follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2014, 02:54 AM   #491
FT-86-

Drives: Sexy Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
I know I hate getting winjet lights for 50% off....Damn thiefs
My feelings are hurt
FT-86- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:58 AM   #492
Brody602
Drift King

Drives: '13 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxersixxerman View Post
It's very close to a bolt in.. I have to tweak here and there, but you can bake apart, unscrew the old ones, screw in the new ones, and bake together, but you may have some alignment issues.. The older preproduction D2S required modifications, these production ones just need some tweaking sometimes
Alognment issues, meaning not being able to align them solely with the projector alignment settings on the outside of the headlight?

Considering upgrading the projectors in these but I'm by no means very knowledgeable of HID retrofits, so if I have to do tweaking it might just not he worth it considering these projectors are half decent compared to oem...

How would you compare the light output and quality of the beam comparing a Mini h1 retro-quik in the stock headlights compared to just throwing in HID bulbs into the winjets?
Old 03-23-2014, 03:03 AM   #493
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
This is the best I got right now

Winjets with a H7 XB35 upgraded 5k bulb

D2S 3.0 xb35 D2S 5k bulb

It's two different views, but the D2S is straighter, better in almost everyway.. The stock winjet is better then the OEM

But the D2S is worth the 200-300 depending on if you have ballast or not.. I do not know anyone that's put them in and regret it yet
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:10 AM   #494
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
This is the best I got right now

Winjets with a H7 XB35 upgraded 5k bulb

D2S 3.0 xb35 D2S 5k bulb

It's two different views, but the D2S is straighter, better in almost everyway.. The stock winjet is better then the OEM

But the D2S is worth the 200-300 depending on if you have ballast or not.. I do not know anyone that's put them in and regret it yet

Hmm.. Well I already bought some XB35 H7's for my winjets so maybe I'll see how I feel about the lighting once their installed.

I'm mainly going for distance and clarity as there is a lot of moose up here in Northern Ontario.. So if I won't gain much lighting distance I probably won't bother with D2S.

When you say tweaking may be required, can you be a little more specific? Would someone with very little HID knowledge be able to tweak them correctly? The extent of my knowledge is basically how to measure out and align the projector cutoffs at the right height.. Lol I don't really know what I'm looking for in the beam pattern as far as blueness, fuzzines and all that other stuff goes..

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2014, 03:10 AM   #495
Gixxersixxerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody602 View Post
Alognment issues, meaning not being able to align them solely with the projector alignment settings on the outside of the headlight?

Considering upgrading the projectors in these but I'm by no means very knowledgeable of HID retrofits, so if I have to do tweaking it might just not he worth it considering these projectors are half decent compared to oem...

How would you compare the light output and quality of the beam comparing a Mini h1 retro-quik in the stock headlights compared to just throwing in HID bulbs into the winjets?
Alignment issues as it's four screws that hold it on, and sometimes you have to enlarge the holes to get the projector clocked right.. I have a jig that holds the light housing parallel to the ground so I can aim the projectors I install.. Even the quick kits can have some issues.. But the 6.0 MH1 is better then a OEM by far.. The MH1 is a good kit considering it's price point

This is a MH1 that's been tweaked, modded and tuned next to a D2S that's not been tuned yet.. I do little tricks to clean up the cutoffs and lines..

By this picture you would think the MH1 would be better, a bigger hot spot, but that can also cause "night blindness" by reflecting light on the road and causing you to lose distance in vision, one of the reasons the OEM are so bad with just a PnP kit.. The good thing the MH1 has going for it is a foreground limiter built in.. But trust me when I say the D2S outperforms the MH1 hands down.. Even modded and tuned..
Old 03-23-2014, 03:14 AM   #496
Gixxersixxerman

There is a guy here that owns a BRZ, I. Unsure of his name, but he is on HIDplanet and he is way more knowledgable then me.. I'll see if I can get him to chime in and offer his advice
Old 03-23-2014, 03:17 AM   #497
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
There is a guy here that owns a BRZ, I. Unsure of his name, but he is on HIDplanet and he is way more knowledgable then me.. I'll see if I can get him to chime in and offer his advice

I just don't think I'd be very capable of properly aligning the projectors in the housing, I'm more of the bolt in and go guy.. So if I'd be better off sticking the normal winjet projectors compared to just bolting in a set of D2S in there.. I might just have to settle for that.. *sigh* haha

Old 03-23-2014, 03:27 AM   #498
Gixxersixxerman

Quote:
I just don't think I'd be very capable of properly aligning the projectors in the housing, I'm more of the bolt in and go guy.. So if I'd be better off sticking the normal winjet projectors compared to just bolting in a set of D2S in there.. I might just have to settle for that.. *sigh* haha

You could veery well bolt in and go with these.. They may have a slight issue with being 100% perfect. but as you can see in the winjet picture. those are not 100% perfect either lol.. If you already have the ballast and all, then 200$ or so for the new projectors and bulbs is a good path if you wanna upgrade.. The D2S is better the the stocker... But I guess you have to ask yourself is it 200$ better.. For me yes, no question about it.. But for you the stock projector may be more then fine with a HID kit installed.. Either way it's and improvement over OEM
The Following User Says Thank You to Gixxersixxerman For This Useful Post:
Brody602 (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 03:34 AM   #499
headlikeahole

Drives: Ultramarine toyobaru
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I feel ya, I really want to go the D2S route but without a clear idea of what I'm getting into I won't drop the 300 bucks for the kit. If someone made a step by step diy I might consider it.

Thanks @Gixxersixxerman for the insight
headlikeahole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:37 AM   #500
Brody602
Drift King

Question about Winjet Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlikeahole View Post
I feel ya, I really want to go the D2S route but without a clear idea of what I'm getting into I won't drop the 300 bucks for the kit. If someone made a step by step diy I might consider it.

From the sounds of things, even just bolting them in and aligning them
Via the dial outside the headlights would be a significant improvement. Chances are it won't be 100% perfect, but as stated, neither are the stock winjet projectors when fitted with HID bulbs.. So judging from that, if I'm not satisfied with the light output from just throwing in HID bulbs I'll retrofit some D2S in them

Old 03-23-2014, 03:44 AM   #501
headlikeahole

Drives: Ultramarine toyobaru
Quote:
From the sounds of things, even just bolting them in and aligning them
Via the dial outside the headlights would be a significant improvement. Chances are it won't be 100% perfect, but as stated, neither are the stock winjet projectors when fitted with HID bulbs.. So judging from that, if I'm not satisfied with the light output from just throwing in HID bulbs I'll retrofit some D2S in them

I was thinking this too. My issue with this though is ill be spending 65 bucks on H7 bulbs. Going to D2S and having to switch bulbs again just seems hard to justify. I'll probably just stick to the winjet projectors and spend that 200+ bucks on tint.. or booze.
headlikeahole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:47 AM   #502
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
I was thinking this too. My issue with this though is ill be spending 65 bucks on H7 bulbs. Going to D2S and having to switch bulbs again just seems hard to justify ($$)
Yeah, I already pulled the trigger on the XB35 H7's too so 65$ as well, not sure if they're the type of thong someone would pick up used for 35-40$, might be hard trusting someone saying they were only used for aprox. 20 hours or something.. We'll see how I feel about my vision with the H7's first I guess :P
Old 03-23-2014, 04:08 AM   #503
Gixxersixxerman

Quote:
I was thinking this too. My issue with this though is ill be spending 65 bucks on H7 bulbs. Going to D2S and having to switch bulbs again just seems hard to justify. I'll probably just stick to the winjet projectors and spend that 200+ bucks on tint.. or booze.
Quote:
Yeah, I already pulled the trigger on the XB35 H7's too so 65$ as well, not sure if they're the type of thong someone would pick up used for 35-40$, might be hard trusting someone saying they were only used for aprox. 20 hours or something.. We'll see how I feel about my vision with the H7's first I guess :P
You could probably sale the H7 in the for sale section as the winjet and spyder lights take the same.. And from some insiders look like the spec d will have the same H7 also.. So someone that has these kits but running the H11 should jump on it.. For example used lighting is sold frequently on my other forums with no issues.. A quality HID bulb will run for a long time.. And they get brighter and don't fully get to their potential until about 20 hours, that's when all the salts and stuff really start to mix well

Last edited by Gixxersixxerman; 03-24-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:29 AM   #504
JR007

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Garage
Quote:
The projectors in the stock winjets are way way better then the stick oem projectors.. I'd put a hid kit in these over OEM in a heartbeat.. They aren't perfect but better then OEM
Got it, thanks.

Now I just need to be brave enough to take off the front bumper and have luck aligning all the clips in place. I've seen a few vids taking off the bumper and then I've also read horror stories about taking off the bumper and the corner of the clips not holding. What to do...what to do...
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote