follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2014, 09:42 PM   #57
MeehowsBRZ
Banned

Drives: BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm here to join the club. Came out of work today to see this. Since my comprehensive deductible is $1,000 it looks like I'm out of some money.

MeehowsBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #58
uEih

Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by username_taken View Post
I just had my windshield replace and it looks to be an aftermarket window.

There's no moulding around the outside edges of the window, and I can clearly see the layers in the glass when looking at it from beside the glass. I can't remember if there was moulding on the outside previously, but I'm sure I couldn't see the layers so obviously.
I'm not sure what you mean by moulding outside, do you mean where it makes the windshield look seamless like other cars? The windshield on the BRZ/FRS doesn't have that and you can stick your finger on the side of the glass if that's what you mean. I noticed it when I got it.

Also I'm so glad I got the windshield/remote/PDR insurance when I bought my car because within 3 months I got a mysterious crack an hour after parking outside. Then about a month ago on the freeway I got a small knick on the windshield, almost another crack but not yet. Seems like it's easily cracked, not sure because the angle or the glass but that's basically twice in a year.
uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #59
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I just got my windshield replaced on Friday due to significant pitting within driver's line of sight. $0 deductible with USAA, and they even managed to get dealer glass too.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #60
Jose_Timberlake

Drives: Scion FRS 2.0 6AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You can add me to the list as well fellas...walked out to my car Monday after work and found a small crack near the top of the windshield (passenger side). It hasn't spread as of now *knocks on wood* and I'm hoping it stays that way. I'll make sure to post a pic soon.
Jose_Timberlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:43 AM   #61
motosteveo

Drives: 2013 WRB 6MT
I shopped around a bit and ended up going with an aftermarket option for about $480 installed. New windshield is holding up well about 10k miles in. I'm typically an OEM-only sort of guy when it comes to repairs, but I really think aftermarket is the way to go here.
motosteveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #62
pheonixone

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just got a quote here in Austin TX from longhorn glass to replace mine for $199.95. Seems too good to be true?
pheonixone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:01 AM   #63
wallace03

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonixone View Post
Just got a quote here in Austin TX from longhorn glass to replace mine for $199.95. Seems too good to be true?
A place in Houston that sealed my chip quoted me $210. Seems like prices have dropped.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:39 AM   #64
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace03 View Post
A place in Houston that sealed my chip quoted me $210. Seems like prices have dropped.
Find out what brand they're using. It's probably Chinese glass, which has more quality control problems. You would be much better off with a reputable brand.

I replaced the $300 glass in my Jeep with $150 glass from the place in the parking lot of the Pull-a-Part, and that worked fine even though they did a sloppy job with the glue. It's kind of a beater so who cares.

I wouldn't do that with my BRZ though. With the size and rake of this windshield, any imperfections in the glass are going to be more noticeable, both from inside and out.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #65
nivek111070

Drives: 2014 GB Scoobie BRZ
408 dollars at safelite
nivek111070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #66
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek111070 View Post
408 dollars at safelite
They quoted me $520, those pricks.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:45 AM   #67
meeskee2

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ Limited, MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
So I just had me windshield replaced by Safelite. I went through my insurance and everything seemed to go great. However when I inspected the job after they left it seems that they just cut out my old windshield and glued the new one on top of the remain edge on the old glass. So basically it looks like I have 2 layers of glass. (I'll post a pic later) Is this common practice? this is my first windshield replacement.

"Some guys think that having a better car makes them better than other guys, and those guys are right." -Top Gear
meeskee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:47 AM   #68
PollosHermanos

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited 6SP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeskee2 View Post
So I just had me windshield replaced by Safelite. I went through my insurance and everything seemed to go great. However when I inspected the job after they left it seems that they just cut out my old windshield and glued the new one on top of the remain edge on the old glass. So basically it looks like I have 2 layers of glass. (I'll post a pic later) Is this common practice? this is my first windshield replacement.
I'm not an autoglass guy but that doesn't seem correct. Every windshield I have had done (two) they have taken the old glass out entirely and there has never been two layers of anything .
1990 Laser RS - Lights go up, lights go down ||1992 MX-6 Coupe - Hah ... no || 2001 Integra GSR - Almost rice. Risotto || 2003 IS300 - A nice car but no fun. || 2011 Stage I GTI - Lots of fun. Would buy another

2014 BRZ - That BRZ. So hot right now.
PollosHermanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:49 AM   #69
mikalem

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I had my car done as well - I'll post pictures later of what the process should look like.
mikalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #70
mikalem

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Okay process for windshield replacement goes roughly like this:

1. Using a tool they run a steel wire through the existing factory seal, between the glass and the frame of the car. Using a suctioned ratcheting system, this cable is pulled along the edge of the windshield to break the seal.

2. Once the factory glass is removed, they use another tool to shave down the factory seal (Third and fourth images) - they leave some of the urethane in place to have the new urethane seal better (urethane to urethane seals better than urethane to metal)

3. The factory molding (the rubber piece of the windshield is applied to the sides and top, and a new bead of urethane is applied to the bottom of the windshield

4. It's placed back - you shouldn't see it stuck up any higher than the original windshield - if it is, something is likely wrong.

I hope this helps! I work for the company but I'm not a windshield tech - I deal with their IT systems.
Attached Images

mikalem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikalem For This Useful Post:
calis5nest (09-11-2014), meeskee2 (07-31-2014), menikmati (11-08-2023), whataboutbob (01-27-2015)