follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 09-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
philstar

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Drift Day 101, 10/7/12, Alexian Field, Schaumburg

Drift Day 101!!
Get your learn on!

ClubFR is proud to present our first official Drift Day 101, one of many more to come. These events are meant for drivers with all sorts of skill levels, especially first timers. If you have a RWD car and have ever even considered drifting come out and give it a shot. We will have various instructors out helping you get control of your car.

Throughout the day we will be running various courses, simple layouts such as donuts, and figure eights, to J turns and miniature courses. Alexian Field is a fairly large lot with only 1 light pole and is plenty safe to learn without getting caught by police.

I would prefer if some of our advanced guys let the newer guys register first, by advanced I mean if you have been part of a tandem train in the past year.

Register here:
http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...13458&psmode=3

1999 South Springinsguth Road
Schaumburg, IL 60193

Date: Sunday, October 7, 2012
Gates Open: 8:00AM
Driver's Meeting: 9:30AM
Hot Track: 10:00AM-1:00PM & 2:00PM-5:00PM
Break for Lunch: 12:00PM-1:00PM
Hosted by: ClubFR
Pricing (all prices are subject to paypal 3% fee):
Early Registration (Ends October 7)
$140
Late Registration & Day of Registration
$160

Note: Early Registration ends on Monday October 1st.

NO SPECTATORS
NO MEDIA
Before you ask why I will explain. First and foremost go to AutoMass if you want to watch drifting, or check out one of our many other Drift Days. This event is strictly a drivers event, it is meant to better improve driver skill, all the focus will be on instructing and driving. Spectators are just an additional thing to control. And lastly, insurance, in order to keep this cost effective we have it in our insurance that this will be a spectator free event. So sorry, don't even try to come. Either way it will be real boring watching beginners do donuts and figure eights.

There is no additional parking at the stadium, the other lot is a Metra parking lot

DRIVER REQUIREMENTS:
- Car must pass tech (http://clubfr.net/rules-and-regulations/)
- Driver must have helmet, M2000 rated or better. Motorcycle helmets (M rated) can be had cheap, no loaners at this event. If you are in need of one maybe post up, if you are lucky I'll let you use mine.
- Respect the venue
- Ask for help!

STAFFING:
Want to come to a Drift Day, but not ready to drift your car? Staffing is a great way to learn the course and meet new people. Fill out a staffing submission forum on ClubFR’s website if you are interested!
http://www.clubfr.net/staff

LOCAL INFO:
This is right off the Elgin O'hare in Schaumburg, it's in the middle of everywhere.

FOOD:
There are a few restaurants around town. Typical fast food joints.

There is no on-track amenities, no grilling allowed at the lot either.

LOCATION NOTES:
There is little to no parking outside of the lot we are using. As stated earlier there are no spectators allowed. Only authorized members inside the lot will be ClubFR Staff, Instructors, Drivers, and pit crew. No exceptions.

The nearest restroom is at the Metra Station, it is a short walk, or even shorter bike/car ride.

LODGING:
There are quite a few places all over, it's 40 minutes from downtown Chicago, right off a highway in a major city.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
sickmint79

Drives: bmw
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
aight, i'm in. i'll have no idea what i'm doing.
sickmint79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
sickmint79

how much seat time can i expect?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
ill roller

Drives: BRZ/E30/IS300/LS400
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Well, you have all day, and there'll probably be about 30 drivers at most. The course will probably take about 30 seconds per car, so maybe 4 runs an hour, with 6 hours of track time thats 24 runs. I feel like that's a very conservative number based on my previous experience at drift days, but regardless I can guarantee you'll have fun, and not feel like you didn't get enough runs in... This isn't an auto-x where you stand around all day to get 2 total minutes of seat time.

I'll be out there instructing, should be a good time!
ill roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Touge Factory

Drives: ZN6
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Touge Factory
Touge Factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
philstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickmint79 View Post
how much seat time can i expect?
At the first one, it was only a half day, yet there were times where no one was out there at all. Thats how much time there was. Multiple layouts will be run at the same time in the big lot, and later on in the day, they may run a bigger layout.

Last time there was an area for circles, an area for figure 8's, and an area to practice a second gear corner so multiple people out there at the same time in their respective areas. Then later on in the day they turned the entire area into a big second gear figure 8 layout. That was the first time trying to do a 101 and it was a learning experience for ClubFR. Everyone was extremely pleased with the amount of time and help they got so I can only expect this one to be that much better! =)

With an entire day this time, i hear they may also have an area to practice J-turns too, and considering how well people progressed at the first one with all the one on one instruction, I believe an actual course layout will be introduced later on in the day to practice initiation, how to link corners, etc. etc.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
sickmint79

is this flicking and gassing it or e-brakes or all sorts? how bad will this trash my tires? i'm just looking to get more comfortable with car control. there is a gingerman event the following week, wondering if these tires will still be good for it or if i should move my spring wheel plans closer to now!
Old 09-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
ill roller

Drives: BRZ/E30/IS300/LS400
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge Factory View Post
ill roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
philstar

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scA88NW4zqg"]Drift 101 - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a video I found online of the first 101 to help give a little idea of how it is.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
SportInjected

Drives: for the sake of driving
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Man, this is really tempting. I'll have to check my schedule for next week.

BTW, from watching the video, I assume a snell 2005+ certified helmet would be required?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
philstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportInjected View Post
Man, this is really tempting. I'll have to check my schedule for next week.

BTW, from watching the video, I assume a snell 2005+ certified helmet would be required?
M2000 or higher is okay for these 101 events =)
Old 10-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
Touge Factory

Drives: ZN6
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Touge Factory
So, who is signed up for this event with a FR-S or BRZ?
Touge Factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
sickmint79

i'm in
Old 10-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philstar View Post
Drift Day 101!!
Get your learn on!

ClubFR is proud to present our first official Drift Day 101, one of many more to come. These events are meant for drivers with all sorts of skill levels, especially first timers. If you have a RWD car and have ever even considered drifting come out and give it a shot. We will have various instructors out helping you get control of your car.

Throughout the day we will be running various courses, simple layouts such as donuts, and figure eights, to J turns and miniature courses. Alexian Field is a fairly large lot with only 1 light pole and is plenty safe to learn without getting caught by police.

I would prefer if some of our advanced guys let the newer guys register first, by advanced I mean if you have been part of a tandem train in the past year.

Register here:
http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...13458&psmode=3

1999 South Springinsguth Road
Schaumburg, IL 60193

Date: Sunday, October 7, 2012
Gates Open: 8:00AM
Driver's Meeting: 9:30AM
Hot Track: 10:00AM-1:00PM & 2:00PM-5:00PM
Break for Lunch: 12:00PM-1:00PM
Hosted by: ClubFR
Pricing (all prices are subject to paypal 3% fee):
Early Registration (Ends October 7)
$140
Late Registration & Day of Registration
$160

Note: Early Registration ends on Monday October 1st.

NO SPECTATORS
NO MEDIA
Before you ask why I will explain. First and foremost go to AutoMass if you want to watch drifting, or check out one of our many other Drift Days. This event is strictly a drivers event, it is meant to better improve driver skill, all the focus will be on instructing and driving. Spectators are just an additional thing to control. And lastly, insurance, in order to keep this cost effective we have it in our insurance that this will be a spectator free event. So sorry, don't even try to come. Either way it will be real boring watching beginners do donuts and figure eights.

There is no additional parking at the stadium, the other lot is a Metra parking lot

DRIVER REQUIREMENTS:
- Car must pass tech (http://clubfr.net/rules-and-regulations/)
- Driver must have helmet, M2000 rated or better. Motorcycle helmets (M rated) can be had cheap, no loaners at this event. If you are in need of one maybe post up, if you are lucky I'll let you use mine.
- Respect the venue
- Ask for help!

STAFFING:
Want to come to a Drift Day, but not ready to drift your car? Staffing is a great way to learn the course and meet new people. Fill out a staffing submission forum on ClubFR’s website if you are interested!
http://www.clubfr.net/staff

LOCAL INFO:
This is right off the Elgin O'hare in Schaumburg, it's in the middle of everywhere.

FOOD:
There are a few restaurants around town. Typical fast food joints.

There is no on-track amenities, no grilling allowed at the lot either.

LOCATION NOTES:
There is little to no parking outside of the lot we are using. As stated earlier there are no spectators allowed. Only authorized members inside the lot will be ClubFR Staff, Instructors, Drivers, and pit crew. No exceptions.

The nearest restroom is at the Metra Station, it is a short walk, or even shorter bike/car ride.

LODGING:
There are quite a few places all over, it's 40 minutes from downtown Chicago, right off a highway in a major city.
Unfortunately I was busy this week, and didn't get a chance to sign up. When I did get to it, the event was full.

15 of the 30 vehicles are 240sx.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote