follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2016, 12:33 AM   #1
turtlefeeder

Drives: UltraMFrS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Head unit Standalone navigation?

hey guys,

so I've got a 2014 scion frs for a while now. originally bought it 0 miles stock, base model because.. mod.. lol never thought I'd need some of the stuff. I kind of regret not just buying a monogram version.

OKAY, so that's the story.
NOW, as the title, is there a head unit with stand alone navigation (excluding oem) that will fit our cars perfectly? I've been looking over the forum and there are quite a few that looks very exceptional but they all seem to need their own Internet to run apps like waze along with other stuff. my phone has data plan and navigain but sometime I'd lose GPS and it would lose my currently position as I drive. might be weak signal here and there because of the phone, so I alway have to pull over and wait or ask for direction. with that said pointless to tether my Internet to the head unit.

if anyone can shine some light on this, maybe a LINK to a good looking head unit like the android, joying etc but have stand alone navigation, that would be awesome

RECOMMENDATIONS?

thanks in advance
:thumbs:

Last edited by turtlefeeder; 05-13-2016 at 01:03 AM.
turtlefeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:39 AM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Yes. Lots of them. Crutchfield.com or any store that sells aftermarket head units. Prices start around $400 up to $4000. Depends what bells and whistles you get.
Work on your Google-fu, cause it's weak.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
turtlefeeder (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 01:16 AM   #3
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Pretty happy with my Pioneer head unit. Clean looking install imo.

It has a 7" touch panel and the sat nav is pretty good and always connected unless you drive through an area with loads of tall buildings that would obstruct line of sight to satellites.

It has Apple carplay so you gain access to a second sat nav via your iPhone. The turn by turn and audio guidance is pretty neat off that. I lost the connection though a little while back. Waiting on a new Firmware fix/update from Pioneer. That said I never really used carplay so meh.

The unit supports two video inputs so I got a back up camera installed at the same time. The model is Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB (at least for Australia).

I went with the stock head unit, when buying the car, knowing that it will be upgraded to something much better than an OEM unit. No buttons on the steering wheel kept the complexity of the install down.

MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mim For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 01:16 AM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,954 Times in 16,478 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had a unit like this (older model) put in about 3 years ago by the Geek Squad at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kenwood-...&skuId=3500075

It has worked good.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:23 AM   #5
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefeeder View Post
if anyone can shine some light on this, maybe a LINK to a good looking head unit like the android, joying etc but have stand alone navigation, that would be awesome
If you're using an Android head unit, you can install whatever navigation app you want. Just install one with offline maps, like Sygic. Then you won't need to tether beyond the initial installation and to get periodic updates. There are dozens of navigation apps in the Play store. Read some reviews and pick one.

BTW, if you were losing GPS on your phone, a head unit may lose it also. In my previous job I drove all over Louisiana. When I first moved there, I kept losing GPS on my phone anywhere west of the Mississippi River and thought I just had a shitty handset. I got another phone and continued to lose the signal. When I bought the car, I thought that maybe the GPS antenna on the OEM nav unit would be better, but it also would lose signal. It was just a dead zone in the GPS coverage.

At some point it just started working again in both the car and on my phones. I think maybe one of the satellites had been having issues.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote