follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
AEM F/IC 6 for FRS/BRZ/86

https://www.aemelectronics.com/produ...ntroller/fic-6

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or feelings about this hardware? I can get one of these from a friend of mine for free but I've never hard of anyone using one on our platform. I guess for most people, you are farther ahead to get some ECU tuning solution but because I can get one of these for free, just wondering if it's worth my while to be bothered with it. I tried Google but it brings up very limited results of this hardware on our platform and I can only find 2 people mention using it on our cars and they were both having issues getting it to work.

Just looking for some input.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Those piggy back type systems are generally just signal benders, they take in intpits from say maf sensor and crank trigger and alter it slightly to fool ecu into increasing timingg or changing fueling. They were generally for cars where you were unable to flash new settings into ecu.

Woth fladh tuning you can change hundreds of parametrs directly and you not trying to fool the ecu, you changing actual setting

These cars have flashable ecu you much better doing that than using any type of piggy back system.http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106068
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 11:19 PM   #3
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Also except already mentioned more flexibility / safety of tuning right way in tune itself one should also consider who will do the tuning. Most competent pros/shops tuning these cars use some of tune editing/flashing solutions, eg. OFT or Ecutek, almost none - those piggyback ones. Most canned off the shelve tunes are also provided in most cases via those solutions. There is much more DIY tuning nfo & community around too on flashing solutions. So if you want tune by someone with more experience of tuning these cars, that strikes out those piggyback ones too. Desirability of piggyback ecu tuning with unknown quality tuning imho is alongside fuel-magnets / maf sensor fooling mods and such. As in - i wouldn't get one even if for free.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (08-13-2018)