follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-12-2016, 12:54 AM   #1
ArtisticMaru

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nvidia catless resonated or non resonated front pipe (q300 owners)

Hey guys, I recently just got a q300 and am having trouble deciding weather or not to buy the resonated or non resonated version of the Invidia front pipe. I know with the q300 changing the front pipe makes a really big difference but I am scared that the non resonated version will drone. Can anyone with either setup please chime in on how loud the setup is or if there is any drone? Thanks!
ArtisticMaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:04 AM   #2
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtisticMaru View Post
Hey guys, I recently just got a q300 and am having trouble deciding weather or not to buy the resonated or non resonated version of the Invidia front pipe. I know with the q300 changing the front pipe makes a really big difference but I am scared that the non resonated version will drone. Can anyone with either setup please chime in on how loud the setup is or if there is any drone? Thanks!

You've kind of already answered your question, get the Invidia resonated front pipe.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:54 AM   #3
megamarines

Drives: 2015 FR-S RS 1.0
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to megamarines
I went from running the Revworks UEL, Invidia OP, Resonated Front Pipe, and N1 to the same header and OP, but unresonated OP and Q300. There no drone whatsoever, but it is VERY raspy.

It became irritating enough to the point of where I went to a muffler shop to have a custom resonator attached to the catback portion, since the only resonated options were the Invidia Resonated Front Pipe (which is far too quiet and smacks everything you drive over) or some other brand with LARGE canisters. If you get a high flow or non-baffled resonator added to the catless option it keeps the comfortable and smooth volume without the rasp, for a really good price.
megamarines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #4
thriller

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited Pure Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm running the Invidia resonated (catless) front pipe, Q300, Invidia overpipe, and FT86 Speedfactory catted UEL header and the sound is great. Nice low-pitched rumble, very little drone, and no rasp at all. Definitely a little bit louder than stock (particularly at idle when before the car warms up), but on a long drive it just translates into cranking up the stereo one or two clicks. However, I can't tell you how much the front pipe changed the volume/drone by itself because I added it at the same time as the Q300. FWIW, I did the catted header separately before the Q300 and it didn't increase volume or drone at all. Just added more rumble...

In summary, I would recommend the resonated version.
thriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
kev60625

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have a catted EL header, catless frontpipe, and overpipe that are all by P&L. There is no drone ever with the q300, but cold starts are brutal...not "loud" that would have people think you are annoying (except in tunnels/parking garages when you are going kind of fast), but it's not quiet at all either. I wish I had a resonated front pipe to be honest, I think it would be perfect with that, I just have never owned an aftermarket catback, so you can imagine I hate loud exhausts, but I can live with it.
kev60625 is offline   Reply With Quote