follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
steezypenguin

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
NorCal Gym Thread

Sup fellow NorCal twin owners!

Since there was a slight interest about what gyms we go to in another thread, I decided that it would be best to create a new thread about gym/health/fitness. We can use this as the official thread for anyone who has diet tips, lifting techniques, special deals pertaining to this topic, eating habits, current goals, progress, supplements, ideas, etc.

I guess I'll start off with myself.

Recently got back into the gym after like a 5 month break in September 2013. (I guess you can consider this as my unintentional "bulking" phase ) First 3 weeks I just ate "clean." Then I decided it was better to count calories and macronutrients to make sure I was on track. And now I had just started Intermittent Fasting. (10-21-13) Definitely "losing all kinds of fat." Anyways, post away!

As always, take care everybody!

-Johnny
steezypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steezypenguin For This Useful Post:
brownboi (10-29-2013), Jolaessss (10-29-2013), VroomVroom86 (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
doggieboy09
S่nior Member

Drives: '22 BRZ |'13 BRZ SSC (formerly)
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Awesome, a gym thread! My body is ready!
doggieboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doggieboy09 For This Useful Post:
steezypenguin (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
sdlynx

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Firestorm
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I can only share what's working for me. I've been eating 90:10 Paleo for the past 6 months and having incredible results.

I also do Crossfit workouts 4-5 days a week. I've been doing Crossfit for about 2 and a half years. I'd like to stop, but honestly, I can't find anything that works quite as well, as quickly. I like the variety of the workouts and the great encouraging people at our local CrossFit gym. The workouts are vicious, but it's like a bad addiction. I know if I stop CrossFit, I'd have to change my eating habits and watch calories more. :-P

I wasn't very fit 4 years ago. I was a very weak 274 lbs. at 5'9". I'm now at 185 lbs. and stronger than I've ever been.

I love hearing people getting into fitness! Whatever works for you, and gets / keeps you fit, DO IT!

sdlynx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sdlynx For This Useful Post:
B2FiNiTY (10-29-2013), BRZkitty (10-30-2013), RC51ed (10-28-2013), steezypenguin (10-28-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
B2FiNiTY
JDM JUNKY

Drives: NSX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Great thread.

currently not gyming it lately but it is in the plans.

Just been eating healthy and staying active. Enough to keep my weight in check but not enough to get fit.
B2FiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
steezypenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlynx View Post
I can only share what's working for me. I've been eating 90:10 Paleo for the past 6 months and having incredible results.

I also do Crossfit workouts 4-5 days a week. I've been doing Crossfit for about 2 and a half years. I'd like to stop, but honestly, I can't find anything that works quite as well, as quickly. I like the variety of the workouts and the great encouraging people at our local CrossFit gym. The workouts are vicious, but it's like a bad addiction. I know if I stop CrossFit, I'd have to change my eating habits and watch calories more. :-P

I wasn't very fit 4 years ago. I was a very weak 274 lbs. at 5'9". I'm now at 185 lbs. and stronger than I've ever been.

I love hearing people getting into fitness! Whatever works for you, and gets / keeps you fit, DO IT!

Hey man, congrats on the weight loss! I personally haven't done any cross fit workouts, but I can tell that it's very intense :-p
Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #6
steezypenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2FiNiTY View Post
Great thread.

currently not gyming it lately but it is in the plans.

Just been eating healthy and staying active. Enough to keep my weight in check but not enough to get fit.
What I've learned is that diet is much more important than the actual workout. Think the ratio is 70% diet, 30% activity? Anyways, good job man! Keep it up
Old 10-29-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlynx View Post

Holy crap Tom. thats crazy.

I used to work out with a trainer about 3-4 years ago and was just under 180 and the strongest I had ever been. Moved off for college for a couple years and then commuting stopped me. We would do some crossfit workouts like Annie (for warm-up), filthy 50, and Murph. It is a sick addiction as I loved feeling that freakin spent. My favorite workout though was Fight Gone Bad by far.

I just started back up with him last week and am looking to drop hopefully back down into the 180-185 range which is about 40 pounds for me right now. I am not great with food habits so it'll be small steps that way. I wasn't eating that great back then but better than I am now by a long shot.

Figure this will be one of the better driver/weight reduction mods. Lol

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
steezypenguin (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 02:29 AM   #8
brownboi

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I used to just go to the gym and just lift for a while but then started on that 531 program. my max's increased pretty steadily and I loved it! couldn't sandbag any day since I was writing it out haha. wanted to cut so I switched to the intermittent fasting and it worked pretty well! got rid of that pouch that was always there. takes a lot of discipline but after around 3 or 4 months I stopped because I hated seeing all my max's drop so much now I'm back to just going to the gym to lift since i've moved back to the bay. Probably going to start 531 again really soon.

btw, can someone explain macronutrients??
brownboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brownboi For This Useful Post:
sdlynx (10-29-2013), steezypenguin (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Ride a bike I'm 5'8 128 pounds

...Can't lift many large things though
Old 10-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
steezypenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownboi View Post
I used to just go to the gym and just lift for a while but then started on that 531 program. my max's increased pretty steadily and I loved it! couldn't sandbag any day since I was writing it out haha. wanted to cut so I switched to the intermittent fasting and it worked pretty well! got rid of that pouch that was always there. takes a lot of discipline but after around 3 or 4 months I stopped because I hated seeing all my max's drop so much now I'm back to just going to the gym to lift since i've moved back to the bay. Probably going to start 531 again really soon.

btw, can someone explain macronutrients??
Good job man! Yeah I know what you mean by max's dropping when you're in that cutting phase, haha. Macro-nutrients are essentially fats, carbs, protein. Pretty much it. What people have been doing is figuring out how much of each they should consume in a day. For example, I consume 60g of fat, 150g of carbs, and 200g of protein on a daily basis. Of course you're not gonna hit these numbers spot on everyday. But somewhere around that range is good enough. You can research more online and find a calculator to figure out what your "macros" would be.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steezypenguin View Post
and 200g of protein
I hope you meant 20g because no matter how much you work out your body can only metabolize like 1/5th of that and the excess be peed out. Superfluous amounts of protein will also decay your kidneys over time...

*unless you are a committed body builder weighing over 200 lbs.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
mou
:)

Drives: 99 impreza,13 brz, 22 maverick
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
i started working out 3 months ago. I'm 5'11, started at 200lbs and lost 50 lbs after 6 weeks by keeping saturated fats and sodium to a minimum, and cutting out carbs from my diet. After the 10th week, I realized how small I looked and started bulking up since then.
mou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Although I don't look like it, I actually try to hit the gym at least 5x a week. Used to be 310 lbs but have since gotten down to 245 from the past 6 or so years, it was definitely a long term change. Have done the whole range, from working with a trainer to "insanity" at home, even went the pre-prepped meals route (which was kinda nice, no cooking or dishes!)

I don't really attribute the weight loss to any workout or diet in particular, it was more eating right and finding what you like enough that you will stick with it. For me, it was prepping to do a sprint triathlon, so I go swim & spin class during the week, with jogs in between/weekends (I'm still a big guy, so my joints take a beating). Been maintaining 245-250 now for the past year or so, so unfortunately, I think I've plateaued, but on the good side, I have not gained the weight back, so I must be doing something right
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
steezypenguin (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
Antheezy

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My tips are to just keep active in whatever youre doing, with working, or hanging out with friends. Just dont take the lazy way. Smarter choices are always encouraged when eating. You dont have to overanalyze, most smarter decisions can be done on the spot. Exercise atleast 4-5 hours a week if you arent physically active in 2-4 sessions! 2 years ago I was 5'5" 180 lbs and today I stand 5'5 160lbs with more muscle and a lot less fat. I wasn't monitoring anything like crazy and went to the gym on average 2-3x a week.

The hardest part for me was portion control and fighting cravings. I realized first 2 weeks are the hardest because the stomach and mind is adjusting and once you are on a roll its' cake after that.
Antheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antheezy For This Useful Post:
sdlynx (10-29-2013)