follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 06-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #29
thorlius
Canadian

Drives: Frieda: Firestorm/MT (11/28/2012)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMPB View Post
I took some highway design courses in University. No highway is designed for more than 130km/h iirc. Those designs apply to the bends and the sight distances. Of course, those designs are meant to be safe for all the vehicles on the roads...
I've read that as well, but is that not also based on the capabilities of the average (to below-average) vehicle? Or even the average vehicle from when those highways were designed? The 401 was opened in 1952. Most of the 400-series roads have been open since the 70's.

Other than the light cars in the 80s when there were no safety standards, cars before that were boats, and nowadays on average handle, accelerate, and stop far faster than anything before used to. The people (and volume) - well, that's another story.
thorlius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #30
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR 86 View Post
A lot of professional racing drivers, especially in rallying, left foot brake with manual transmissions. We're talking about driving at speed in this thread, not braking for stop signs.
Oh yeah, I hear you. If I was a professional driver I'm sure I would retrain myself to get used to it. But I doubt the average Joe driving 200+ in his vehicle would be a left foot braker. I pity the foo who can't stop in time when another vehicle pulls in front or an animal or some other road hazard pops out in front. As much fun as it would be, I'll stick to 130-140... I mean... The speed limit. Wink wink!
Enemies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #31
Apoc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbrown View Post
How many on here have not had the car to at least 160km/h ? That's classified as reckless driving in Ontario. Then you can judge others.
I have to reach at least 88 mph for my flux capacitors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Apoc For This Useful Post:
Pbrown (06-25-2013)