follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
I have Eibach Sportlines and sometimes I feel like it's too low for my taste. I think I should've gone with a Pro-Kit, but I'm not sure.

About half the pics I see with a Pro-Kit look great, while the other half you can barely tell the car is dropped.

Who knows...maybe after seeing my car on a Pro-Kit I'd want the Sportlines back.
I think some of that is that the "just installed" ProKit images are showing springs that haven't settled. Once ProKits settle, they look just low enough to close that gap perfectly, but still high enough to be kind on shocks and look semi-OEM.

Source: my butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enwave For This Useful Post:
ericmpena (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #16
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enwave View Post
I think some of that is that the "just installed" ProKit images are showing springs that haven't settled. Once ProKits settle, they look just low enough to close that gap perfectly, but still high enough to be kind on shocks and look semi-OEM.

Source: my butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So I guess if I wanted to make the switch I'd have to buy a Pro-Kit, swap it for my Sportlines, then sell the Sportlines.

It sucks because I've already put the money into front camber bolts and rear LCAs, plus the cost of install. I'd have to spend another $200 for a Pro-Kit and about $240 for install, then sell my Sportlines for $150ish. Gonna put me $300 in the hole just to see if my gut feeling about Pro-Kit looking better is correct. Not to mention the cost of installing the LCAs and Sportlines was $450 and that's all pretty much wasted money as well. Damn.

I mean, I don't mind the look of the Sportlines. I just think that a Pro-Kit would've made more sense since this is my DD and I'm on stock struts.

Do y'all have any pics of your Pro-Kit after it's settled??
ericmpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikdrt1 View Post
so, Ive had my Swift springs for about a year. I miss my 'cush' ride and its getting to the point where I want my original suspension back ? ok , maybe its because im 'over-the'hill but still ---- anyone else go thru withdrawals ?

yea, it looks better but im thinking of packing it up and calling it a phase. TI also question the real advantage ? it seemed that with the stock suspension I had a bit more travel and on mtn runs, it seemed to sway a bit more but its more forgiving on the bumps and I don't think im doing my stock shocks a favor either ?

thoughts - suggestions ? im about to pull them out.
There's definitely nothing wrong with the stock suspension, this car gets critical acclaim left right and centre, and the suspension is a large part of it. As long as you can live with going back to the extra wheel gap then by all means. Forums are pretty terrible places for advice, everyone is convinced that what they do is for the best - the budget for engineering, testing and development in an OEM far surpasses anything that the aftermarket will muster.

I wish my coilovers were softer, that's my biggest complaint to be honest - but I like the look so I will deal with it.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #18
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Unless the springs are complete shit (extreme variation in advertised spring rates, massive spring sag), you are probably expecting too much for just lowering springs with up-rated spring rates.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #19
Sellout
Mr. Cranky Pants

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliverBrz View Post
get koni yellows.

problem solved
QFT. I recently installed the Konis (already had eibach sportline) and the difference is astounding.

I do regret buying sportlines instead of swift sports though. 1.4" is just a bit too low on this car.
Sellout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #20
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
so, Ive had my Swift springs for about a year. I miss my 'cush' ride and its getting to the point where I want my original suspension back ? ok , maybe its because im 'over-the'hill but still ---- anyone else go thru withdrawals ?

yea, it looks better but im thinking of packing it up and calling it a phase. TI also question the real advantage ? it seemed that with the stock suspension I had a bit more travel and on mtn runs, it seemed to sway a bit more but its more forgiving on the bumps and I don't think im doing my stock shocks a favor either ?

Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
rikdrt1 (11-07-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #21
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
So I guess if I wanted to make the switch I'd have to buy a Pro-Kit, swap it for my Sportlines, then sell the Sportlines.

It sucks because I've already put the money into front camber bolts and rear LCAs, plus the cost of install. I'd have to spend another $200 for a Pro-Kit and about $240 for install, then sell my Sportlines for $150ish. Gonna put me $300 in the hole just to see if my gut feeling about Pro-Kit looking better is correct. Not to mention the cost of installing the LCAs and Sportlines was $450 and that's all pretty much wasted money as well. Damn.

I mean, I don't mind the look of the Sportlines. I just think that a Pro-Kit would've made more sense since this is my DD and I'm on stock struts.

Do y'all have any pics of your Pro-Kit after it's settled??
Dont even bother posting a sale thread for those sportlines when/if you take them off, you got a (90% sure) buyer right here my friend
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #22
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

Old 11-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #23
Noob4Life
86 Noob

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I've been thinking the same thing. I stupidly went with the Koru lip so altogether I'm sitting at a 2.5" drop in the front of the car lol I think it's just too low to have fun in. I was thinking about finding somebody with a pro kit and just trying to do an even swap. I'm sure there's people out there wanting to go lower lol but then again a .5" difference isn't going to do a whole lot with that lip on. I'm torn too haha
Old 11-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #24
Silverpike
popular among the JDM

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm surprised by this thread actually. I thought the Swifts were very close to the stock spring rate. It's unusual to me that the difference would be enough to cause regret.

Now I need to find someone local with these springs to compare the difference...
Silverpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #25
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpike View Post
I'm surprised by this thread actually. I thought the Swifts were very close to the stock spring rate. It's unusual to me that the difference would be enough to cause regret.

Now I need to find someone local with these springs to compare the difference...
I have the same springs as OP and I'm happy with them. I like them better than the stock springs. The factory rear springs felt like they had too much compression damping out of the box anyhow.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #26
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4Life View Post
I've been thinking the same thing. I stupidly went with the Koru lip so altogether I'm sitting at a 2.5" drop in the front of the car lol I think it's just too low to have fun in. I was thinking about finding somebody with a pro kit and just trying to do an even swap. I'm sure there's people out there wanting to go lower lol but then again a .5" difference isn't going to do a whole lot with that lip on. I'm torn too haha
yea, the swift sports are 1.0 on all 4 - its good don't get me wrong. I love the look and idont know about spring rates and all that technical crap but all I know the wife doesn't even like getting in the car anymore and everyone ocmments on how rough it is - like I said, im not 20 anymore so some of it is that too but its noticeable.

I see a lot of folks buying the konis and improving it but daumm, that's 500dollars or so to try to get it back as it was designed.

the more I think about this the more I want to ignore the looks and just go back to OEM.

WELL, good to hear im not alone.
BTW, I rode in a friends that has the EIcbachs' -- holy crap I would of switched them months ago. way too rough compared to the Swifts..

thanks for the input guys...

MotegiRacing - TRD Racing -OemAudio++- Michellin Pilot SuperSports- Greddy -FiveAxis - SparksScion - BlueBat Overlays -Pioneer -SWIFT Engineering Sports- Evasive Motorsports-
SoCAL
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #27
Noob4Life
86 Noob

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
yea, the swift sports are 1.0 on all 4 - its good don't get me wrong. I love the look and idont know about spring rates and all that technical crap but all I know the wife doesn't even like getting in the car anymore and everyone ocmments on how rough it is - like I said, im not 20 anymore so some of it is that too but its noticeable.

I see a lot of folks buying the konis and improving it but daumm, that's 500dollars or so to try to get it back as it was designed.

the more I think about this the more I want to ignore the looks and just go back to OEM.

WELL, good to hear im not alone.
BTW, I rode in a friends that has the EIcbachs' -- holy crap I would of switched them months ago. way too rough compared to the Swifts..

thanks for the input guys...
If you didn't cut your oem bumpstops that's probably why your ride is so rough. Only the Eibachs and Hotchkis springs come with shorter bumpstops. I can definitely feel the bumps a little more since lowering it but it's not like this care was soft to begin with. The ride is still oemish to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #28
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,280 Times in 2,968 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4Life View Post
If you didn't cut your oem bumpstops that's probably why your ride is so rough. Only the Eibachs and Hotchkis springs come with shorter bumpstops. I can definitely feel the bumps a little more since lowering it but it's not like this care was soft to begin with. The ride is still oemish to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Racecomp Yellow and our Tarmac springs come with bumpstops. I don't think Hotchkis springs do (could be wrong).

A mild drop with proper spring rates makes a big difference, especially with proper shortened bumpstops.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (11-08-2013)