follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #29
davidp

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
well i'm a previous gencoupe owner .. now rolling in a brz ... i went for a test drive with the 500 abarth last week and found it to be a fun little car .. it feels nice in the twisties and has no torque steer which is pretty nice for a little car with that much torque ..
torque comes in at really low rpm's and i miss that feeling i had with the genesis ..
the seating position is too high in the car and makes you feel like you're in a minivan and i hope fiat will correct this ..
the shifter is ugly and feeling isn't great .. i remember my 1996 accent had a more precise feel...
dashboard is ugly .. i thought that the brz's dash not so good coming from a genesis but was really happy to get in my brz after testing the abarth lol

the abarth is a nice little car but they should correct these problems because right now i think it's overpriced for what it is .. they sell it for the price of my fully equipped brz here (29000$) .. while i think it should be more like 22-24k
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #30
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I was also shopping for either a Abarth or BRZ. I chose the BRZ after driving both. The main reason was that the Abarth handed and felt like crap compared to the BRZ. The Abarth has lots of body roll (feel like I may roll it in a hard corner), the steering is vague, and the steering wheel doesn't telescope. It's not a drivers car, it's just a faster 500 flashy econobox. Yes the Abarth is cool, the exhaust sounds good, and yes I wouldn't mind it if someone bought one for me but I'd never spend money on one after driving both multiple times. Thus why I bought the BRZ.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #31
speed7

Drives: 2006 C55
So to bring a thread back from the dead. I was actually googling for a Chris Harris Abarth video and found this.

So I actually just recently purchased an Abarth. But was specifically looking at the BRZ prior to even considering the Fiat. Mainly I wanted to sell my C55 and buy a track car. Something that would be reliable, new, and I could simply just drive it to the track and then drive home.

The BRZ is what I test drove.. Love the car. Handles like a dream, planted. Very reminiscent of a 93 R1 Rx7 I used to have. Same blind spots too. =)

Except for one HUGE issue I had with the car. All of the power was at the top. And unless you really gave it the beans you really weren't going anywhere. And the lack of torque was really killed it for me.

Now I test drove the Abarth honestly by accident... walked up to the dealership which was next to the Ford dealership (looking at mustangs) and asked to test one out. I flat out said.. "I'm not going to buy one of these" to the sales guy. Told him I was just curious.. looked meaner then I thought they would IRL. He laughed at me and said "everyone says that, but then ends up buying one."

So first thing to note when you start an Abarth and the engine and exhaust is cold. It is soooooooo LOUD.. it just screams "I'm upset right now". Give it a little gas at that point and it back fires and grumbles. All at the same time... puts a big $#!T eating grin on your face.

So in the end I got this for my track car. Mainly because after a little bit of research I found that with just a few bolt on's you can get some really fun power out of it. At the wheels 196 HP and 233ft lb torque. Couple that with a KW coil over suspension and some good sticky tires you can really make this thing scoot.

Granted the seating position is all wrong.. and the car is FWD. But for the money you really can't beat it. To start its cheap 22k.. Tires aren't all that expensive. The KW v3's cost the same if you are a BRZ or a Fiat... To get the HP up to the numbers I posted costs $700. And even comes with a remote so you can on the fly choose between 3 settings (Off, sport, and race).

And being that this was going to be a track car I was going to cage it anyways and so the resale value wasn't really going to be there. Plus in all honesty the car I really wanted for a track car isn't here yet.

Till then this is what I went with. However... when the STI version of the BRZ is released. That will be track car number 2. That is all the BRZ really needed to be perfect. More torque.. and I'm hoping that with a lower compression engine and an added turbo this would complete the package for the BRZ.
speed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speed7 For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (07-20-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 02:17 AM   #32
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
those cars are just so damn ugly. omg i can't stand seeing them. the shape of the car remind me of the villains in the game pac-man. i can't believe anybody would spend $22k for a hunk of crap like that. that's crazy. i'd take a honda fit or a toyota yaris if compact, light, and good fuel mileage was what i was after.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:59 AM   #33
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed7 View Post
So to bring a thread back from the dead. I was actually googling for a Chris Harris Abarth video and found this.

So I actually just recently purchased an Abarth. But was specifically looking at the BRZ prior to even considering the Fiat. Mainly I wanted to sell my C55 and buy a track car. Something that would be reliable, new, and I could simply just drive it to the track and then drive home.

The BRZ is what I test drove.. Love the car. Handles like a dream, planted. Very reminiscent of a 93 R1 Rx7 I used to have. Same blind spots too. =)

Except for one HUGE issue I had with the car. All of the power was at the top. And unless you really gave it the beans you really weren't going anywhere. And the lack of torque was really killed it for me.

Now I test drove the Abarth honestly by accident... walked up to the dealership which was next to the Ford dealership (looking at mustangs) and asked to test one out. I flat out said.. "I'm not going to buy one of these" to the sales guy. Told him I was just curious.. looked meaner then I thought they would IRL. He laughed at me and said "everyone says that, but then ends up buying one."

So first thing to note when you start an Abarth and the engine and exhaust is cold. It is soooooooo LOUD.. it just screams "I'm upset right now". Give it a little gas at that point and it back fires and grumbles. All at the same time... puts a big $#!T eating grin on your face.

So in the end I got this for my track car. Mainly because after a little bit of research I found that with just a few bolt on's you can get some really fun power out of it. At the wheels 196 HP and 233ft lb torque. Couple that with a KW coil over suspension and some good sticky tires you can really make this thing scoot.

Granted the seating position is all wrong.. and the car is FWD. But for the money you really can't beat it. To start its cheap 22k.. Tires aren't all that expensive. The KW v3's cost the same if you are a BRZ or a Fiat... To get the HP up to the numbers I posted costs $700. And even comes with a remote so you can on the fly choose between 3 settings (Off, sport, and race).

And being that this was going to be a track car I was going to cage it anyways and so the resale value wasn't really going to be there. Plus in all honesty the car I really wanted for a track car isn't here yet.

Till then this is what I went with. However... when the STI version of the BRZ is released. That will be track car number 2. That is all the BRZ really needed to be perfect. More torque.. and I'm hoping that with a lower compression engine and an added turbo this would complete the package for the BRZ.
thanks for your honest opinion. The Black and red schemed one always caught my eye. never test drove one
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #34
Franzo

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
One thing that folks should check out if they get the chance is the Abarth's exhaust note. Sounds so sweet.

Yea the exhaust on the abarth sounds very similar to the srt-4. The dodge dart with the 1.4 turbo has a nice sound to it also. You don't expect such a deep burble to come from such a small car and engine.
Franzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #35
Sully

Drives: In the market for something fun
I don't know if I'd buy an abarth...but I was awfully tempted by the sale they had a while back for the base 500's, for 199/month.
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #36
skye67

Drives: 2013 black AT, OFT, 4.65
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRage View Post
Really?
Agree, the Fiat 500 Abarth is a waste. Smoked one last week.
skye67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #37
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Is there a reason to choose the Abarth over a Mini Cooper S other than the exhaust note? I test-drove a MCS a while back and liked it quite a bit.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #38
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
I almost bought one over the brz when the dealer wasn't sure if he could get me one. The exhaust does sound amazing, the only
Thing I wasn't keen on was the twist beam rear suspension, under steer city
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #39
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Is there a reason to choose the Abarth over a Mini Cooper S other than the exhaust note? I test-drove a MCS a while back and liked it quite a bit.
Er, price! Have you priced a comparable Mini? The Abarth is no bargain but it makes the Mini look like the rip off it is.

Both cars make the BRZ look like a bargain, overpriced though it is also.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #40
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
I almost bought one over the brz when the dealer wasn't sure if he could get me one. The exhaust does sound amazing, the only
Thing I wasn't keen on was the twist beam rear suspension, under steer city
Twist beam doesn't cause understeer. It's an integrated roll bar and axle. The VW Rabbit introduced this clever idea. Lots of cars have successfully used it since.

Understeer is inevitable with fwd. period.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suberman For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-25-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #41
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Yes they did have it back in the day but they also has super soft suspension that's one reason they lifted tires.
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #42
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post
Er, price! Have you priced a comparable Mini? The Abarth is no bargain but it makes the Mini look like the rip off it is.

Both cars make the BRZ look like a bargain, overpriced though it is also.
Yeah I saw that it was a few grand cheaper. Was just curious if the Abarth handled better or was faster than a MCS.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote