follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #15
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalers08 View Post
And broken/double jointed ankles! Never understood how people do it.
The funny thing is, Tyrese did that in 2 Fast 2 Furious in that race against the musclecars. My guess is that somebody told him what to do but not specifically which part of your foot does what.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
cantaloupe

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This is my first manual car and I've been rev matching every time I downshift. Are you guys saying that rev matching is not required for this car?
cantaloupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
steezypenguin

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantaloupe View Post
This is my first manual car and I've been rev matching every time I downshift. Are you guys saying that rev matching is not required for this car?
This car is my first manual transmission as well. From my experience, if I don't rev match, the car will "lunge" forward. But when I do Rev match, it makes the car ride smoother.
steezypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #18
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
It's not "required" for any car. It's just a good thing to do without any real drawback. It's smoother, helps speed up downshifting and lengthens the lifespan of the parts involved (i.e. clutch). Luckily now, there are a ton of resources (i.e. a thousand YouTube videos about it) to learn from, so you can probably practice it and more or less figure it out within a week or so.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #19
BRZ-OwnzJo0

Drives: 2016 WRX Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I never rev match. Lazy.

On a similar note, does anyone else get a noticeable grind going into 3rd? It happens in most of the gears honestly from time to time but almost always going into 3rd. Feels like a bad syncro IMO.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #20
mitosis

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2008 Fit
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't think anyone was saying rev matching is not required for this car, they were saying that double-clutching is not required for this car.

Well maybe, in a way, they were saying that rev matching is not REQUIRED for this car... as in you don't HAVE to do it because like any modern car it has synchros... but it is certainly a very, very good idea to rev match on your downshifts with any manual transmission.
mitosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #21
cantaloupe

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for clarification. I will continue to rev match during downshifts. Never got around to learn about double clutch.
cantaloupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #22
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Garage
Just a stupid question, I've driven a stick for 11 years but when I downshift, I typically go from 6th/5th to 2nd with rev-matching below 60MPH, usually when I hit an offramp. Is that going to be problematic considering we can't skip gears upshifting without damaging synchros?
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #23
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
I just use the left side of my foot for the brake and the right side to blip the throttle. My ankles don't cooperate when I try the normal heel/toe method...
I can't make my leg do that either. I'm gonna need to get one of those gas pedal extension plates for my car though, 'cause when I wear normal shoes I can just barely grab both pedals with the sides of my foot, but when I wear my smaller, thinner shoes that I like to use for driving I can't get the right side of my foot to reach the gas
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #24
mitosis

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2008 Fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayJesus View Post
I typically go from 6th/5th to 2nd with rev-matching below 60MPH, usually when I hit an offramp.
I usually down shift (always with rev matching) through 6/5/4 and then just ride 4th down to about 2k RPM and just put it in neutral for the final few MPH if coming to a stop.

If I am not coming to a stop I'll continue down to 3rd in the initial downshifting sequence and then continue onto the surface streets in 3rd.

If I only brought it down to 4th/neutral because I was expecting to stop but then the light turns green then I'll just go from neutral to whatever gear I so choose as appropriate for the current speed of the vehicle and the rate at which I want to accelerate... ie if I'm down at 25 I could go into 3rd to just cruise forward granny style or 2nd if I wanna gun it.

I've always been under the impression that if your car is currently in neutral and still travelling forward that you can throw it into whatever gear you want, some gears might need a bit of rev matching to get past the lockout but other than that I thought choosing your proper gear was fair game among all choices and part of the challenge of driving a stick.
mitosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mitosis For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (10-02-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #25
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitosis View Post
I usually down shift (always with rev matching) through 6/5/4 and then just ride 4th down to about 2k RPM and just put it in neutral for the final few MPH if coming to a stop.

If I am not coming to a stop I'll continue down to 3rd in the initial downshifting sequence and then continue onto the surface streets in 3rd.

If I only brought it down to 4th/neutral because I was expecting to stop but then the light turns green then I'll just go from neutral to whatever gear I so choose as appropriate for the current speed of the vehicle and the rate at which I want to accelerate... ie if I'm down at 25 I could go into 3rd to just cruise forward granny style or 2nd if I wanna gun it.

I've always been under the impression that if your car is currently in neutral and still travelling forward that you can throw it into whatever gear you want, some gears might need a bit of rev matching to get past the lockout but other than that I thought choosing your proper gear was fair game among all choices and part of the challenge of driving a stick.
I always saw my dad just going straight to 3rd or 2nd depending on his speed when I was growing up.

As for heel toe, it's easy to do the left/right rocker with the sides of size 13 shoes, and even easier with combat boots
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #26
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
You will not hurt the tranny by skipping gears going up or down.
There is noting magical inside that forces you to sequence through the gears in a certain order.

You most certainly CAN rev match going both up & down.
One thing I have noticed about this car: I cannot shift it without the clutch.
On all of my other cars I could rev match, and shift clutchless.
This car just does not let you do that.

Also, for those talking about heel toeing this car.... I'm not sure they have actually tried it:
1 - the pedals are not set up (very well) for heel & toe
2 - The ECU does some strange things when trying to heel toe (wont let the revs stay up with the clutch in) I believe.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #27
DeeezNuuuts83

It's not the BEST layout for heel-toeing, but it's not bad at all. It's way more pleasant to do it than in a 370Z, WRX/STI and a few other cars I can't remember.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeeezNuuuts83 For This Useful Post:
Pete156 (10-02-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #28
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Heel toe, skipping gears, and double clutching have nothing to do with what the OP is looking for: smooth gear changes. It takes finesse and practice and there's no right way to do it, find your own rhythm, watch a couple videos and don't worry about wannabe racecar drivers. Practice, everybody learns in time and the above whinging and ego stroking trying to show off your technique is inconsequential to seat time. KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-05-2013)