follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
lazyluka

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
JDM DC2-R vs 86 comparison

Hey all

Just got back from my dealer after taking some comparison photos of my JDM DC2 Type R and the 86 from North Shore Toyota (NST 86). The NST 86 isn't a TRD 86, but has the TRD body kit, cusco coil-overs, TRD exhaust etc etc..

Both car's are lowered to be usable on the road. The 86 in my opinion could be slightly higher, but it's still very comfy for day to day driving compared to my integra.

Here are some pics comparing the two cars.

(Sorry I couldn't get better pic's I was in a rush so didn't ask the other car to be moved, I just parked next to it and snapped away)

The last photo was taken from my phone when I placed a deposit down to purchase an 86.
Attached Images

lazyluka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lazyluka For This Useful Post:
BobDigi5060 (10-20-2012), itisthumper (10-21-2012), Metabrz (10-20-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
lazyluka

Here is a review I wrote up a few months ago when I test drove the NST 86:
(At the time of writing this review my Integra was not driven for about 2 months so I would love to go back and do a proper back to back comparison)

I always wanted a rwd sports car, I also always wanted to, at least once in my life, buy a brand new car. After reading all the reviews, I thought, well here is a great car that I can actually afford. Sure it won't actually be mine for a while due to a lease, but I can actually get it new.

I drove a stock 86 automatic in Manukau, a stock GT86 flapy paddle automatic with wider tyres and the TRD manual 86 at North Shore Toyota. All the dealers were really friendly but the guys at North Shore Toyota were really encouraging to get mod's done and to have fun with it on the track.

The 86 on stock 16" wheels was a blast. Even in automatic. It had such low levels of grip (unfortunately no LSD) but I found the test drive enjoyable. Took it round to Ardmore and back through some twisty roads.

The GT86 with the flapy paddle's was great fun, and really made me consider purchasing an automatic. I probably would have broken it in a few days though because the auto blips on the auto's are so addictive. I only did a short drive around the shore, but you could feel the extra grip from the better tyres.

The TRD 86 is the best comparison to my DC2-R. I should note that it isn't a proper TRD 86 that they advertise on-line. The North Shore one has the TRD bodykit, and Cusco Adjustable suspension, sway bars, muffler, etc. It also has gripy tyres. They have decided not to fit the massive TRD brakes at this point, but all the other stuff was fitted by them at the dealer. From what I heard the actual TRD's are built in Thames from.

I drove the TRD one to Albany and around some of the twisty roads just outside of Albany. This is where I can truly compare it to the DC2 as it gives a better comparison, it's a closer match to that hardcore Type R.

Steering/Handling:
Ok, my Honda is a FWD with hydraulic steering and some people would even say it is one of the best FWD cars to come out of Japan. The steering on it is heavier and due to FWD I think it also provides more feel. The 86's steering feels lighter and even with the lowered height dint seem as harsh. The tegra jerks the wheels over the bumps, while this felt milder. I can't say I took it to the limit to be able to feel the steering so much, but it was still communicative, it gave me the confidence to push the car further, just like I get in the integra.

It felt soo much smoother than my integra over the bumps. It almost glided over them and I am talking about a lowered car with full coil overs. I think it was the tyres and the suspension, but I just couldn't get the traction light to turn on in sport mode very easily. It just griped and griped and griped. Because it was so smooth and so much grip, it made it a tad boring. Safe but boring. Compared to my car which has 4 cheapo tyres on it, 2 of which are bald, a rock hard suspension, it felt like the limits were way above my car. So when I get my 86 delivered, I will be keeping the stock prius tyres to keep the fun accessible at lower speeds.

Power/Noise:
I am very biased here. While I love the kick in the back turbo cars, I love NA more. For public road driving a 2L NA is enough for me. Yes, more power could be nice when overtaking, but I just don't see the point on the public road. The reason I like my honda so much is because I don't have to worry about speeding to have fun. It has enough power to be fast, but enough to keep me out of trouble with the police. I love being able to floor the throttle and not worry about reaching some crazy speed in a heartbeat. The 86 feels like it has more power. It was definatley easy to speed and I felt I had to really keep my foot back to avoid speeding, but that could also be the fact that I wasn't used to the supercar style speedo (where 50kmh is straight down and 100kmh is still no where near the top).

The honda also keeps be out of trouble by being very very loud, so it makes me really feel like I am going faster than what I am. Because the 86 is a more modern car, and it doesn't have the noise insulation striped out it is quieter. The TRD exhaust and the induction noise generator try to make it loud but it's no where near the level of the integra. This could be the other reason why I found myself approaching the speed limit faster than I would have guessed.

Interior --Added after original post--:
The itnerior to me looks modern compared to the Integra. I like it. Even the fake carbon triangle pattern in the GT86. It's a nice place to sit in, the seats are comfy and well, that's good enough for me.

The Integra is louder, more aggressive, smaller, better looking, more practical, probably quicker (and more economical) and in my opinion more fun on the public road. However, the ride is harsh and noisy all the time because of it. The integra then is like a race car for the road, it's fun because it's noisy and you have to work it, you can't relax so much when driving it as it requires your concentration most of the time.

The 86 is more modern, it feels quieter, it feels better planted as it doesn't bounce around, it's more refined, has a nice interior, cruise control, 7 airbags and all the fancy electronics. The 86 can be made into what my Integra is now, but I actually don't want that every day. I don't want to have to worry about how much throttle I am applying driving to the shops and if the tyres will loose traction and if there is a cop nearby. I like the fact that it's quiet and easy to drive most of the time. And that's the important part for me, most of the time. When I reach that twisty road, or attend a track day in the future, I can turn the electronics off, keep the engine reving and then, in those conditions, it will still be loud, and fun, and feel quick.

