follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 12-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thoughts on Tires

Hey guys,

I'm finally looking into getting new tires, I've read some reviews online and have settled on Pilot Super Sports. I'm just looking to see if anyone can offer a compelling reason to go with something else?

Before the questions roll in I'll cover anything that might be relevant. It's an FRS with RCE springs on stock dampers. I have front control arm bushings, though I'm still waiting on the com-c top hats and will have camber adjustment front and rear. The car is tuned and I have a drop in filter, but otherwise the engine is stock. I also have subframe and diff mount bushings, but I doubt those would make any difference. I'm sticking with the stock rims until I see a compelling reason to upgrade, they look fine to me. And was planing on going with the stock tire size. (Should I go with a wider size on the stock rims?) My intention with these tires is a high performance street tire. I'm not looking for a track tire.

Thanks

Oh, and do we have any tire vendors on the board?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,280 Times in 2,968 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
There are grippier tires out there, but we really liked the PSS as a summer street tire. They last a long time, they give good grip in dry and wet conditions, and they're predictable.

As for size, it doesn't hurt to go to a 225 on the stock wheels, but that's up to you!

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Calum (12-26-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
MightyMeeple
Slower than Fast

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Interesting idea...I've been looking to upgrade wheels to save some weight and get to a wider tire. I was planning to get 17x8inch wheels and run 225 tire (most likely PSS).

But I honestly never thought about just slapping 225s on the stock wheels. Anyone else doing this? Any issues with clearance? How wide is too wide for the stock wheels?

Also, @DarrenDriven may want to move this thread over to the Tires/Wheels section.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
There are grippier tires out there, but we really liked the PSS as a summer street tire. They last a long time, they give good grip in dry and wet conditions, and they're predictable.

As for size, it doesn't hurt to go to a 225 on the stock wheels, but that's up to you!

- Andy
Is there any down side to the wider size on the stick rim, Andy? I'd imagine they'd roll over a little more removing some of the feed back. But moving from stock tires I probably wouldn't notice.

Edit: I just looked at the specs and the 225 45 17 has a higher speed rating. They might even feel better.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk

Last edited by Calum; 12-26-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
PSS are generally a little wider anyway, so I would just stick with the stock size. I did, and they are phenomenal tires. I'm sure there are better dedicated tires for auto-x, etc. but these offer such a good balance of quality, stickiness, and wear rating that they can't be beat for daily driving duties.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
I ran 225 RS3 on stock wheels, stock suspension, made a large difference in stability consider it if you are even going to dump the money.

Pilot SS are not the stickiest of tires, they are certainly good in wet but dry, I would consider the new Dunlop StarSpec Z2. RS3 are better but they just get so loud after 3000 miles.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,280 Times in 2,968 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Is there any down side to the wider size on the stick rim, Andy? I'd imagine they'd roll over a little more removing some of the feed back. But moving from stock tires I probably wouldn't notice.

Edit: I just looked at the specs and the 225 45 17 has a higher speed rating. They might even feel better.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
Yeah just a little more rollover but not a huge difference. It'll feel worlds better than stock.

PSS aren't very loud which is another plus.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Calum (12-26-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Yeah just a little more rollover but not a huge difference. It'll feel worlds better than stock.

PSS aren't very loud which is another plus.

- Andy
Quite, long lasting (relatively), predictable, and good wet and dry performance. I'm sold. Thanks a ton.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Are you still waiting on the properly fixed c-Coms? I gave up and have a set of Hvt camber plates coming. Also I ran two sets of 225 tires on the stock wheels no issues.
Calum (12-27-2013), MightyMeeple (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I've driven PSSs on our 135 and our 911 and they seem like really good all-around warm-weather tyres. They wear slowly, ride pretty nicely, grip quite well and feel pretty progressive to me. I haven't spent much time actually sliding those cars around since they're both street cars and both make a ton of grip for normal road speeds, but I do have a friend who said he had them on his S5 and that he thought they felt very progressive until you got a significant slip angle going and that then they became somewhat wild. I don't really know if that's the case, but they definitely have good feel for normal street driving (basically up to small slip angles). They're also surprisingly good in the wet-- they feel at least as good in the rain as the old Z1 Star Specs I had on my GTI did.

Hope this helps. Do post your impressions if/when you get the PSSs! I'm thinking of getting a set soon as well... still trying to decide between 215s and 225s on my 17x7.5s.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
I do have a friend who said he had them on his S5 and that he thought they felt very progressive until you got a significant slip angle going and that then they became somewhat wild. I don't really know if that's the case, but they definitely have good feel for normal street driving (basically up to small slip angles).
I'm curious if this has anything to do with platform. A buddy of mine has them on his STi swapped 2.5RS and he much prefers the breakaway characteristics of the RE11s, but he's only driven the RE11s on his Miata. Could be that there's some difference in breakaway characteristics under power vs under lateral g loading or a combo of the two, or, it could be that something in the suspension setup difference between the two cars leads them into being less progressive.

Nathan
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldy View Post
Are you still waiting on the properly fixed c-Coms? I gave up and have a set of Hvt camber plates coming. Also I ran two sets of 225 tires on the stock wheels no issues.
Yeah, I am. I really like the idea of the product. This is the very last chance but my car is in storage so it doesn't really matter right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
I've driven PSSs on our 135 and our 911 and they seem like really good all-around warm-weather tyres. They wear slowly, ride pretty nicely, grip quite well and feel pretty progressive to me. I haven't spent much time actually sliding those cars around since they're both street cars and both make a ton of grip for normal road speeds, but I do have a friend who said he had them on his S5 and that he thought they felt very progressive until you got a significant slip angle going and that then they became somewhat wild. I don't really know if that's the case, but they definitely have good feel for normal street driving (basically up to small slip angles). They're also surprisingly good in the wet-- they feel at least as good in the rain as the old Z1 Star Specs I had on my GTI did.

Hope this helps. Do post your impressions if/when you get the PSSs! I'm thinking of getting a set soon as well... still trying to decide between 215s and 225s on my 17x7.5s.
I will post my impressions, but it'll be at least March before I see my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
I'm curious if this has anything to do with platform. A buddy of mine has them on his STi swapped 2.5RS and he much prefers the breakaway characteristics of the RE11s, but he's only driven the RE11s on his Miata. Could be that there's some difference in breakaway characteristics under power vs under lateral g loading or a combo of the two, or, it could be that something in the suspension setup difference between the two cars leads them into being less progressive.

Nathan
That was my thought to, different platforms will respond differently. I know my old 2.5i on RE11's was great until a point, then all hell broke loose.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #13
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
That was my thought to, different platforms will respond differently. I know my old 2.5i on RE11's was great until a point, then all hell broke loose.
Can't handle the big H4?

The PSS is in the same category as Hankook V12 Evo and Conti DW. If you're looking for better grip characteristics for DD, RE11A is probably one of the best DD EHP tires around. Get RS3 for dry pavement performance.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
Can't handle the big H4?

The PSS is in the same category as Hankook V12 Evo and Conti DW. If you're looking for better grip characteristics for DD, RE11A is probably one of the best DD EHP tires around. Get RS3 for dry pavement performance.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into them!

Tags
suberman, will ruin this thread