3-way, yet I'm never quite satisfied. I'm just trying to avoid the same situation where I keep swapping out suspension setups with this car and go with the best suspension I can afford on the first shot. Or at least try to afford some really good stuff. Everything I'm doing now is just to keep cost to a minimum to 'tide me over' until I can afford the good stuff. And from experience I know these expensive high end dampers are worth every penny. In my opinion, at least.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #147
solidONE

Sorry OP for the blatant
Old 03-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #148
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Sorry OP for the blatant
Haha..no worries. I have no more questions about sub <$1500 coilovers (since I really believe FA is and should be the only quality choice in that range). And, it's always nice reading about sexy >$4k coilovers (that I can never afford) anyways
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fooddude For This Useful Post:
solidONE (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #149
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
What's wrong with BC coilovers? Interestingly I haven't found enough information about them here as opposed to other forums most of the threads are regarding to "extreme drop" version of these coilovers.

I personally don't really care about the extreme drop or looks but just want to be able use my RPF1 17x9 Enkei wheels with 235/40/17 Nitto NT-01 tires that I recently bought.

How do they compare to similar coilovers made by Bilstein or RCE Tarmacs in that ball park ($1000-$1500 range)?

Thanks in advance
BCs IMO are a harsh ride and that's putting it nicely.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #150
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
1. They wont last as long
2. Generic spring rates
3. Bilstein and RCE will not jar your teeth out
4. The dampening is better on the Bilstein and RCE
5. I would feel much better about servicing my Bilstein or RCE coils here in the states rather than BC coils.
6. The ride is really, THAT much better in the RCE and Bilstein coilovers.
7. Better warranties
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
glamcem (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 04:21 AM   #151
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
@IAmNotTheDriftKing @chiefshayan

I think "harsher" or "suitable" are the wrong words when describing the 510 or a similar perf/digressive focused shock; and, "capable" is a better word...ie: "510 is more track capable", but that doesn't necessarily mean un"capable" or "harsher" on the street (unless the global and overall custom valving will be built to be very very stiff and have more high-speed force than the "Street" coilover's high-speed force) ...since the ultra digressive valving actually helps much more in street/harsness/bumps/rough roads than anything else (keeps bumps and other high-speed shocks/movements to a minimum, since it tapers off, "blows off" and isn't linear/progressive like a "street" non-digressive damper)..all while still having much more force on the slow-speed damping section. ..Hope that made sense.

*I think another way, and more easier way to think about it is, using a number ranking, from softest to stiffest..Example
- The cheaper 500: Handling firmness 3, bumps/rough road firmness 8
- More digressive OTS 510: Handling firmness 6, bumps/rough road firmness 8 (same as the 500)
- or, softer valved 510: Handling firmness 5, bumps/rough road firmness 7 (rides better on the street than the 500)
- or, a firmer valved 510: Handling firmness 9, bumps/rough road firmness 11 (which in this extreme case, WILL be rougher than the "Street" 500; but only because everything else, including low-speed damping, has been raised significantly)

Now, let's take that "Street" linear 500 to have the same low-speed as the 510:
- firmer 500: Handling firmness 6, bumps/rough road firmness 11
(much harsher ride than the OTS 510's handling of 6 and rough road firmness of only 8)

*(just a caveman/layman's example to make it easier to understand ....none of this is actual data obviously, lol)

From what I understand and have read - the 510 has different valving design (more digressive), better internals (ie: ohlins shims), oil, etc., etc.

Like CSG stated...just because it's track-focused doesn't mean it'll be harsh on the street...if anything, it'll be much better on the street vs a linear damper of the same low-speed force/firmness, due to having a digressive curve that can "blow off" high-speed damper bumps and flattens/tapers off after low-speed movements...unlike a non-digressive shock, that is linear, that only gets stiffer and stiffer, the higher and higher the speed of the shaft becomes.

If you look at some PVP dynos, comparing a "Street" damper to even a "Race" focused damper....you will notice even the mildest and softest of "Street" coilovers, will have roughly the same amount of high force firmness at the 8in/sec. mark on the graph compared to an even much more "Race" focused damper, which basically means it will be just as "stiff" over high speed bumps, but at least the race damper has the ability to have much more Force lbs on the low speed section (which counts), while the "Street" damper cannot. Now, imagine if the global damper valvings/settings of that "Race" ultra digressive coilover were toned down even less...it will be much smoother over high speed bumps than the "Street" coilover, while still being able to handle(ie: driver input & low speed movement) much better than the "Street" coilover.
After reading a lot about the FA coilovers, I think I'm also leaning towards to Fortune Auto coilovers and specifically 510 series ( I believe the Gen 5 is available and comes with bearing update as standard)

Since in the Pacific Northwest roads are not bad and no heavy winters and I plan to use the car for many track events for summer season. With that said, I wonder how the longevity is compared both 500 to 510 series...

@Jenson May would you like to chime in and share your thoughts on that?
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:06 AM   #152
ISC Suspension

Drives: ISC Suspension BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ISC Suspension
Has anyone mentioned our new FRS/BRZ Coilovers? We've got some nice Coilover and Rear Control Arm packages too!

ISC Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ISC Suspension For This Useful Post:
glamcem (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #153
itwillboost
35r + 35r = 70rr ?

Drives: Subaru BRZ Time Attack S13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I went with ST coils, couldn't beat the price and they are essentially KW V1's. I had no reason for the V3's so it made sense for me.
itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:16 PM   #154
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISC Suspension View Post
Has anyone mentioned our new FRS/BRZ Coilovers? We've got some nice Coilover and Rear Control Arm packages too!

I remember these from my 2.5rs days. "My back" "clunk" and "why did I spend money on these" were the keywords used at the time.

Not saying improvements haven't been made, but color me extremely skeptical.

Cheers
Nathan
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote