follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 12-18-2015, 07:39 PM   #15
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
What I really want to know is, where the hell is Luke's dialogue/voiceover from Teaser #2 shown at Celebration 2015?

He had zero lines in this. ZERO.
I'm okay with this. Episode 8 should be pretty epic. I like what Rian Johnson's done in the past, so I have pretty high hopes.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #16
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-awesome View Post
I feel like there was too much fan servicing and the story line for this movie is basically like the new hope! I guess Disney wanted to take the 'safe' route and hire JJ Abrams for the job. It really makes you wonder what direction/story ideas that Lucas had for the sequel...since Disney thought it was too 'bold' for the franchise.
Abrams has stated in interviews regarding Starkiller Base that it's the First Order's way of saying "we are better than the Empire, here's what we have built".

As for Lucas... his direction was basically what the EU had, i.e. what was leftover of the Empire ran by Grand Admiral Thrawn and all the other novels and characters spawned.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:46 PM   #17
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Abrams has stated in interviews regarding Starkiller Base that it's the First Order's way of saying "we are better than the Empire, here's what we have built".

As for Lucas... his direction was basically what the EU had, i.e. what was leftover of the Empire ran by Grand Admiral Thrawn and all the other novels and characters spawned.
Abrams sure love his planet destroyers as noted in other star-related movies 👍
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:42 AM   #18
WingZer0

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,416 Times in 866 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Tutin View Post
Loved it also.

Spoilers Below:

It did bother me how fast Rey was able to use her abilities. Like how did she know that she could influence ones mind?

Yeah that bullshit pissed me off, plus they just reused the same plot as episode 4. Just changed names of characters with a few little changes to try and throw people off. There's a pic breaks it down, just don't remember where I saw it
WingZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WingZer0 For This Useful Post:
zeppy (12-30-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #19
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Whats the signifigence of the stick she found at the Destroyer? Was that Mauls old saber? She hung on to that thing tight all thru the movie and right up to the the end where she found her father
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:43 AM   #20
Frs x3
Likes it in the rear

Drives: RS 1.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Saw it last night and was very disappointed. The pacing was very good and consistent but the overall movie felt incomplete. I think my favorite part was when Han dies and Chewbacca becomes enraged leading him to kill a bunch of storm troopers.

Maybe I had too high expectations for this movie but not once did I feel like this was something great but rather good. In fact halfway through was when I realized wow this is it? Smh
Frs x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frs x3 For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (12-21-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #21
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
YAAAAS i can finally click on this thread. Loved it.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #22
Hot-Lava_Dave

Drives: 2016 Hot Lava MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Who do you guys think Snoke is? Is he just a new character or maybe an older pre-existing one. (Darth Plagueis)
Hot-Lava_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #23
Frs x3
Likes it in the rear

Drives: RS 1.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot-Lava_Dave View Post
Who do you guys think Snoke is? Is he just a new character or maybe an older pre-existing one. (Darth Plagueis)
According to the star wars universe, Snoke is suppose to be 1000 years plus. Ancient! I think there has to be a tie in somewhere for him explaining his relationship with Darth Sidious.
Frs x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #24
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
My thoughts / criticisms / spoilers:

I like most of the characters.

Except Kylo Ren, but maybe he'll have a stronger character in the next movie. The scene of him unmasking was easily the worst part of the movie. I think they could have further made fun of his immaturity by making him ashamed of his face and leaving his mask on.

Also the rebel pilot dude that gets shot down magically reappears later in the movie. That is some terrible writing. I think his character boils down to: drink a bunch of coffee and act excited and plucky.

I thought the dialogue / scenes between Rey and Fin were completely stale.

BB8 was my favorite character.

They had wasted potential with the Chrome trooper. The scenes with her could have been ultra cool. The quip by Han Solo was only sorta funny. For all the deus ex machina mechanics the movie provided, they could had a scene for her to escape.

My favorite scene was definitely when the bounty hunters showed up at Han's ship. It shows a different personality to the star wars universe that takes you out of the whole Rebels / Imperial conflict. The ensuing scene had me laughing my ass off with my 4d glasses on in the front row of the theater. Loved that whole part.

