follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 03-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
hellyvin

Drives: WRB Brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oil Leak and Dealership Service

Hello NorCal Brz/Frs brothers. Recently I came upon the thread about a common issue involving a small leak of oil behind a plate on the passenger side of the engine bay. The link to thread is below.

Oil Leak Thread

My question is have any of you experienced this and gone about getting it fixed from the dealership or yourself? I have a BRZ at 2,300 miles so I've never taken it in for service yet (I bought the extended maintenance plan with them). Car has a bit of leak as described in above thread. Car was bought from Livermore Subaru which worked well with me for the sales portion. Anyone have any recommendations for a good Subaru dealership for service in the bay? Any part of the bay area is fine.

Any help would be appreciated thank you!
hellyvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
I would take it back to Livermore Subaru. I didn't buy my BRZ there (bought it in CO) but that's where I took it for 2 other warranty fixes - the "crickets chirping" fuel pump replacement and the Navi signal loss update. I'm not sure I have the same oil leak from that plate (if I do it's incredibly small), but if I did that is where I would take my car. They are a small service dept. and they only have one BRZ-certified tech there, but they seem to do a decent job. However I know they have "denied" other warranty issues like water in the taillights for other owners, so I would wait to make sure it is a clear and detectable leak/issue before bringing it in.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMok View Post
I would take it back to Livermore Subaru. I didn't buy my BRZ there (bought it in CO) but that's where I took it for 2 other warranty fixes - the "crickets chirping" fuel pump replacement and the Navi signal loss update. I'm not sure I have the same oil leak from that plate (if I do it's incredibly small), but if I did that is where I would take my car. They are a small service dept. and they only have one BRZ-certified tech there, but they seem to do a decent job. However I know they have "denied" other warranty issues like water in the taillights for other owners, so I would wait to make sure it is a clear and detectable leak/issue before bringing it in.
I was one of those denied at Livermore for the leaky tails but managed to raise enough of a stink to get them swapped. In my humble opinion this particular service team is good with black n white fixes or TSB items, but diagnosis for rattles and tapping noises I've been working to quiet down were not handled to my expectations. Your experience may vary.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
eklipz98

Drives: 2004 Honda S2000 (RIP to my BRZ)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
That's messed up. Our BRZ had the condensation in the tail lights. Never got a chance to get them fixed tho... RIP
Old 03-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
hellyvin

Oh speaking of the tail light condensation, how bad was it for you guys? for me there would be some developing on the edges but nothing too major. not sure if i can swap it out, judging from your guys' experience probably not. anyway thanks for the info on livermore subaru, ill see how it goes.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
hellyvin

Also for my oil leak issue it is not visible if you put your hand at the bottom of the plate you'll feel the oil there. hopefully for you guys its dry down there..
Old 03-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
PMok

Quote:
Originally Posted by vubaru View Post
Hey P I think I remember after a drive you remarked how there's kinda this minor burnt smell coming from your engine bay after a longer drive?

Could be this leak. I have it. It's an easy fix. No sweat!

Just needs more silicone.
Thanks, yeah after you mentioned it, I checked the area... inconclusive. I ran a paper towel around the plate area and just got some black smudges that I think could be random dirt... no fluid/wet oil on the towel. And no oil deposits baking on the overpipe below. I guess I will keep an eye on it though. I plan on mentioning the smell to the dealer on my next oil change which will come up soon...
Old 03-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #8
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
After hearing about the difference in willingness to do warranty work I'm really glad I have a Scion.

I know all the Subi dealers in the South Bay suck balls.

I just went and checked said plate and mine is bone dry, I also have 24K miles.

Well anyway, good luck!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #9
PMok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
After hearing about the difference in willingness to do warranty work I'm really glad I have a Scion.

I know all the Subi dealers in the South Bay suck balls.

I just went and checked said plate and mine is bone dry, I also have 24K miles.

Well anyway, good luck!!!
I am pretty envious of the # of Toyota/Scion dealers you can choose from in the Bay Area... not nearly as many Subaru dealers around me. And at least as far as sales goes, a lot of them are scumbags. Also what's up with Service and Parts at the dealership not being open on weekends?? LOL if it becomes a big issue maybe I will swap out my badges to Toyota and start taking it to Toyota for service haha.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:33 AM   #10
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I am pretty envious of the # of Toyota/Scion dealers you can choose from in the Bay Area... not nearly as many Subaru dealers around me. And at least as far as sales goes, a lot of them are scumbags. Also what's up with Service and Parts at the dealership not being open on weekends?? LOL if it becomes a big issue maybe I will swap out my badges to Toyota and start taking it to Toyota for service haha.
LOL! I've only dropped my car off for service on Saturday or Sunday.