follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
RallySport Direct

Drives: 2014 Widebody Cosworth FR-S
Thanked 1,198 Times in 554 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsamerican View Post
Im curious to know if the OEM BRZ vents can have the grey plastic sections cut out with an exacto knife and the metal screen glued on in its place. 400 dollars is a good amount of change for two fender vents that look oem except for an emblem and a metal screen.
Thanks for the DIY though.
I would imagine if you were very careful, you could pull it off. Here are some pictures of the stock vents to give you an idea of what you might need to do to get it to work.

Hope this helps
Thanks,
Rick
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RallySport Direct For This Useful Post:
MemphisR (05-02-2017), norsamerican (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #16
RallySport Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 FRS View Post
not to jack up the thread. but nigel sells it for $320 painted on his fb page.
This is a writeup I did to help those who are installing vents, or were curious how to remove the stock vents. I hope it helped a few people

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjknorr View Post
Id be interested if price was more reasonable got my stock spoiler painted for almost half hmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZerk View Post
holy fack 400 bux for an injection molded piece of plastic with some hardware on the back of it....
Yeah they are pricey, but with anything Prova, you do get OEM + quality, unique parts and a certain rareness, as you will not find many people running around with Prova items on their cars.

Thanks for all the input guys!
Rick
Old 04-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #17
RallySport Direct

Figured I would drop by and leave this here

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bdeV3fZ-U8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bdeV3fZ-U8[/ame]

Thanks,
Rick
Old 07-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #18
omegared19

Drives: White 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
So I'm still trying to figure out how to post pix, but I snagged a set of these, and actually cut my fenders as well to make a functional vent. I've noticed a decent drop in over all temp on track days.
omegared19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
rledd

Drives: subaru legacy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Great install thread.

I like how how it's pre-painted, and subtle change (big on stockish look things).

Surprised for that price they couldn't have duplicated the factory mounting points, or have the double sided tape installed, or how you have to stick on the emblem yourself.
rledd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #20
RallySport Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegared19 View Post
So I'm still trying to figure out how to post pix, but I snagged a set of these, and actually cut my fenders as well to make a functional vent. I've noticed a decent drop in over all temp on track days.

You can upload them to a free hosting site like Photobucket, smugmug etc.. and then copy the .jpg link over here between 2 IMG tags so it will look like this: [IMG] PictureURL.JPG [/IMG]

I would love to see pictures of the mods you did to make them functional, that is super cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rledd View Post
Great install thread.

I like how how it's pre-painted, and subtle change (big on stockish look things).

Surprised for that price they couldn't have duplicated the factory mounting points, or have the double sided tape installed, or how you have to stick on the emblem yourself.

Yeah they look amazing, and fit very well. I also wished they had replicated the OEM mounting, and they did to a degree, just with studs and nuts and not plastic clips. Also the OEM uses some double sided tape, but not as much as these Prova's, still very impressed with fit and finish

Thanks,
Rick
Old 07-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #21
omegared19

Garage

Since I only needed the two original holes for the posts on the Prova vents, I used a thin blue painters tape, and just kept going trial-and-error of placing the tape right where I needed it by placing the vents in place, and looking through the mesh. I also used the old holes as guides to create a nice line for my tape. Then I used cutting discs and a Dremmel. I realize there are better tools that could be used, but it's what I've got, and it worked.

Last edited by omegared19; 07-07-2013 at 02:21 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omegared19 For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (03-02-2015), mike_ekim1024 (12-10-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #22
RallySport Direct

Quote:

Since I only needed the two original holes for the posts on the Prova vents, I used a thin blue painters tape, and just kept going trial-and-error of placing the tape right where I needed it by placing the vents in place, and looking through the mesh. I also used the old holes as guides to create a nice line for my tape. Then I used cutting discs and a Dremmel. I realize there are better tools that could be used, but it's what I've got, and it worked.
Wow, good work! You are a brave man for cutting into your car, but much respect for you doing something functional! You will have to let us know if you notice any difference.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 07-10-2013, 03:10 AM   #23
omegared19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySport Direct View Post
Wow, good work! You are a brave man for cutting into your car, but much respect for you doing something functional! You will have to let us know if you notice any difference.

Thanks,
Rick
On track/auto-x days, I noticed about a 10 degree engine temp drop. I kept testing it, and it varies based on ambient temp, but cold foggy days, about a 8 degree drop. Hot, track days about a 11-13 degree drop
The Following User Says Thank You to omegared19 For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (03-02-2015)
Old 07-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #24
RallySport Direct

Quote:
On track/auto-x days, I noticed about a 10 degree engine temp drop. I kept testing it, and it varies based on ambient temp, but cold foggy days, about a 8 degree drop. Hot, track days about a 11-13 degree drop
Awesome, that is quite a bit! Glad to see that worked for you, very cool

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #25
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
I too modified the fender to make this functional. Overall impression is that the quality of the piece is good. Fitment is good, but could be just slightly better (tends to stick out a bit near the door). It's quite a bit 'whiter' than the rest of the car and has quite a bit less yellow in the paint, so the match isn't perfect. Overall I'm fairly happy. Painted the mesh black as well.

Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #26
RallySport Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
I too modified the fender to make this functional. Overall impression is that the quality of the piece is good. Fitment is good, but could be just slightly better (tends to stick out a bit near the door). It's quite a bit 'whiter' than the rest of the car and has quite a bit less yellow in the paint, so the match isn't perfect. Overall I'm fairly happy. Painted the mesh black as well.

Looks good, I know in certain light ours does look a bit more white, I think it has to do with the plastic part compared to the metal on the fender and door, but in sunlight it blends in really well.

Thanks for your post

Rick
Old 08-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #27
omegared19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
I've been discussing with a fellow NorCal owner to potentially get these and anodize the metal. It's subtle but clean.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #28
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
I've been discussing with a fellow NorCal owner to potentially get these and anodize the metal. It's subtle but clean.
Silver wasn't for me. It's simple mesh that is held in with one screw, so you're probably better off buying similar mesh that is already anodized.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gen For This Useful Post:
omegared19 (08-09-2013)