follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
ogredave

Drives: Sc10n FR-S #0086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I did call around and got lots of numbers. Anyways got 2 local dealerships down to $119/120. Intake for $366ish + tax. They'll get the whole deal and it'll be done at a dealership, I think also recorded to CarFax.

Other than smog shops being stupid and not passing visual / not having a clue what a CARB EO is, I should be good.

*I've had stupid shops reject me even after I gave them time to look up the CARB EO. Then again, it's hard to get a supercharger to pass visual and they'd rather take the easy way out.

Last edited by ogredave; 08-23-2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo
ogredave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #16
PSJohnDoe

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
These intakes are 50 states legal/CARB certified, but don't come with the CARB stickers. You must have the dealer order the sticker separately (the part number for the sticker is in the paperwork that comes with the intake). I recommend retaining the factory intake, some aftermarket parts (like the current Innovate Supercharger) expect you to have the stock intake.
PSJohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
ogredave

Drives: Sc10n FR-S #0086
Thanks, I know .. have to contact the MDC @ Toyota. I'll get on that after I have proof of purchase. I'm assuming they won't issue it unless I have proof.

In regards to the SC that was for a different car, just saying I've had difficulties even with fully street legal stuff that's documented. I fully intend on keeping all stock parts. I've learned that lesson already.
ogredave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #18
SS4goku

Drives: BRZ tS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogredave View Post
Thanks, I know .. have to contact the MDC @ Toyota. I'll get on that after I have proof of purchase. I'm assuming they won't issue it unless I have proof.

In regards to the SC that was for a different car, just saying I've had difficulties even with fully street legal stuff that's documented. I fully intend on keeping all stock parts. I've learned that lesson already.
If you need a carb sticker for the intake let me know and I can help!
SS4goku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SS4goku For This Useful Post:
ogredave (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
Vicious LED
Banned

Drives: Scion FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogredave View Post
I don't know, I don't feel like finding out the hard way. I didn't think they would gouge so badly on a straightforward install. It's not like you have to remove the bumper.

Anyways, warranties and claims are up for debate which there are lots of threads on. I'm still looking for a fair/authorized install.

Besides, I'd like to build a relationship with a dealer so if the TRD blower ever comes out, that's an option for me. I tried that with Scion of Huntington Beach and that was a waste of time. They told me list price of the intake was $510.
Your warranty will NOT be voided by installing that TRD part by yourself. I know from experience...I've installed all of my aftermarket parts by myself/with the help of friends (not by the dealership) and have had 0 issues with my warranty. I have an aftermarket intake, headers, downpipe/midpipe, crank pulley, aftermarket hoses, you name it. They never give me a hard time for anything and my warranty is still in tact

Even worst case scenario, they couldn't "void" your warranty, that dealership could simply just refuse to do the work. See "[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act"]Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]" for more info
Vicious LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #20
NSX2NV

Drives: 2013 Pearl White FRS, 2004 LBBP NSX
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
This is all true. I think the point is you want to know what's a fair price, but everyone says do it yourself. You won't save yourself anything by using the stealership. The fact is legally, the part has to be proven to cause the issue. For example, you put the intake on and left a screw in the filter that got sucked into the motor. When it comes to warranty, the only aspect that should not be touched is the tuning/ecu. That can easily be said to cause the failure. But any bolt on part, like a ridiculously easy intake, won't void crap. If the dealership charged more than 120, I'd walk. Hell, reality is I'd pay no more than $80 for the effort to install this