follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
Byrd

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm getting a supercharger! Will my car be ready?

Automatic transmission

Conclusion: for cooling with a Jackson racing supercharger I'm going with a stark automatic transmission cooler, Jackson racing oil cooler, catch can and check valve.

Last edited by Byrd; 05-30-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Byrd For This Useful Post:
TheBRZsKnees (01-05-2017)
Old 05-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Get catch cans and oil cooler. If you end up with a lot more power, you might need more tire too and in that case, perhaps more brakes. Suspension mods not required, but are more of a nice to have at this point.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:52 PM   #3
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
I'm going with either the Jackson Racing or Vortech.

-Oil cooler that comes with Supercharger
Neither system comes with an oil cooler. Jackson Racing has an oil cooler that you can purchase separately, if that's what you're referring to.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #4
Byrd

Yea man I meant the Jackson oil cooler
Old 05-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #5
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,600 Times in 2,936 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Get some headers. Maybe some forged internals, better fuel pump, and larger injectors. Custom dyno tune will help, too.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:22 AM   #6
kbogarto

Drives: 2013 BRZ limited WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Go jacksons. Also I think if you run e85 you will probably need bigger injectors.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:21 AM   #7
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Automatic Transmission

I'm going with either the Jackson Racing or Vortech. My goal is not to be the best on the track, but to have a blast without breaking or overheating. I'll make it easy and show you my list of mods; If any of these mods are extras and not really needed for the longevity of my engine please let me know, as well as suggesting other parts.

***Maximum of 6 track days a year + beginner autocross + shit loads of mountain runs***

Currently Own:

-Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley

Not required, and very little will be gained from this.

-Borla catback Exhaust

Not required, and very little will be gained from this.

-Borla fp / op (catless)

You'll likely gain a couple of horsepower from this, but it's not required.

Going to buy:

- Bilstein B14 Coilovers

Cool, but not going to effect the engine

- Flex Fuel Kit

Good idea.

-Stage 1 or 2 Brake package (ft86speedfactory)

Very little will be gained from this, if anything. It might increase brake pedal stiffness, but it wont be noticably more effective on track.

-Catch Can

Good idea.

-Sway Bar

Just one? Which? Increasing just the rear sway bar is not a good idea on this car. On others it certainly is, but not so much here. Try the suspension section for a more detailed explaination.

-Oil cooler that comes with Supercharger

I know you answered this, but just to make sure, there will be an oil cooler for the superchager itself. This does not cool the engine's oil. You'll end up with two oil coolers, but the one for the engine is an additional purchase.

&& get everything ECUTEK tuned of course

I added my .02. Take it for what it's worth.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
LS1M (05-27-2015), Tcoat (05-27-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #8
Tye300

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
You will also need an AT cooler for your transmission. With the added hp, the AT can get pretty hot on the track. Getting a larger radiator will also help cool down the AT and overall temps.
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #9
Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbogarto View Post
Go jacksons. Also I think if you run e85 you will probably need bigger injectors.

Really? I've only heard of needing bigger injectors for turbos
Old 05-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #10
Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye300 View Post
You will also need an AT cooler for your transmission. With the added hp, the AT can get pretty hot on the track. Getting a larger radiator will also help cool down the AT and overall temps.

Do you think a engine oil cooler and mishimoto radiator / hose / caps will be cool enough for the AT?
Old 05-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #11
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you think a engine oil cooler and mishimoto radiator / hose / caps will be cool enough for the AT?
I don't think you know what you're really getting into or for what reason you're putting parts on your car.

For brakes, you're spending too much money for what you're going to do. Get some good pads, stainless steel lines, and fluid, then call it a day. You don't need slotted/drilled rotors.

You need a separate cooler for the transmission. The stock radiator is pretty sufficient for cooling itself.

Injectors are needed if you do run e85, otherwise, they will max out with tuning and you'll leave a chunk of gains on the table.

You'll also want catch cans and a check valve on the PCV side if you're running any kind of boost.

Just simply getting a supercharger and hoping for the best is not the right way to do it. You need the proper supporting mods:

engine oil cooler, catch cans, a really good tune, internals depending on power levels, and be ready to replace an engine if it blows or a transmission if it goes out.

The Jackson kit is really solid for a daily driver and occasional track user. Stays pretty cool, and gives a nice bump in power. If you don't drive like a bat out of hell everywhere, I'm sure your engine can stay pretty reliable with it too, but the tune is the most important part of this along with a proper install.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2016 Camaro SS For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (05-27-2015), Chad86 (06-06-2015), jflogerzi (05-27-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #12
Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 Camaro SS View Post
I don't think you know what you're really getting into or for what reason you're putting parts on your car.

For brakes, you're spending too much money for what you're going to do. Get some good pads, stainless steel lines, and fluid, then call it a day. You don't need slotted/drilled rotors.

You need a separate cooler for the transmission. The stock radiator is pretty sufficient for cooling itself.

Injectors are needed if you do run e85, otherwise, they will max out with tuning and you'll leave a chunk of gains on the table.

You'll also want catch cans and a check valve on the PCV side if you're running any kind of boost.

Just simply getting a supercharger and hoping for the best is not the right way to do it. You need the proper supporting mods:

engine oil cooler, catch cans, a really good tune, internals depending on power levels, and be ready to replace an engine if it blows or a transmission if it goes out.

The Jackson kit is really solid for a daily driver and occasional track user. Stays pretty cool, and gives a nice bump in power. If you don't drive like a bat out of hell everywhere, I'm sure your engine can stay pretty reliable with it too, but the tune is the most important part of this along with a proper install.

Thanks a lot man. I know a little of what I'm getting into but I have only started this project two months ago and it is my first car project. I'm confused on my AT and what I need to do to keep it cool with a Jrsc. I get different answers everywhere I go and everybody I ask....
Old 05-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #13
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks a lot man. I know a little of what I'm getting into but I have only started this project two months ago and it is my first car project. I'm confused on my AT and what I need to do to keep it cool with a Jrsc. I get different answers everywhere I go and everybody I ask....
You'll have four separate puddles of liquid that would all benefit from having their own cooler.

1. The engine coolant, which runs through the car's radiator. The OEM radiator is pretty nice, but you could upgrade if you wanted to. Use Subaru Blue coolant.

2. The engine oil, which doesn't have a cooler normally. This is where a JR, Perrin, or any other oil cooler would be beneficial.

3. The supercharger oil, completely separate from the engine oil. A number of kits don't have supercharger oil coolers; some do. If you're tracking your car, it helps prolong the life of your supercharger.

4. The automatic transmission fluid. Running a supercharged auto on the track is going to put some serious heat into your transmission fluid, beyond the transmission's ability to cool itself. An aftermarket cooler here would be very beneficial.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (06-06-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 10:54 AM   #14
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
GET A 6 SPD! oh...wait never mind I guess I'm in the wrong thread.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote