follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
MmmDieselFumes

Drives: .
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pre-approved, but should I wait?

Last edited by MmmDieselFumes; 05-20-2019 at 01:41 PM.
MmmDieselFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
iamkyle

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
good choice man!
iamkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmDieselFumes View Post
Well, scratch that. I just bought one! Yee-fracking-haw!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
good choice. waiting is stupid, especially without any confirmed info. just drive the car and enjoy. i would be surprised if the sti was more fun. if its fast that you want, look elsewhere
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Calidrifter
@Executive_chicken

Drives: Firestorm FR-S, Audi A3 E-tron
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Lol, I was going to say wait for the Release Series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
That guy, like me after BBQ Thursdays, is full of shit.
Calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Ocala FR-S

Drives: 2013 FR-S AT Argento
Good for you. I don't think there'll be massive discounts on the 2013 model. The vehicle will be in strong demand for some time.

I also don't expect significant upgrades. From a marketing standpoint, a manufacturer won't significantly change a brand new offering after one year. They know customers either want the excitement of being first when a model is introduced or they want to wait a year so the bugs are worked out. You don't see anyone selling cars that change alot every year. Design costs would be too expensive, customers would hold off on purchases and everyone would be disappointed with the immediate obsolescence.

It'll be hard for this car to get much better anytime soon, if it ever does. Enjoy.
Ocala FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ocala FR-S For This Useful Post:
MmmDieselFumes (01-20-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
marky

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS #54
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
just grab one if you wait for something new another new one will come again and again and again... enjoy life now
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #7
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Pros and cons both ways - the chief engineer on the Toyota side has already indicated that they are following the non-traditional Nissan GTR tactic of adding tweaks every year rather than waiting for a mid-cycle refresh, so it remains to be seen what you miss not waiting a few more months for a MY 2014. At least the initial production run bugs should be eliminated by now. Enjoy!
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sport-Tech For This Useful Post:
FRSupra (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 02:41 AM   #8
dun3

Drives: 2013 Ultra Marine Blue FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, scratch that. I just bought one! Yee-fracking-haw!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
nice
dun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
why did you buy an fr-s? You didn't have a toyota before and mentioned you were hoping for the sti trim on the subaru... Drolling since mid 2012? did you even know about this car before you saw it all through the magazines?
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
What clinched it? Just seeing how gorgeous it is? Or did you go for a test drive and was hooked?
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Garage
Man, i couldn't pay off a car and then jump right back to making car payments again. I'm bat-**** crazy about the twins,too; but i just don't think i could do that.

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:15 AM   #12
M1schiev0us

Drives: '06 IS350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Haha, great story, and congrats on the new car!

I recently went through much the same experience however I had the advantage(lack of foresight) of not going in with a pre-approved loan. Even then, the moment I came back from the test drive I had to use every ounce of willpower I could muster to not just pull the trigger on a Firestorm M/T. I'm still battling with myself daily to not just buy one, but I really do need to wait a bit and get a better picture of what my finances will look like for the rest of the year.

Coming here every day is not helping my resolve AT ALL!!
M1schiev0us is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M1schiev0us For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2013, 03:44 AM   #13
M1schiev0us

Drives: '06 IS350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe try picking up a new hobby to keep your mind off the car. Take up hunting, feed the hungry, pick up crocheting, solve world hunger, you know, something easier than saying no to the twins.
Haha, well that's part of the problem; I have entirely too many other hobbies/interests that are sucking up my extra cash.

I'm pretty determined to figure out what I don't really need and finally driving one of these home though
M1schiev0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I've had Yotas before, in fact, I've probably owned more than most people have a right to. I'm only 25, and I've owned 11 different yoters already, albeit they were all 84-89 pickups, 4runners, and one 01 Tacoma (used to build rockcrawlers, mud trucks, etc). And I didn't see it in a magazine. I've always been fascinated with AWD (ralley'ing being a natural tangent to truck related off-roading), and remember just checking out Subaru's website to see what WRX's were going for, when I saw that they were soon to be releasing the BRZ. Did a bit of research, found out that the FR-S would be an offering from from Scion for a decent price. I saw my first BRZ soon after that, and have been trying to keep myself from making an impulse buy since lol.

As far as the STI comment, I meant that even if they (subaru) release an STI variant in the near future, I couldn't have seen myself springing for one, mainly due to the price increase, for the same reason I wouldn't want to pay for a WRX STI (as much as I might like one) over a non-STI WRX.

Funny story actually. Got bitten by the bug again real bad the other night when I didn't have anything to do, and did a real in-depth comparison on why it would be prudent to keep my current car (cost wise) over getting a new car, in an effort to keep rational thought in my head rather than getting something based purely on want instead of need. I even posted my analysis on facebook, thinking that if I showed all my friends what a prudent forward-thinking individual I am, it would help me keep the urge at bay. Hah!

Well... Stupid me, the next morning I accidentally called my bank to see what I could get approved for, what rates I'd get, and what my payment would be, only to have my wonderful bank call me back 15 minutes later (they're a tiny bank, only for the employees of the Valero headquarters) to say that I was indeed approved for 20k at a good interest rate. So that thought stuck in my mind throughout the day.

As luck would have it, I saw this brand new Toyota dealership on the southside of SA out of the corner of my eye while I was driving around for work, and at that very moment I was thinking to myself how crummy it was that my Jetta didn't have built in BT capability in the radio (seeing as how my BT headset just died while I was on a phone call). So I reasoned with myself, "Hey, it's 5:00pm, you're technically off work. Might as well see if they have an FR-S in stock. It'd be nice to sit in one and check it out." fully intending that I just wanted to look, not touch, and certainly not buy.

Well, as I walk into the showroom floor, I saw that they just pulled this very FR-S into the showroom off the truck. I think to myself, "It's probably fully-loaded, more expensive than what I want, has a stupid auto tranny, and they're gonna have a 2-3% markup like every other dealership around here was doing lately."

So I walk up, see that it IS fully loaded, although it had the manual tranny that I wanted, but it had many options I didn't necessarily want like the Bespoke/premium sound upgrade, window tinting, extra year of maintenance included (bringing to total to 3-years free maintenance), nitrogen (snake-oil/bullshit) filled tires, a year of hand-detailing car washings included, and some other doo-dads. I figured they're selling it for $30k+ pre-TT&L. Well I sat down in the driver seat, and a salesmen walked up with another kid coming up behind him who looked like he was ready to buy it.

The sales guy asked me if I knew about this car, I laughed and said yes, and he asked me if I wanted to buy it. I pointed to my Jetta (which really was a beautifully kept car in great repair, though I know through KBB that dealerships are only give ~$7k for it, which is BS), and said "Well, if you take my diesel there, and get me this car out the door for not a bloody-red cent over $20k, I'll sign the paperwork right now." Fully expecting him to say no, since I had been planning on using that line as my get-out-of-jail-free card to let me walk away without buying anything, I was a bit surprised when he looked me in the eye and said "We can make that happen". My jaw hit the floor.

15 minutes later, he had it all worked out, was waiting for me to sign the purchase agreement, and I said "Let's go for a test drive first. Put a smile on my face, and if I like it, I'll sign." I had planned on using that chance to reason with myself again on why I didn't NEED the FR-S, but unfortunately/fortunately the angel on my should was suspiciously absent when we pulled it out off the showroom floor and began my test drive.

I don't remember much of what happened after that, other than coming back with a huge smile plastered on my face, and driving off in my new FR-S by 6:30pm.

All in all, I must say I had an incredible experience with that dealership. Gave me a good price on the car, a good price on my trade it, met my terms on what I was willing to pay for it, and was out the door and driving home with all the paperwork completed a mere 1.5 hours after pulling into the parking lot, not really expecting to buy a car.

So, long story short, not really sure what was the deal clincher. I could attribute it all to my Jetta not having BT, a great dealership that met my terms, or just flat out being in love with the car when they finally let me start 'er up and take it for a test drive.

I know man, I went over that a million times in my head. Literally. But I came to the conclusion that:

A.) I can actually afford it, and the majority of my angst could be attributed to my proclivity for frugality.
B.) I make good money, and you can't take it with you when you go.
C.) I was in love with the car, and my expectations were fully justified when I finally put the keys in the ignition.
D.) I'm young, and I'm entitled to at least one "rash" decision for once in my life since I've always played it by the books and done what is smart.
E.) I'd be damned if I let that kid who came in after me have it.

Lol
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

I had similar safety gates and I blew through all of them.

After my first test drive, I know I was hooked. I then brought my wife in - she didn't have any objections.

I actually could fit a car seat in the back and still have a little room for children's legs.

My parents left it up to me (they are usually the voice of reason).

The dealer gave me a good deal for my trade.

And finally, the insurance was actually cheaper than my 2009 Corolla XRS trade in.

I now enjoy driving again.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Demandred7 For This Useful Post: