follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
wooly35

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S LS3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Installed new Mishimoto CAI

I installed the new Mishimoto CAI this weekend. I figured i would put a couple hundred miles on it before i wrote out a review. It took me about two hours to install it from start to finish. It can be done faster but it was my first time taking off the front bumper... also i didnt lift the car up on jacks.

Here are some pics..

My current set up is Stage 2 E85 EL with nameless axle back 5"track pipe and the CAI. So once i dyno, i really wont have a good way of seeing the gains it gave me... if any. Even though the butt dyno feels like its better, at times.

So once installed, i reflashed the ecu and took it out for a good hour of learning time. Finally got on the throttle after 50 miles and was kind of disappointed. It felt slower. It felt like the motor was working harder to make it through the rpms. I shrugged that run off and tried another at WOT... it felt the same. I did a few more runs before i called it a night, it seemed to pick up a little bit, but not much.

The next day i decided to get some fresh e85 and try it out again. First attempt at WOT was great, it felt like before the CAI only maybe a little more. It felt like it was still working hard to get through the rpms but it had livened up since the night before.

I did notice one draw back after installing the CAI. The throttle has some lag in it from a normal stop. I noticed this instantly backing out of the driveway. It has gotten better after driving it for a couple days but is still there.

I know this post doesnt prove that this CAI makes 10 + hp like the manufacture claims, but i figured i would put out a review on installation and performance. I will be going to the dyno soon, after i get my OFH and will post those results later on.

I do believe nelsmar had won the give away for the new CAI and may have a dyno sometime with just this CAI on a stock car, but i could be wrong.
wooly35 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooly35 For This Useful Post:
Mishimoto (07-22-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
Ernie L

Drives: 2014 BRZ black premium
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I just did the same install. I experienced a serious drop in power (hesitation) at about 4 thousand RPM while accelerating through the gears. It did not worry me much as I have experienced this many times setting up a new carb on bikes and cars. Adjust the accelerator pump..do a plug chop to see if its from to much or to little fuel etc..
of course those days are pretty much over ..for the injected ECu adjustments are needed..our ECU has the capability (within limits) to do so on its own.

I wanted to help the ECU learn the new set up faster than it would under normaly driving conditions..One of the vendors (Grimmspeed?) who does tuning mentioned this is a very fast learning ECU. He was right
I got rid of the hesitation in less than 30 miles ..this intake has some unique sounds..I like it...at a certain rpm it almost HONKS...ha ha ha..
What I did
I found a hill and helped out the ECU learn the new set up.
I went through the gears one at a time (1st-3rd) .. and held the throttle at 500 rpm intervals from 2 grand through 6 grand in for at least 3 minutes in each gear...you would never do this in normal driving of course. I have done some data logging on my bike and this is what's needed to accelerate the ECU adapting to the new setup. You need to do it at 1/4 throttle through full throttle at each of the rpms I mentioned...this is where the hill comes in handy..You can get some serious rpm at the different throttle inputs and still keep the MPH down...for 4th through 6th..your going to need a safe,cop free, low traffic, long stretch of highway. .....or a dyno.
If you don't have a a safe,cop free, low traffic, long stretch of highway..a dyno could be a lot cheaper in the end.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/pictu...pictureid=8014

Last edited by Ernie L; 07-20-2014 at 04:44 PM. Reason: picture
Ernie L is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernie L For This Useful Post:
Lavalover (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
wooly35

It does have a unique sound , especially with the windows down. Sounds way better windows up. ha ha

So i drove it some more this afternoon and the car feels normal again, with maybe a little more power... who knows. I can only imagine. ha
Old 07-20-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Looks
Much cleaner without the silly sound tube, I still haven't figured out why anyone wants them to remain in their engine bay when modding other items to be honest.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly35 View Post
I installed the new Mishimoto CAI this weekend. I figured i would put a couple hundred miles on it before i wrote out a review. It took me about two hours to install it from start to finish. It can be done faster but it was my first time taking off the front bumper... also i didnt lift the car up on jacks.

Here are some pics..

My current set up is Stage 2 E85 EL with nameless axle back 5"track pipe and the CAI. So once i dyno, i really wont have a good way of seeing the gains it gave me... if any. Even though the butt dyno feels like its better, at times.

So once installed, i reflashed the ecu and took it out for a good hour of learning time. Finally got on the throttle after 50 miles and was kind of disappointed. It felt slower. It felt like the motor was working harder to make it through the rpms. I shrugged that run off and tried another at WOT... it felt the same. I did a few more runs before i called it a night, it seemed to pick up a little bit, but not much.

The next day i decided to get some fresh e85 and try it out again. First attempt at WOT was great, it felt like before the CAI only maybe a little more. It felt like it was still working hard to get through the rpms but it had livened up since the night before.

I did notice one draw back after installing the CAI. The throttle has some lag in it from a normal stop. I noticed this instantly backing out of the driveway. It has gotten better after driving it for a couple days but is still there.

I know this post doesnt prove that this CAI makes 10 + hp like the manufacture claims, but i figured i would put out a review on installation and performance. I will be going to the dyno soon, after i get my OFH and will post those results later on.

I do believe nelsmar had won the give away for the new CAI and may have a dyno sometime with just this CAI on a stock car, but i could be wrong.
wooly35, thanks for the post!

We did not notice any issues when testing the intake. The donor vehicle was put back to stock each and every time we pulled it in for testing. If there was a problem with the OEM ECU learning the new parameters, we would have seen it. The donor's was tested at least 10 times over the course of a month. We would be interested in hearing your results once the vehicle is put onto a dyno!

Thanks,
-Pat
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
wooly35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
wooly35, thanks for the post!

We did not notice any issues when testing the intake. The donor vehicle was put back to stock each and every time we pulled it in for testing. If there was a problem with the OEM ECU learning the new parameters, we would have seen it. The donor's was tested at least 10 times over the course of a month. We would be interested in hearing your results once the vehicle is put onto a dyno!

Thanks,
-Pat
No problem guys. Im really not having any issues as of right now. I think my ecu has finally learned and adapted the intake and it feels like it pulls even more after 4k rpms. Ill definatly be going to the dyno soon and will post results.