I think Rey's character makes sense in how she's a good pilot and a fighter. She woops ass with her dildo staff in the beginning of the movie, most likely has fought some pretty nasty aliens all her life. Her knowledge of ship mechanics comes from ripping apart star destroyers for scrap. Some people have suggested she trained at Skywalker's academy before it was destroyed, and she just doesn't remember. Also, perhaps some transfer of power or knowledge happens when Kylo interrogates Rey (again, worst scene in the movie).

The millennium falcon gets crashed into so much shit, it's pretty hard to explain how Rey didn't absolutely wreck it.

Last edited by radroach; 12-21-2015 at 10:10 AM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #25
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Great movie. It’s getting hard for me to dislike and like it;
Let me explain.

The whole movie felt very, very rushed. They took a really long time to introduced Rey and Fin, etc (which is actually a pro) that they did not spend a lot of time in the last couple of fight scenes. It was very rushed. Such as they spent all this time developing these new characters by the time it came to the end it became like they were running out of time and had to push everything into the last couple of scenes. JJ Abrams had SO MUCH information that he needed to get out that he should have just extended the movie. Also it became a omg look at the resistance, fight, fight, fight now we have to kill this death star like thing exactly like how we killed the death star, fight, fight. OMG r2d2 magically turned back on after the fight was over and of course had the whole map. So they plugged the map and said there Luke, light speed to luke. See luke. Epic staredown. End.

Also, this movie is exactly like Star Wars a new hope...... Where they start out on a desert style planet. She is an orphan. There is a "death star" like destroyer. The "supreme leader" doesn’t get shown at all throughout the movie and is only shown as a hologram. There was a cantina like pub. Killed Han Solo (like how they killed obi-wan)

I also like how they took their time to DEVELOP the new characters. Learning where they came from and help build their characters personality. This is what needed to be done.

I hate to say this but they HAD TO KILL HAN SOLO. It's great for the nostalgic of the old movie to have them in there but in order for these new movies to thrive they HAVE TO MOVE ON WITH THE NEW CHARACTERS. They did a good job with giving the fans the older characters and killing off Han Solo was a start in the right direction. I hate to see Han Solo go as he was my favorite character from the old movies.

This movie also leads to many other things that can be in different movies. Like what Luke can do, where Rey is from, probably have her train with Luke, we never actually Kylo Ren die so we'll see if they bring him back, figuring out fin and what he's all about (maybe he is Mace Windus son or nephew?) meeting the supreme leader and finding out who he actually is. Also developing a love story between Rey and Fin as they did with Han and Leia.

Plus I can see from JJ Abrams perspective where everyone complained that George Lucas didn’t put enough of a plot in and had too much actions so he tried to over compensate and shove a ton into one movie while still keeping the epic fight scenes that make Star Wars, he had a TON of pressure.

OVERALL (TLDR)
I really really liked this movie. JJ abrams did a VERY good job developing the new characters and bringing them into play. He did a good job with the information he wanted to get out and at the same time brought back the nostalgic of the older star wars movies. My gripe is that he had so much pressure and so much information that it seemed that he rushed the end. I would give it a 9 out of 10.

Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
M-17 (12-22-2015), radroach (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #26
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
It's like poetry. It rhymes.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-21-2015), Hot-Lava_Dave (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #27
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
For poetic Star Wars sake, my guesses for next plot line:

- Luke tries to get Kylo Ren/Ben Solo to come back to the light side of the Force; dies in Episode VIII
- Rey defeats Kylo Ren, but in last dying breathe he turns to light in Episode IX and kills Supreme Leader Snoke
- Princess Leia may or may not die in Episode IX
- Rey is a descendant of Skywalker, Kenobi, or Palpatine
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewbot For This Useful Post:
jawn (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 12:17 PM   #28
oso_25
OH HEY NOW!!!!

Drives: 2013 Scion Fr-s Asphalt
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZer0 View Post
Yeah that bullshit pissed me off, plus they just reused the same plot as episode 4. Just changed names of characters with a few little changes to try and throw people off. There's a pic breaks it down, just don't remember where I saw it

Agree I felt the same way watching episode 4 again with just new characters. Plus so random how all of a sudden the Millennium Falcon is in the middle of Junk yard and they just jump in it.

Just from reading a lot of things and how the movie should have been maybe JJ should of went with that direction on this movie. I mean I was scared when he did Star Trek and thought that he was going to mess that up but that movie ended up turning out really good. I felt that there was also to much comedy in this movie I don't remember Star wars being a comedy?
oso_25 is offline   Reply With Quote