follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
jpit

Old 07-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #477
Travis

Drives: FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrey View Post
That's the fine in California for driving a car with a removed cat.

I believe the maximum fine for any business that willingly modifies a customers road going vehicle by removing their catalytical converter is $100,000 if caught. Swapping for performance cats doesn't count.

Have seen signs to that effect.
That's crazy. I drove a WRX for 3+ years without cats and got pulled over a bunch but they never said anything. One fix it ticket for noise so I just temporarily put the stock muffler on and passed the noise part. How would any shop modify a car if they obeyed that law?
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis For This Useful Post:
staycrushing (07-24-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 AM   #478
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
so the catted namless header would pass, then? It'd probably pass smog, who knows about visual though... you can see the cat right there from the top of the engine bay on the downpipe and on the header.
Honestly with so many different kinds of cars out there, a cop is not going to be able to determine that the nameless catted header is aftermarket. From the pictures I have seen the Nameless unit is very non-descript and sorta looks stock. After it has been on the car and gets heat cycled it should look even more stock.

There are some things you can get away with. You can get away with a lot if your car doesn't look/sound suspicious. A smog ref isn't going to take the time inspecting a cat if the cat and the rest of the car looks basically unmodified and the car passes the sniffer. You could also put the stocker on there for smog days.
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 AM   #479
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Im hoping they come out with this and a intake soon, nameless has been very quiet lately
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:56 AM   #480
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MI Racing View Post
technical engine nerd stuff here
Thanks Micah!
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #481
Jason@Nameless

Drives: '88 BMW 535is Turbo
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabocx View Post
Im hoping they come out with this and a intake soon, nameless has been very quiet lately
Just been busy. We have one of our employees off work for a little while because he is getting married this weekend, another off helping his grandparents with some projects at their home. Just have our nose to the grindstone producing parts.

We did get our FRS in a little while ago and will be digging back into it very soon.

Jason
Jason@Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason@Nameless For This Useful Post:
dabocx (07-26-2012), Dimman (07-31-2012), SkAsphalt (10-04-2012), sparks (07-25-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #482
milenko11

Drives: no
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm anxious to get a nameless exhaust but I also want to wait to see revisions, header options, intake options and what tuning will bring.

The wait is getting harder. Maybe an axel back for now. Hmm
milenko11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #483
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I'm having the same problem and came to the same conclusion.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #484
Jason@Nameless

Drives: '88 BMW 535is Turbo
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Ok so the good news is I got all pissy and railed on overseas manufacturing yesterday in one of the other forum posts, meaning I've been pretty active on here and my brain has been stirring about new product development for the BRZ. We're also getting our plate cleaned off a bit more and have had some specific modification requests to our existing designs for the AxleBack so I'm working on gathering some data for some options on those (high temp powdercoated blacked out axleback, muffled or helmholtz resonated track axleback and a quieter 'gentleman's axleback'). John has been thinking up some interesting ideas for headers and I drove the car again yesterday (yay, we're up to 692mi on our FRS!). So we're ramping back up to attack the development again on the 86 platform.

We also have our next order of chassis brace mounting lugs coming off the CNC lathe tomorrow so we will be able to tear into the front and rear strut bar and fender brace designs very soon. And our rally team finally went home to Melbourne (until they return to run mad as a cut snake at Olympus in September).

Also thinking about doing a discounted group buy for the Axleback. Is this something you think people would bite on? The alternative is to do free shipping or discount powdercoat or discount option set of some sort (see above concepts) on the AxleBack. We'd like to get our process sped up a bit and running a few larger quantities always helps us to dial in our processes. It's good value for us, and would help us to get some more traction here on the forum. Thoughts?

Jason
Jason@Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason@Nameless For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (08-01-2012), SkAsphalt (10-04-2012), Tainen (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #485
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Nameless View Post
Also thinking about doing a discounted group buy for the Axleback. Is this something you think people would bite on? The alternative is to do free shipping or discount powdercoat or discount option set of some sort (see above concepts) on the AxleBack. We'd like to get our process sped up a bit and running a few larger quantities always helps us to dial in our processes. It's good value for us, and would help us to get some more traction here on the forum. Thoughts?

Jason
I'd definitely be interested, especially on a full overpipe-back setup. I'm close to pulling the trigger now, but something like that might push me over the edge
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #486
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Interested in axleback group buy!
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #487
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Personal product request:

1) Axleback with either 8" Nameless Mufflers, (first option)
2) or a suitcase muffler of good quality.

For those with full on catless headers, in order to bring the volume back to stealthish/gentleman levels.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:24 PM   #488
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Nameless View Post
Ok so the good news is I got all pissy and railed on overseas manufacturing yesterday in one of the other forum posts, meaning I've been pretty active on here and my brain has been stirring about new product development for the BRZ. We're also getting our plate cleaned off a bit more and have had some specific modification requests to our existing designs for the AxleBack so I'm working on gathering some data for some options on those (high temp powdercoated blacked out axleback, muffled or helmholtz resonated track axleback and a quieter 'gentleman's axleback'). John has been thinking up some interesting ideas for headers and I drove the car again yesterday (yay, we're up to 692mi on our FRS!). So we're ramping back up to attack the development again on the 86 platform.

We also have our next order of chassis brace mounting lugs coming off the CNC lathe tomorrow so we will be able to tear into the front and rear strut bar and fender brace designs very soon. And our rally team finally went home to Melbourne (until they return to run mad as a cut snake at Olympus in September).

Jason
You missed the super threads.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #489
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
You missed the super threads.
probably a good thing. Would hate for Jason to get banned
Old 07-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #490
trifenix

Drives: Toyota Tacoma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Twin loop axle back?
trifenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21 months no dyno, 22 months no vendor dyno, 22months4rattles&leakssmh, amazing warped qualiy, y u no tag