follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2021, 06:11 PM   #1
Grisha

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Front Suspension Clicks - Please help!

Howdy All,

I feel like I'm going insane because I cannot figure out for life the source of the clicking in my Front Left while:
1. Coming to a complete stop;
2. Making a turn/maneuvring into a parking spot at slow speeds.

I was able to replicate the clicking noise while having the suspension loaded, and turning the wheel. Here's the full video:
Timestamps: 1:30 - noise while turning; 2:25 - coming to a complete stop.

Things I've done:
1. Retorqued everything that connects to a coilover to spec - nothing was loose;
2. Replaced old end-links with Whiteline; torqued all nuts & set the preload.
3. Readjusted the preload;
4. Drove around for a week, and retorqued everything again.

A little background:
1. '13 FR-S with 115k miles, DD.
2. TEIN Flex Z coilovers installed @ 85,000.
3. Lowered ~1.5"

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback!
Grisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:31 PM   #2
Grisha

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Update: The clicking issue has been resolved! I got a helper and had him turn the wheel while taking a closer look while under the car. The noise was coming from either the top of the sway bar link or the coilover itself. I disconnected the link and inspected the ball joints; everything seemed to be normal.

Upon further inspection, I found that the lock collar on the coilover wasn't torqued to spec. Per this article -> http://teinusa-blog.com/torque-your-dampers-pt-1/:

Quote:
The torque spec for the Seat Locks is 41.7 +/- 1.8 ft-lb.; The torque for the Lower Bracket Seat Lock differs between Strut and SA (Non-Strut) Dampers.
The torque spec for Strut Types range is from 101.2 to 115.7 (+/- 3.6) ft-lb.
The torque spec for SA Types is 50.7 +/- 1.8 ft-lb.
After re-torquing the collars and smashing my finger, I was able to get rid of the noise. Hopefully, this thread will help someone in the future!
Grisha is offline   Reply With Quote