follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
FT86 SpeedFactory
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > New England

New England MA, ME, NH, RI, VT

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Repyt

Drives: Empty spot waiting to be filled...
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What dealer are you buying from?

FRS or BRZ doesn't matter. I've never dealt with a Subaru Dealership so I figured I'd ask. A couple friends of mine have dealt with Anchor Subaru in RI and Balise Subaru, both had horrible experiences. I called both about the BRZ and got a "wwuuutttt"... Tomorrow during business hours I will try and call Somerset Subaru and Long Subaru. Guess I am just looking for suggestions on who is reputable around here.

Last edited by Repyt; 02-19-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Repyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
M-17
Lone Wolf Status

Drives: BRZ or Monogram FRS???
Thanked 6,042 Times in 2,565 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Long Subaru didn't seem bad when I was looking for my current car. They had no idea about the car the last time I was there but that was a long time ago.

I have 2 or 3 dealers I know I would gladly do business with, but I'm not going to say which ones until the price it out for the BRZ.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:46 AM   #3
Canibuz

Drives: BRZ SOON!
Garage
Pre-ordered from Patrick Subaru. They have more pre-order slots available if anyone is interested. Talk to Luke tell him Kenny sent you!

The member of the BRZerhood formerly known as Reypt
How to spot a troll
Canibuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Turbowned

Drives: BRZ 6MT, MK1 MR2 5MT, Audi RS6 5AT
Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,035 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Dave Bowers @ Atlantic Subaru in Bourne, MA. He's an old co-worker of mine and a great guy.

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT - Vortech supercharged
2003 Audi RS6 quattro 5AT - 4.2L biturbo V8
1987 Toyota MR2 hardtop 5MT - 1.6L 20v 4AGE
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
M-17
Lone Wolf Status

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibuz View Post
Pre-ordered from Patrick Subaru. They have more pre-order slots available if anyone is interested. Talk to Luke tell him Kenny sent you!
Did they say they might go over msrp? I haven't talked to them in a while.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post
Did they say they might go over msrp? I haven't talked to them in a while.
I was told $500 under MSRP if I finance through them. We'll see if they honor that when the car gets here. Manchester Subaru also posted on NASIOC that they were allocated 49 BRZs, so I might just wait until a little later and get it from them if Patrick won't give me a good price.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
M-17
Lone Wolf Status

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceywilly View Post
I was told $500 under MSRP if I finance through them. We'll see if they honor that when the car gets here. Manchester Subaru also posted on NASIOC that they were allocated 49 BRZs, so I might just wait until a little later and get it from them if Patrick won't give me a good price.
I don't know if I believe that but its possible and I've heard bad things from others about theme, but I'd still give them a chance. The rep I dealt with over there seemed okay but they did try to play games with me on prices when I was looking for my temporary car.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:04 AM   #8
Canibuz

Garage
Quote:
I don't know if I believe that but its possible and I've heard bad things from others about theme, but I'd still give them a chance. The rep I dealt with over there seemed okay but they did try to play games with me on prices when I was looking for my temporary car.
Luke told me $250 off MSRP for being a NASIOC member and $500 ontop of the $250 if I finance through them. I'd highly suggest speaking to him. He didn't know as much about the car as we all do from the forums but he was pretty stoked to learn about it. My buddy went up there to get a WRX at the end of the year and all they had was one STI left. Luke worked out a great deal to get him into the STI.

How to spot a troll
Old 03-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
M-17
Lone Wolf Status

Garage
Quote:
Luke told me $250 off MSRP for being a NASIOC member and $500 ontop of the $250 if I finance through them. I'd highly suggest speaking to him. He didn't know as much about the car as we all do from the forums but he was pretty stoked to learn about it. My buddy went up there to get a WRX at the end of the year and all they had was one STI left. Luke worked out a great deal to get him into the STI.
They are one of the many dealerships I'm looking into, mostly because they are closer but I'll help you out if I decide to do my business there.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #10
Canibuz

Garage
Quote:
They are one of the many dealerships I'm looking into, mostly because they are closer but I'll help you out if I decide to do my business there.

Fyi if you look at the preorder thread we now know who got the second spot and according to him they should be receiving allocation numbers next week. Good news!

How to spot a troll
Old 03-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
M-17
Lone Wolf Status

Garage
Quote:
Fyi if you look at the preorder thread we now know who got the second spot and according to him they should be receiving allocation numbers next week. Good news!
You're refering to the map, correct?

I guess I should go check in on them this weekend perhaps to see where they stand on the BRZ.

Thanks.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #12
brufleth

Drives: 2007 WRX
Just for convenience, probably Subaru of Wakefield. Their close and a co-worker has had a good experience dealing with their sales and service departments.

City Side Subaru has been nothing but terrible if people are looking in the Boston area. We have worked with them a bunch for my wife's car and it has been a nightmare.

Planet Subaru is where my current car is from and they've been pretty good. Their service department is good too although they wash your car with their "special water recycling system" which usually leaves my car dirtier than when I bring it in. I'd probably be looking into buying from them again if they getting down there and back wasn't such a pain.
brufleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #13
(K)
They call me..."Ken"...

Drives: '04 Accord V6 MT
Anyone have personal experience with Quirk or Clay Subaru? Originally I wanted an FR-S from Copeland Toyota/Scion purely because it's convenient (3 minute drive from my house) but I'd rather make the drive for a BRZ if their service and sales department are any good.
(K) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
Turbowned

Drives: BRZ 6MT, MK1 MR2 5MT, Audi RS6 5AT
Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,035 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
I talked to the General Sales Manager at Quirk and he took down my info after appearing to know next-to-nothing about the car, and never called me back. I wouldn't waste my time with them.

I spoke to Corey Warren, the Sales Manager at Planet Subaru and he was 100% straightforward with me. He's a car nut himself (owns a Legacy Spec B and a 'Vette Z06) and informed me they would most likely charge $1k over MSRP, because they are only allocated 5 cars between now and November and it's not his choice so much as it's the owner's choice; he knows $5k on 5 cars is a drop in the bucket. They are taking a $2k refundable deposit to ensure that they will deliver the first cars to serious buyers. We spent about a half hour talking about the car and past experiences they've had with selling limited models such as the '07 STi Limited. If I had $2k in my piggy bank, I'd be on their list right now, because I think I'm gonna get the shaft at Atlantic. They're supposedly only getting two allocated and they're both ordered by employees so I might have to wait 'til next year.

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT - Vortech supercharged
2003 Audi RS6 quattro 5AT - 4.2L biturbo V8
1987 Toyota MR2 hardtop 5MT - 1.6L 20v 4AGE
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
taosracer
Frickin' Genius

Drives: SSM BRZ 6sp, 2002 ts wagon WRX swap
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Subaru of Keene, FTW
taosracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
(K)
They call me..."Ken"...

Keene is a bit of a drive for me, but if I get desperate, it might happen.

Thanks for the tip on Planet Subaru, I'll probably stop by this weekend to see if I can get more information from the local dealerships. $2,000 is double what Quirk wants, I guess they want serious buyers, but I have no issues with that seeing as I'm 90% certain I would be ordering a BRZ over an FR-S. As long as their service center is top tier, I won't have an issue.

taos, are you in Fall River?
Old 03-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
taosracer
Frickin' Genius

Drives: SSM BRZ 6sp, 2002 ts wagon WRX swap
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Nope, Troy NH. I'm a service adviser at Subaru of Keene Got to climb all over the car that was there today. Didn't stick around to see if we could get it on the lift. I'll wait to have mine for that
taosracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #18
korinfox

Drives: Lexus IS300 Sportcross
They did get it on the lift, and I've got some pictures of the underbody. Tell me what you want to see, and I'll see if I got a picture of it.
korinfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #19
cmspooner

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ - Manual
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by korinfox View Post
They did get it on the lift, and I've got some pictures of the underbody. Tell me what you want to see, and I'll see if I got a picture of it.
Damn...i should have stuck around :-), oh well, it was still worth the drive to see it!
cmspooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #20
charger500

Drives: 09 SpecB; 08 Z06; 70 Charger 500
Well I figure since I heard about this post from one of my coworkers and a previous customer I should join here and see what I can offer up to help anyone. Yes, I am Corey Warren the sales manager here at Planet Subaru. I will stand out since I'm the tall skinny southern guy who will disappear if I turn sideways and hopefully you can understand my accent when it comes out.

See if I can clear up or provide some answers to a few of you. I won't name specific places, but dealerships just play games or "toy with your emotions" when it comes to cars like this, they have nothing to lose and you will just go insane asking where is my car and how much is it. Again not every place is like this, but I do this for a living and in my eyes 90% of dealerships fit my idea of the ol' school high pressure kmart suit wearing place that will do anything to swindle a few extra dollars. I still don't like going to a dealership and I do it for a living, so I don't disagree or argue with the stigma attached to the profession. Heck I was banned from a dealership in college because I pointed out the master cylinder was leaking on a car my friend test drove, haha. One thing I will say without knowing the law 100% or making a hard stance, dealerships can require some things as part of a sale just as customers require us to let's say paint this scratch, give me this accessory and it's a deal. But you can't mandate certain things as in each state there are very much clear laws for that, in regards to that topic that is as far as I will go, take from it as you may for your own financial well being or security.

Ok back to the topic at hand, I don't see any point in asking for a deposit when you don't even know the price of the car!! We all pretty much can assume it's in the mid to upper 20's depending on trim level but why have a waiting list unless someone is blunt and is like I can afford anything I don't care here is my deposit. Have no urge to call a ton of people on a list for them to go okay you are msrp, msrp plus 1,000, etc and go okay let me call the other 5 dealers I have deposits with too. There is no logic in wasting my time or your time in such a foolish matter.

We have taken the stance to not take any deposits or determine pricing until Subaru of New England announces official pricing AFTER Subaru of America announces pricing as well. Every region can tweak a price so no point in going by one figure if it's not the real one. Since we only earn 5 and we like to think we have a very loyal customer base who appreciates what we have to offer and do, I don't see many issues in selling those 5. It does not appear Subaru will change it's mind and make more to loosen up that supply number. It's why I don't want to have a list of people who get "right of first refusal" to only annoy the "real buyers" who want it no matter what and realize the engineering & financial accomplishment that has been achieved with this car.

My personal view is this car is at least MSRP but I can't in my mind justify anything beyond a $1,000 over, who knows I could be wrong but I don't think with the Scion supply as well it can command beyond that. At some point there are plenty of other car options in the 30k range that even though may not be as reliable or well built you can't deny exist. Now some dealers may say hey I earned 10, 20, 30, etc who cares and more power to them if they "give em away" but in the long run isn't worth it. Sadly a car that to me brings so much enjoyment in it's appearance, handling and interior quality (makes my z06 look like an econo car but that's not saying much) will only serve as a thorn in the side with so few to sell. I'm happy we have this car and not happy all at the same time. I think it's even worse for the consumer though. A company builds a car that is hyped on it being an affordable daily sports car for the masses that can take the track on the weekend or drift around on it's prius sourced tires but we'll make so few of them you'll be ready to jump off a bridge by the time it finally arrives at the dealership for you to take delivery.

I'm happy to answer any questions or clear up anything if needed. Only correction I would have to the earlier post is MY idea was to do a $2,000 NON-refundable deposit, it was typed as refundable in the post. To me what's the big deal what the deposit amount is if you are going to buy the car?? If you have to debate that amount you might want to decide if you are the kind of customer who needs to buy something they can see/touch or can deal with an order and waiting a few months or longer. Again we don't even have a "policy" for the pricing or selling of this car yet since we don't have prices. These were all my ideas of how this car should sell and who knows we might do just that or something completely different.
1999 Dodge "The Hanson Ferrari" Ram
charger500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #21
(K)
They call me..."Ken"...

Corey, thank you for the post. It answered a few questions that I had in the back of my mind and also confirmed some notions that I had (and should have followed through with...but another day for that story). I know you mentioned that there's no set plan yet on BRZ sales at your dealership and you're not taking any deposits, but how will you go about when you're ready to take orders? Are you making sales to the first customer that walks through the door and signs papers or are you calling interested parties in advance for appointments and discussing it with them then?

In my opinion (and this is not directed towards any individual or dealership), this ARTIFICIAL exclusivity tactic that SoA and ToMoCO are using puts unneeded pressure on dealerships who are just trying to satisfy their customers (as opposed to a dealership that's out looking for sales). I understand you want to go about in a fair and professional manner with BRZ sales, but it doesn't seem like that's an option afforded to you. Not to mention customers who are ready to jump off bridges to obtain a "rare" car like this are prime targets for unsavory dealerships to take advantage of. It's easy to to say "just hold your horses" but human nature isn't so direct, there's ALWAYS going to be those who are innocent [read; naive] enough to be taken in by this sort of ploy and sadly there's just no way around it. Sad to say, prey will be prey (and I don't mean that in a derogatory manner), but I guess that's just the nature of the beast.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #22
charger500

Drives: 09 SpecB; 08 Z06; 70 Charger 500
I love these complex multi-part questions!!! No worries let's see what I can do here for you.

- As of this minute in time, what we are doing is simply taking down customer information so that when we do have official Subaru of New England pricing we can then contact customers with whatever we feel comfortable with pricing for this car should be. Then it's as simple as who gives us their order first understanding they have to wait a bit for a car, especially if you pick let's say a super jdm awesome white limited (can you tell which one I might order?? hint hint) and everyone else in the world also ordered that car you could be in a good size line where let's say I'm guessing a red automatic premium order would probably be filled much sooner.

- Here is where I think Subaru is coming from on this car. Have to remember at the end of the day profit rules every decision, popular or not. My theory is that whole 08 STi experience still gives a few nightmares to some executives at SOA. If you aren't familiar with what I'm talking about, they redesigned that car (in my opinion for the better), increased the price to cover the improvements, didn't market it correctly (aka at all), and then made WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too many of them. Remember the 0% for 63 months and UP to $5,000 dealer cash on each unit if that dealer sold 5 of them in a two month time frame?? Those cars used today with 20 to 30k sell the same for they did new during that 'crisis' for SOA. I can understand their fear of building a two door sports car they have not done virtually ever (I do not count the RS for this) and then jumping ship from the brand's die hard image of AWD. You can always build more the next year, but you sure can't just take them back. I call that event that happened with the STi the "05 GTO plaque." Where dealers were getting msrp and over non stop for 2004 Pontiac GTO's then someone went, hey man next year LS2 replaces the LS1 with more power, crazy insane hood scoops that make it super tacky and then everyone said peace out on the 04's and they SAT forever. Dealers got stuck with them and took huge hits. Last thing SOA wants is bad publicity, can't blame them with hit after hit, so no need to expose yourself to the risk. Think how bad you look with offering this great new car you can't get rid of?? Especially with SOA trying to get a FWD Impreza sold here in the US with dealers up in arms yelling how they don't want it. All they would hear is I told you so!!

- Do I like the position we are put in?? Good lord no!! Think of the time invested in this already, haven't and can't even sell one yet and when we are able to, I'll be able to count them all on one hand!! I'm a car guy, since I was a kid and my best friends in this world are just as addicted or sick as me with cars. To me getting a car should be super fun and something like this even better. Let's be honest, most of us won't have the chance to roll down to the Ferrari or Lambo dealer and order something rare in our lifetime. So when we do spend 20K plus for anything, especially brand new for the first time it should be fun not the misery that's going on currently with this for dealers and customers. Just have to see it from SOA's side of things as well, if they didn't make good money they can't make good products like this in the future either and in all honesty they don't have a lot of experience with demand for a crazy new product like this ever. Give them a chance and if things keep going well like they have since 2008 this company will reward us with even bigger and better offerings.

- If we had our way it be sort of like WRX's when it comes to these cars. WRX's in general since the 2011 redesign don't sit in stock very long to almost having none at all. So if you walk in and go hey I want one right now and I don't want to wait when there is less then a handful in the entire region, well then you need to pay near or at list. I have a good group of customers from legacygt.com and nasioc.com who have ordered from me. My logic has always been if you can trade patience for price then place an order. Realize you will have to wait but you MUST be patient since you didn't really pay what the car deserves. In turn this leaves a unit, hopefully, on the lot that is hard to come by ready to sell, show to a customer, etc who either can't wait or won't wait. The more I sell in theory the more I could earn (pending they build them), so it's a win/win for both of us. I would love nothing more then to have a bunch of auto-x, road course, gear heads come in and order these things from us. I'd love to have a list a mile long cause to me the car is gorgeous (rare for a Subaru), cheap, built insanely well and will just drive like a car close to twice it's price tag. I could chat with you all for hours about the fun AND stupid stuff I have done with cars. Would kill to see a BRZ always in for service, back with the latest mods, hear about people crushing stupid v6 mustangs and genesis coupes in solo, road course sessions at lime rock on and on.

- Yes I did see the article tonight where Subaru says they will build 100k of these things worldwide. Not sure what that means for us here in the states, it might honestly only help just a little I'm guessing, like 10,000 units instead of 6,000. If we hear anything at all will happily pass along any news I have as well. BTW, everyone is always welcome to stop by and chat with me while I'm at work. If I'm free happy to share any knowledge, stories, news that I can pass along.

- Do we want to sell cars for over MSRP?? It feels somewhat tainted since our manufacturer says sell this car for this, but if the market demands it and supply confirms it then at the end of the day I have a responsibility to my employer and employees to maximize the opportunities afforded to me, in this case 5!! I would prefer it be like the situation I described above for the WRX or any other rare Subaru, not be stuck with this cap on units but if they don't make them then there simply isn't enough to do that type of selling with either. We don't have the urge to gouge anyone, we just want to make sure what we do is fair and that when we do place an order for a customer they know it's their order and I'm not going to sell that car to someone else who paid more or who has a nicer trade, who decides to finance with me, etc.

Ok I'm done talking non stop, any more questions??
1999 Dodge "The Hanson Ferrari" Ram
charger500 is offline   Reply With Quote