follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #29
Jackson

Drives: E46 M3 (daily) / EG Civic (track)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
I wasn't trying to offend or anything i for one have never blown a shock due to a lowering spring. I know on lots of forums you will get blasted for putting any drop spring without changing the shocks but its possible he had a bad shock from the start also.
Oh, I didn't take it that way. No worries. I just used your post as an example because I want people to know things like motion ratio, shock limits, etc when using a lowering spring.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #30
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
1.4" drop blowing stock struts is no surprise, especially under heavy use.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #31
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Surprise to me. I ran crappy Skunk2 springs on a Mazda 3 stock struts for 80k miles without a hiccup. It settled to be about a 2.5" drop
Old 08-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #32
alexmotrix
rookie drifter

Drives: 1987 ae86, 1985 celica gts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I will soon report to all of you but I'm at 2000 miles mark with stock springs and my girlfriend told me our Frs now feels like her civic when she had Monroe shocks( no one should ever to this, I got to replace them for KYB shocks 1 year later) so I will see with my dealer what they can do about it before I install my Tein H-TECH... Even the VSC is engaging since the front end is too soft... So don't put the blame on eibach that fast, you should remember this car is a subaru with all the reliability problems that come with it...
alexmotrix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alexmotrix For This Useful Post:
Jackson (08-14-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #33
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
The sportlines were bought off of tirerack.com. They are not knock-offs by any means :p

Unless tirerack sells fakes....
They show them as available next month. As far as I know Sportlines haven't hit the streets yet outside of the prototype car(s?) (Pekingduck, and others?) who is now on coilovers.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #34
Memphis

Drives: Scion FantasticRoad-Sex
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
We put hundreds of miles of testing on all of our spring kits. Not to mention we reverse engineer the factory dampers and we KNOW the limits of what the factory shocks can handle. Eibach springs don't blow shocks, bad road conditions blow shocks.

More details of how the OP's friend "busted" his factory shocks and got a set of Sportline springs before we even manufactured them would be great.
The PROKIT were bought off of Tire Rack. He got them specifically for the FR-S and does have the reciept and pictures of the box as well as picture of the car.

He is sending them to my email and I will post them ASAP.

Shocks are leaking bad.

And now that I think about it, his kit sure as hell sits a lot lower than a Prokit should. Its about where a Sportline kit would sit :p

Last edited by Memphis; 08-14-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Chris said he meant PRO-Kit
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #35
Jackson

Drives: E46 M3 (daily) / EG Civic (track)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The PROKIT were bought off of Tire Rack. He got them specifically for the FR-S and does have the reciept and pictures of the box as well as picture of the car.

He is sending them to my email and I will post them ASAP.

Shocks are leaking bad.

And now that I think about it, his kit sure as hell sits a lot lower than a Prokit should. Its about where a Sportline kit would sit :p
That makes more sense that it's a Pro-Kit and not the Sportline. The Pro-Kit is a 1" drop and our engineers say there is no way that our springs would cause the factory dampers to leak.

What happened? There's a couple of things. I'm by no way discrediting your friend or Toyota technicians. I am simply posting this information for others to see so they do not make a common mistake with installing our spring kit or other spring kits.

We found out the hard way that if you zap off the factory top nut with an impact gun that you can actually spin the shaft internally causing it to click. If you spin the shaft too far this will cause the shaft to come disassembled internally and could, over time, cause the shock to leak. There is a special tool that needs to be used to lock the shaft from spinning when assembling and disassembling the front suspension.

If the special tool was not used and something else was used to hold the shaft, this could cause scoring on the shaft that could damage the internal seals, thus causing the damper to leak.

Has your friend called Eibach directly so our techs can help diagnose what is going?
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jackson For This Useful Post:
03Z33 (08-15-2012), Bristecom (11-04-2012), DAEMANO (07-24-2013), Guff (08-20-2012), ill86 (08-14-2012), Memphis (08-14-2012), ultra (08-15-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #36
Memphis

Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #37
Memphis

Quote:
That makes more sense that it's a Pro-Kit and not the Sportline. The Pro-Kit is a 1" drop and our engineers say there is no way that our springs would cause the factory dampers to leak.

What happened? There's a couple of things. I'm by no way discrediting your friend or Toyota technicians. I am simply posting this information for others to see so they do not make a common mistake with installing our spring kit or other spring kits.

We found out the hard way that if you zap off the factory top nut with an impact gun that you can actually spin the shaft internally causing it to click. If you spin the shaft too far this will cause the shaft to come disassembled internally and could, over time, cause the shock to leak. There is a special tool that needs to be used to lock the shaft from spinning when assembling and disassembling the front suspension.

If the special tool was not used and something else was used to hold the shaft, this could cause scoring on the shaft that could damage the internal seals, thus causing the damper to leak.

Has your friend called Eibach directly so our techs can help diagnose what is going?
Thats a good question I will ask.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #38
Memphis

After reading this to him he thinks thats what happend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Memphis For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-24-2013)
Old 08-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #39
Memphis

How do you change the thread title? :P
Old 08-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #40
Memphis

Quote:

I will say the car does ride a lot rougher with those springs. They are not anywhere near as friendly going over bumps and stuff as the factory ones.

Are the sportlines going to be even rougher?

Or is this again a problem with his shocks?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #41
20valvewynn83

Drives: 2013 FRS/01 Tacoma
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Heh he works for a Toyota dealership in sales. They know what he has done to his car. Depends on how much they like him I guess.
Truthfully Toyota has guidelines for shocks and if a tech replaces them and its not within the guidelines they will charge the dealership. Now unless he has a cool ass manager that doesn't care, then he is good. It has to be leaking all the way down and all around with stains on the shock housing.
20valvewynn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #42
Memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valvewynn83 View Post
Truthfully Toyota has guidelines for shocks and if a tech replaces them and its not within the guidelines they will charge the dealership. Now unless he has a cool ass manager that doesn't care, then he is good. It has to be leaking all the way down and all around with stains on the shock housing.
They are replacing them from what I understand.