follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #57
bluesubie

Drives: 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablitomarrero View Post
wait...isnt dominator a racing oil? These are not compatible with street cars because they kill cats and dont have detergents in them... Yes I have a catalytic converter with my turbo . Environment conscious event though it might all be in my head
That's all overblown IMO unless you're burning a lot of oil for it to get to your cats in the first place. It's actually the higher levels of phosphorus that can cause a problem for cats.

Lots of people here with cats are running Motul 300V and Red Line 0W-20, although the Dominator has a bit more zinc and phosphorus than the Dominator. With forced induction, you really need something more robust than the standard 0W-20. And jumping to a 5W-30 won't necessarily solve any problems either. Many GF5 5W-30's will shear to a 20 grade due to having more viscosity modifiers in the oil.

Once you modify a car, especially with forced induction, your standard recommendations go out the window. On paper, OE 5W-20 does look a little better than the 0W-20. Thicker viscosity at 100C, lower NOACK volatility, and better High Temp High Shear. XL 5W-20 is slightly better. I would check with Amsoil to see what they would recommend. Don't skimp out on oil!

-Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluesubie For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (03-17-2018), Pablitomarrero (03-10-2014), Sportsguy83 (03-19-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #58
Pablitomarrero

Drives: FR-S 10 series
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
That's all overblown IMO unless you're burning a lot of oil for it to get to your cats in the first place. It's actually the higher levels of phosphorus that can cause a problem for cats.

Lots of people here with cats are running Motul 300V and Red Line 0W-20, although the Dominator has a bit more zinc and phosphorus than the Dominator. With forced induction, you really need something more robust than the standard 0W-20. And jumping to a 5W-30 won't necessarily solve any problems either. Many GF5 5W-30's will shear to a 20 grade due to having more viscosity modifiers in the oil.

Once you modify a car, especially with forced induction, your standard recommendations go out the window. On paper, OE 5W-20 does look a little better than the 0W-20. Thicker viscosity at 100C, lower NOACK volatility, and better High Temp High Shear. XL 5W-20 is slightly better. I would check with Amsoil to see what they would recommend. Don't skimp out on oil!

-Dennis
never lol! I love oil
Pablitomarrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #59
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Anybody running amsoil OE 0w-20 on their turbos? I want Signature series but it is significantly cheaper and they sell it next door

i use their signature 0w-20 seems to be good stuff as the rep explained to me
Old 03-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #60
Pablitomarrero

what oil are you boosted guys using

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged86 View Post
i use their signature 0w-20 seems to be good stuff as the rep explained to me
Well I called amsoil and they explained that basically OE, XL and Signature Series all provide the same great protection, with the difference that OE is made for OEM change intervals, XL is made for intervals around 10,000 miles and signature series is for 25k miles. He explaned that if you stick with these intervals you maintain the same level of wear protection (especially at extreme conditions) with all three oils. You will however see increase wear with AMSOIL OE oils of you for example wait to change your oil after 10k miles when your manufacturer requests a 3k mile oil change in extreme conditions.

With this info I decided to go XL and keep changing my oil every 3k miles... XL because the happen to have it at the same price as OE... Go figure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Pablitomarrero For This Useful Post:
charged86 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #61
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Well I called amsoil and they explained that basically OE, XL and Signature Series all provide the same great protection, with the difference that OE is made for OEM change intervals, XL is made for intervals around 10,000 miles and signature series is for 25k miles. He explaned that if you stick with these intervals you maintain the same level of wear protection (especially at extreme conditions) with all three oils. You will however see increase wear with AMSOIL OE oils of you for example wait to change your oil after 10k miles when your manufacturer requests a 3k mile oil change in extreme conditions.

With this info I decided to go XL and keep changing my oil every 3k miles... XL because the happen to have it at the same price as OE... Go figure

yeah i use the signature at every 5,000 just because i can i guess lol but thanks for getting the information that you did!
Old 03-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #62
Pablitomarrero

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged86 View Post
yeah i use the signature at every 5,000 just because i can i guess lol but thanks for getting the information that you did!
Yeah I wouldnt go over 5k either with ANY oil no matter what lol. Thats why I think im going with XL. If it does the same thing for me as the SS (since ill be changing the oil every 3k miles anyways) its a no brainer to go OE or XL for the price. Another very good oil is Pennzoil Ultra! Ill go with whatever shows up first. Both great oils and priced around the same

Old 03-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #63
bluesubie

Quote:

That is info that you can just get from their web site and applies to stock cars. Those extended drain intervals no longer apply when you modify your car. Did you tell them about your turbo?

Quote:
(1) Engines operating under modified conditions (non-stock) are excluded from extended drain recommendations. Examples include the use of performance computer chips; non-OEM approved exhaust, fuel or air induction systems; and the use of fuels other than those recommended for normal operation by the manufacturer.
And it's not only about extended drain. It is about whether or not the oil will have sufficient film stregth to be able to handle the additional heat from the turbo. I would definitely do uoa's when running this oil. Do you have an oil pressure gauge?

I'll see what kind of recommendations that I can get from some others.

-Dennis
Old 03-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #64
Pablitomarrero

what oil are you boosted guys using

Quote:
That is info that you can just get from their web site and applies to stock cars. Those extended drain intervals no longer apply when you modify your car. Did you tell them about your turbo?

And it's not only about extended drain. It is about whether or not the oil will have sufficient film stregth to be able to handle the additional heat from the turbo. I would definitely do uoa's when running this oil. Do you have an oil pressure gauge?

Good luck!

-Dennis
Yes i did. They still recommended OE if i was going to be changing every 3k miles. They told me that aftermarket turbos (of course) decrease the life of the oil due to heat BUT that SS would still be overkill for that application (IF changing every 3k miles). I understand this and to be on the safe side am going to go XL. Thinking if its made for 10k miles on OEM cars the 3K miles should be on the safe side with a turbo

He also told me that shear strength was suppused to begin breaking down at the rated milage. Before that they are all equal.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pablitomarrero For This Useful Post:
bluesubie (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #65
Deadspool
Much title. Wow.

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Pure STP.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #66
frs10

Drives: tezla
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
so is eneos the favorite now?
frs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #67
bluesubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frs10 View Post
so is eneos the favorite now?
No. The words "favorite oil" and "consensus on best oil" should never be used in an oil discussion thread. Each has their own favorite and there is never a consensus on anything.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #68
Ralph Spoilsport

Drives: 2013 BRZ, WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anyone know for sure what the bearing clearances are in the FA20 vs the EJ25?
Ralph Spoilsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #69
frs10

Drives: tezla
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
No. The words "favorite oil" and "consensus on best oil" should never be used in an oil discussion thread. Each has their own favorite and there is never a consensus on anything.
just as i suspected...
frs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #70
Pablitomarrero

Quote:

I'll see what kind of recommendations that I can get from some others.

-Dennis
Ended up going with PU 5w20 because i love it and because im not gonna pay 13 per quart for XL. Amsoil wont deal with me in PR and their local distributor wants to sell at atupid prices. His excuse is that i wont have to change the oil for a whole year so its better to buy SS at 16$ a quart. Hell no. Im sticking with my original love PU... 48$ for 6 quarts and free shipping from amazon ftw. Screw you amsoil