follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-01-2013, 03:43 AM   #1
PoWn3d_0704

Drives: 1990 BNR32 GTR
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Valenti Tails Owners

I just got my tails installed a few days ago, and I freaking love them.

However, my buddy pointed something out to me. As great as these lights look, the bottom light section is so bright at night, that your eyes get pulled down to that light, instead of being able to enjoy the beautiful lines on the parking/running lights.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

I want the little red LED triangle in the bottom to go away unless I am braking. If I cant have that, I want it to go away all together.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Build Album:
PoWn3d's BRZ Pictures

Build Thread: PoWn3d's BRZ
PoWn3d_0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:43 AM   #2
Rumbaar
Victim's aren't we all

Drives: Toyota GTS 86 - Pegasus White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I have those smoked Valenti's too.

Isn't that 'LED Triangle' only on when your reverse fog light is on?

You can get a smoked Valenti bottom light section too.
Rumbaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
PoWn3d_0704

Garage
It is the Valenti tail section... Now, I'm pretty sure that it is always on. is for me anyways

Build Album:
PoWn3d's BRZ Pictures

Old 12-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Same setup here I don't have issue with it being on though personally.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
Killerbee

Drives: GR86 / Supra MK5 MT / MR-S / Z4
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I have the EDM Version of the car that comes with the reverse foglight from stock, and that is also the way the valentis work, the triangular light is only on when I turn on the reverse foglight. Thats the reason its so bright.
You should be able to get rid of it if you cut the wiring, there is a "connector" that connects the (if i remember correctly the left) taillight to the reverse/fog lamp, and there you just have to cut the fog light cable. Dont ask me however which cable, as USDM and EDM seem to have different cabeling in place. You may also check which cable is your brake light in the Taillight wiring, and just hook up the foglight cable to that one if you want to use it as a break light
Killerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Rumbaar
Victim's aren't we all

Drives: Toyota GTS 86 - Pegasus White
Garage
Yeah, something is wrong if it's on all the time.

On the column even if the front fogs are on, you have to manually turn the reverse one on each time you turn on the vehicle it doesn't stay on. But this is for the GTS 86 Australian version at least.
Rumbaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
PoWn3d_0704

Garage
Reverse fog? Pretty sure that isn't a thing on the USDM.

I just have the normal fog lights, on the stock, right?

Build Album:
PoWn3d's BRZ Pictures

Old 12-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
PoWn3d_0704

Garage
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jrFASjxwWQ&t=6m32s"]Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ installation guide for Valenti Tail Lights at ModBargains - YouTube[/ame]

EDIT: YouTube time sigs dont work on this site, I guess. Skip to 6:32.

Watch that little blip, and you'll see that it seems to be the way they are supposed to work.

I'm guessing that the reverse lights are in the wire plug, the blue wire is for the power to the V and the LED triangle, and the red is the signal wire for the blink. Sounds like I have to get inside the tailights to modify the LED triangle, huh?

Build Album:
PoWn3d's BRZ Pictures

Old 12-02-2013, 03:13 AM   #9
Killerbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoWn3d_0704 View Post

EDIT: YouTube time sigs dont work on this site, I guess. Skip to 6:32.

Watch that little blip, and you'll see that it seems to be the way they are supposed to work.

I'm guessing that the reverse lights are in the wire plug, the blue wire is for the power to the V and the LED triangle, and the red is the signal wire for the blink. Sounds like I have to get inside the tailights to modify the LED triangle, huh?
Well, if we go from factory standards the Valenti has been made for, this is still "wrong". Valentis Lower Reverse Lights bar are made for BRZ/GT86 that come with the rear fog light from the factory. As far as I learned in this forum, USDM has no rear fog light, so in theory, everything that is red in the lover reverse lights bar (so basically everything except the white reverse light) should NOT be working/Light up on USDM. On JDM and EDM cars, that all come with rear fog light as standard, the red "V" Bar, aswell as the triangular light are only on if you activate your rear fog light.

That said, you can of course rewire your lights as you seem fit. Thats also why you see those guys in the video using wire clamps to connect cables. On EDM and JDM it is just plug and play, no wire clamps needed at all. Keep in mind however that the Triangular light is by design a fog light, and therefore way brighter than a normal "running light".
Old 12-02-2013, 03:39 AM   #10
PoWn3d_0704

Garage
Yeah, I guess so. Sounds like my day is going to consist of possibly cutting some wires out of that taillight. I emailed ModBargains, since it is their video, to see what they say.

Build Album:
PoWn3d's BRZ Pictures

Old 12-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
mofugn

Drives: FRS
Question, does the stripe bars glow even more when brakes are pushed?
mofugn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:09 AM   #12
trustyler

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Doesn't the flashing of the triangle distract people from behind during stop and go traffic? Can the red triangle be wired for brakes only without repeated flashing?

I like it to do the blinking stuff during hard braking or freeway braking but I don't like it on during stop and go (I know this is impossible though just wishful thinking) That's why I'd rather go for my 2nd question.
trustyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #13
Killerbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustyler View Post
Doesn't the flashing of the triangle distract people from behind during stop and go traffic? Can the red triangle be wired for brakes only without repeated flashing?

I like it to do the blinking stuff during hard braking or freeway braking but I don't like it on during stop and go (I know this is impossible though just wishful thinking) That's why I'd rather go for my 2nd question.
The flashing triangle is only lighting up when you brake AND your reverse foglight is turned on. Otherwise it will not ligth up at all. At least that is what it is intended for - does not mean that ppl are on purpose wiring them "wrong" because they think its cool.
IMO its not cool to run rear foglights for "it looks cool" reasons, or as a 3rd/4th brake light. In my country, if a guy rear ends you and you had improper light wiring, they will claim a big amount of the damage from you, because its part your fault having improper/illegal lighting on your car.

To your question, it can, just have to hook it up to the brake light wire, and maybe (you would have to check) see if there is a relais that checks if the foglight itself is on and disable/bypass this.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:57 AM   #14
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I think a lot of people are giving misleading answers because of their EDM cars, which are not wired the same as our USDM cars.

To the OP, I was going to get the Valenti reverse bar as well, and my first question to the vendor was if I could make the triangle go away and only have the red "-V-" line lit up at night, and the triangle only come on as a solid triangle when I press the brakes without any flashing.

The answer I got was that yes, it's possible, but it requires some wiring changes. You'd have to open up the reverse bar, and disconnect the wire lighting up the triangle part from the -V- part, and then splice a wire going from the brake lights from your tails into the triangle part of the reverse bar. That way, the -V- line is lit up at the same time your tail lights have their running lights on, and then the middle triangle only comes on when you press on the brakes, and it stays solid instead of flashing.

TLDR: Bottom line, it's doable, but requires some electrical knowledge.
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote