follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-11-2022, 07:01 PM   #1
CelicaJoe

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Key Fob doesn’t work after windows tinted

I dropped my car off to get the windows retinted finally. Was done around 5pm and the guy left my key fob under a towel next to the car for me to pick up after hours. Went to pick it up, grabbed the key, the door unlocked no problem with the key in my hand and started with the push button start. When I turned the car on my check engine light was suddenly on, wasn’t on before. Got home and checked the code: P0512. Searched around because I was baffled and found that someone had the same, they cleaned the rubber stoppers in the door jams and it worked for them. So I took the rubber stoppers off, cleaned them with rubbing alcohol, put them back on, cleared the code and restarted the car. Started up with no cel.

Fast forward to this morning (next day) and I go to get in my car and the doors aren’t unlocking. It’s early and I’m not thinking and go okay the battery is dead. Jump it with a portable battery, and I get in the car and to start it I have to start it with my key fob against the button. And even after starting it, the key light comes on the dash, so I realize then it’s my fob. Key light disappears and doesn’t show up again, but I can’t start my car without the fob against the button. Figure it’s the battery. Change the battery, doesn’t help. I also realized the red light blinked on the old battery anyway. Disconnected the battery terminal in a last ditch effort, no avail.

Really at a loss, I’m sure I’m just not connecting the pieces but what’s happening. Using my spare fob with a new battery, I have the same issue. Just so confused why the fob worked fine yesterday but now suddenly doesn’t.
CelicaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 12:33 AM   #2
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Garage
It sounds to me like they disconnected the battery or pulled the fuse to keep the windows in place. Check the for blown or wrong amp fuse. Anything else weird like your radio station presets got wiped?
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:19 AM   #3
CelicaJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020BRZtS View Post
It sounds to me like they disconnected the battery or pulled the fuse to keep the windows in place. Check the for blown or wrong amp fuse. Anything else weird like your radio station presets got wiped?
They said they clamped the door jam buttons to keep them in place, that’s all they said they did. Checked the fuse, looked good. Will pick one up later today just in the off chance Im missing something and it’s bad. Nothing else weird so far that I can see.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:23 AM   #4
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i wonder if they screwed up the door sensors... held in place is different than he-man clamping them with the vice grips of death...
Old 02-12-2022, 11:49 AM   #5
CelicaJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i wonder if they screwed up the door sensors... held in place is different than he-man clamping them with the vice grips of death...
They do still work normally it seems, windows adjust when opening and closing doors without hesitation. Remote doesn’t work whether doors are opened or closed. I’m baffled.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:03 PM   #6
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Metallic tint or ceramic?
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 03:44 PM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Try a different new battery in the fob. The "new" batteries for these have around a 50/50 chance of being any good.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:26 PM   #8
CelicaJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Metallic tint or ceramic?
Ceramic
The Following User Says Thank You to CelicaJoe For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 08:27 PM   #9
CelicaJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Try a different new battery in the fob. The "new" batteries for these have around a 50/50 chance of being any good.
Definitely worth a shot, I’ll grab some tomorrow. Went to 5 different stores trying to find it, each had every type except 1632
Old 02-16-2022, 11:47 PM   #10
CelicaJoe

Half update: took it to the dealer and they’re kinda baffled. The remote works sometimes but very rarely. They’re swapping out the ignition switch and seeing if that resolves it. Said if not it’s likely the receiver which they say is very expensive, so fingers crossed it’s not that
Old 02-17-2022, 12:14 AM   #11
2020BRZtS

Garage
There are some components under the rear deck lid related to the receiver. Maybe something under it was disturbed/dislodged during installation.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:26 AM   #12
CelicaJoe

Quote:
There are some components under the rear deck lid related to the receiver. Maybe something under it was disturbed/dislodged during installation.
I only did the side windows and windshield, do you think they’d still potentially mess with that space? I’ll try anything at this point tbh
Old 02-17-2022, 12:43 PM   #13
2020BRZtS

Garage
Probably not unless they leaned on it doing your side window with a tremendous amount of force. When I had mine done the guy awarded the job was the smallest one on the team and he was pretty much an acrobat. I've had the back deck lid off on my Gen 1 and the box is towards the right.

There is a procedure to resync your fob. You may want to try that before throwing random parts at it. I'm assuming it's not covered under warranty given your explanation of the situation.

From my seat reading your issue makes as much sense as your radio stops working after you have a flat tire fixed considering it worked flawlessly before.

I did some digging and found it is a pretty well documented problem with some relatively simple solutions. Mind you I don't think it is a common problem but when it does happen people search for answers.

Finally - you may have paid for ceramic tint. Are you sure you received ceramic tint?
Old 02-17-2022, 10:03 PM   #14
CelicaJoe

Quote:
Probably not unless they leaned on it doing your side window with a tremendous amount of force. When I had mine done the guy awarded the job was the smallest one on the team and he was pretty much an acrobat. I've had the back deck lid off on my Gen 1 and the box is towards the right.

There is a procedure to resync your fob. You may want to try that before throwing random parts at it. I'm assuming it's not covered under warranty given your explanation of the situation.

From my seat reading your issue makes as much sense as your radio stops working after you have a flat tire fixed considering it worked flawlessly before.

I did some digging and found it is a pretty well documented problem with some relatively simple solutions. Mind you I don't think it is a common problem but when it does happen people search for answers.

Finally - you may have paid for ceramic tint. Are you sure you received ceramic tint?
I’ll give them a call tomorrow morning and ask them to resync the remote first and see how that goes. Thank you so much for trying to find solutions, I spent a couple hours looking but nothing I found seemed to help much.

What were some of the simple solutions you found outside of what you’ve listed?

I actually do not, I’ll look into how to tell the difference and take a look at what I have and get back to you. Never would have even guessed that’s something they’d lie about, but I suppose it’s not surprising.