follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #491
roroskis

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmM View Post
I just waited. I called the company the day after I knew my car was getting shipped to ask for an ETA and the drivers number though.
Cool cool, thanks for the info.
roroskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #492
FlyLow

Drives: Biking
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I can't wait to get my car either,but still waiting on the paperwork to be delivered. Did anybody get a tracking number for the paperwork? Is there a better way to contact Dawn than through calls? I'm usually busy at work and cant call, when I do she's busy. I havent heard a response back from my email to her sent last Friday.
FlyLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #493
vhx1

Drives: 06 AP2 S2000
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Awesome man!! I was checking out your car too haha. I have been enjoying mines the past few days as well. If I see your car driving around I'll hook and say "YO!"
I see a white limited in my work parking structure with Heuberger Plates. This must be your car!
vhx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #494
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLow View Post

Did anybody pay for the tax at Heuberger also? Or was the tax paid when registering in California?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylop33 View Post
As described in the first post (somewhere) you will pay the dealer the tax at the rate for your city in California where you live. The paperwork they send you about 7-10 days after the car arrives will include a cashiers check made out to DMV for that tax amount. You will then only pay the registration fee after handing them cashiers check.
The answer is actually easier to understand this way:

No matter what you are paying sales tax, it just depends on where the funds originate. If you are financing any portion of the car, you have the option of paying sales tax yourself, or paying sales tax that is collected by the dealer.

If you pay tax by yourself, you have to actually have cash on hand (cash/check) to pay the tax. This will be entirely separate from the purchase of the car itself...

If you have the dealer collect tax for you (which is what most in-state buyers do to begin with), the tax is folded into the total price to be financed (less down payment) and the dealer "pays" on your behalf. But like the registration process, buying out of state means you take care of the paperwork yourself, including tax.

Basically there's two scenarios:

1) Pay dealer down payment, secure financing for all parts of car purchase less sales tax, prepare sales tax on your own (not financed), buy car.

or

2) Pay dealer down payment, secure financing for all parts of car purchase including sales tax, buy car.

Either way, it just means you're paying more (or less) for your down payment.

Understanding the process really helps in the future for any type of car purchase, because you can understand what exactly a dealership is doing for you when they handle the paperwork. This applies to any car purchase in any state...

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #495
rhythmM

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited MT - White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhx1 View Post
I see a white limited in my work parking structure with Heuberger Plates. This must be your car!
If its in the WT parking structure, thats me!
rhythmM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #496
vhx1

Drives: 06 AP2 S2000
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
If its in the WT parking structure, thats me!
yes thats the one!
vhx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #497
Jefrenr

Drives: Honda Civic Hybrid :(
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a deal with Clint. Before I send the "ok", what additional fees besides state taxes and registration required to close the deal? Just curious, how much did you spend for shipping, more particular SoCal in the San Gabriel/ Inland Empire area?

Thanks for the response
Jefrenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #498
rhythmM

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited MT - White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I think it was just the dealer fees, your county tax, and then the shipping fees. They will go over that with you on the phone.... And in more detail lol
rhythmM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #499
LOUVEMACHINE

Drives: Currently R53 / Future BRZ
can someone in socal msg me what theyre OTD cost is please?
LOUVEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #500
davesbrz

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ
I didn't see this in the original post, so I will add this advice here so maybe it will help others as they are dealing with their dealer paperwork/P.O.
If you not financing your car and are shipping it, then shipping *should not* be part of the "Price Paid for the car", as shown on your Purchase Order from the dealer.
If the shipping gets included in that number then DMV will end up taxing you on the shipping too.

You can save yourself about $60 of unfair taxation if you work with the person doing your paperwork and make sure that the correct numbers are in the appropriate places.
For me, this issue was noted early with the dealership folks, but I was told that it would be okay since the shipping number was shown elsewhere, that the DMV clerk could simply subtract it.
Well, sure they could.... but DMV clerks, and their managers, will only accept what is actually written in the correct place on the official P.O.

As far as I'm concerned, this is small in the scheme of things, and I'm not complaining here...
I just wanted to help others in the future avoid paying an undeserved tax on something - just one more thing to check as you go through your paperwork and sign it to finalize your sale.
Again I think that this only applies if you are not financing your car, since the shipping is normally included as part of the financed amount if you are financing the car.
davesbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #501
JustStan

Drives: '00 Eclipse GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesbrz View Post
I didn't see this in the original post, so I will add this advice here so maybe it will help others as they are dealing with their dealer paperwork/P.O.
If you not financing your car and are shipping it, then shipping *should not* be part of the "Price Paid for the car", as shown on your Purchase Order from the dealer.
If the shipping gets included in that number then DMV will end up taxing you on the shipping too.

You can save yourself about $60 of unfair taxation if you work with the person doing your paperwork and make sure that the correct numbers are in the appropriate places.
For me, this issue was noted early with the dealership folks, but I was told that it would be okay since the shipping number was shown elsewhere, that the DMV clerk could simply subtract it.
Well, sure they could.... but DMV clerks, and their managers, will only accept what is actually written in the correct place on the official P.O.

As far as I'm concerned, this is small in the scheme of things, and I'm not complaining here...
I just wanted to help others in the future avoid paying an undeserved tax on something - just one more thing to check as you go through your paperwork and sign it to finalize your sale.
Again I think that this only applies if you are not financing your car, since the shipping is normally included as part of the financed amount if you are financing the car.
That's a good tip, but why wouldn't it apply if you are financing? Shipping still shouldn't be taxable. I brought this up with the person doing my paperwork as well and got the same response, "It'll be okay".
JustStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:14 AM   #502
Silverpike
popular among the JDM

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Super long shot: I lost my title, because I'm retarded. Is the title required to register the car?
Silverpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:23 AM   #503
tonylop33
Certified Car Nut

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB Limited 6MT
Is this a new car that had never been registered? Did you lose the Manufacturer's Certificate/Statement of Origin? I think you need to work with the dealer to get a duplicate from the manufacturer. I would look high and low because this is going to be a pain.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch7/ch7_2.htm

If it has been previously titled, then you can request a duplicate title via DMV.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg227.pdf

Prior cars: 2011 GT-R (still owned), 2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones Mustang, 2007 Mini Cooper S, 2004 MazdaSpeed Miata Turbo, 2003 G35 Sports Coupe, 2002 WRX, 2001 Z28 SS, 2000 300ZX, 1995 BMW M3, 1882 Nissan 280ZX, 1981 RX7, 1978 Camaro Z28, 1968 Shelby GT 350
tonylop33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #504
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpike View Post
Super long shot: I lost my title, because I'm retarded. Is the title required to register the car?

The process is:

Certificate of Origin >> Title issued >> Registration issued.

If you lost a title you can get a duplicate.

If you lost the certificate of origin and never had the car titled, you will need to get a duplicate from the dealer. Most likely there will be a fee on this.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Silverpike (11-19-2013)

Tags
brz, buying, california, colorado, msrp