Put simply, I can only have one car, a race car for daily driving get's very tiring, with the 86 I can travel in some comfort to Taupo, get there have a blast on the track with the car shouting and then drive back in comfort. Yes it's no BMW, Mercedes or Porche, but it kinda makes me feel like it's trying to do just that without the massive price tag or the crazy amounts of power. It will make a nice daily, while still being fun on the right road. I will miss the Integra, of that I am certain, but I look forward to the 86 teaching me more about car control than the integra could offer. I think it's a car that will make me work for that faster lap time where as in the Integra, it was almost boring driving past most of you. I wouldn't recomend you buy it if you want a fast car, yes you could turbo it, for me it's fine the way it is.

I will probably start up a car journal on GP forums when I find the time. I have got several gray hairs from choosing the colour. Red, blue and silver were straight off the list, black and orange are nice, but in the end it was between the dark gray (think gunmetal gray) or pearl white. In the end I decided to go with pearl white. I could still probably change it today if I act quickly, but the white is something I associate with a race car now and it will make me remember the fun in the integra. It will become a common car, it will become riced, it will be a boy racer car, so why not own it before it get's to that point.

First mods will be tinted windows, front strut bar and I still haven't decided if I want to get coilovers straight from the get go or if I want to drive it on stock suspension for a while. Not sure if the TRD body kit and exhaust are worth it. I think after market exhausts will be way cheaper than the $1900 tag for the TRD muffler. Alloys will be replaced after the stock tyres go bald.

In my opinion, even on stock rims, it doesn't look soooo bad to justify throwing the rims out straight away.
The Following User Says Thank You to lazyluka For This Useful Post:
Metabrz (10-20-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
Metabrz
001 of 012

Drives: MY12 NZDM Subaru BRZ "BRZ001"
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Kia Ora, nice write up. When do you take delivery of your 86? I've a got a SWP BRZ expected from Wingers in late November. We should catch up and 'compare'.

Love the DC2-R, I had a VTiR for 4 years many years ago and 'test drove' quite a few Typre R's but couldn't bring myself to having one as a DD.

Cheers

Stu
Old 10-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
Bounce
Banned

Drives: I
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I still can't stand these pasted on "body kits" it's so bad seeing it overlayed creating more busy lines just a cheap look.

Are there no one piece bodykits yet?
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:16 AM   #5
lazyluka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metabrz View Post
Kia Ora, nice write up. When do you take delivery of your 86? I've a got a SWP BRZ expected from Wingers in late November. We should catch up and 'compare'.

Love the DC2-R, I had a VTiR for 4 years many years ago and 'test drove' quite a few Typre R's but couldn't bring myself to having one as a DD.

Cheers

Stu
My 86 is due for November production. So I probably won't see it until December, or more likely January. I will have the Integra for a few more weeks before I start listing it on line.

I have seen and sat in a BRZ in Japan, but it would be nice to see one in the flesh in NZ. Would be keen for a catch up with anyone else in NZ owning/getting a BRZ or 86.

The Type R is fun and rewarding. It is a bit harsh for DD though, but has thought me lots.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:49 AM   #6
_hollywood

Drives: 97 itr sold
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
iTR never loses!!!
FR-S #56 of 86 Raven MT ***FOR SALE***
_hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
kendalldwhite

Drives: Mint-Tiffany blue FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
nice write up
kendalldwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Even after all these years the Integra still looks fresh. When the cars are sitting side by side like that I tend to like the white of the Integra more. At least in pictures. I am not a fan of the body kits that I have seen for the 86 but I do like the rear duckbill spoiler that TRD has out. Your write up makes me miss my Integra GSR.
lazyluka (10-20-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
lazyluka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Even after all these years the Integra still looks fresh. When the cars are sitting side by side like that I tend to like the white of the Integra more. At least in pictures. I am not a fan of the body kits that I have seen for the 86 but I do like the rear duckbill spoiler that TRD has out. Your write up makes me miss my Integra GSR.
I am having second thoughts every day about selling my Integra.

It's actually a Type RX. I don't think that you ever got that model in the US. Anyway it's one of the last DC2's made, and it comes with factory tinted rear glass (which is darker than legal here in NZ), electric folding mirrors and a few other bits and pieces that the plain JDM ones didn't get. As you can see the car has it's fair share of bruises that have been acquired over the years (I drive my cars hard on the track), but the engine in it is still mint. I doubt the boxer in the 86 will be as good as this engine after 12 years and 130,000 odd km.

Sorry for the large size of the pic, forgot to resize it.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
DuMa

Drives: LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
owning a DC2 is all fun and games until the 3rd time its been broken into or stolen.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #11
frosty86

Drives: '13 FR-S (Whiteout) Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyluka View Post

The Integra is louder, more aggressive, smaller, better looking, more practical, probably quicker (and more economical) and in my opinion more fun on the public road. However, the ride is harsh and noisy all the time because of it. The integra then is like a race car for the road, it's fun because it's noisy and you have to work it, you can't relax so much when driving it as it requires your concentration most of the time.

The 86 is more modern, it feels quieter, it feels better planted as it doesn't bounce around, it's more refined, has a nice interior, cruise control, 7 airbags and all the fancy electronics.
Better looking... 86 with fancy electronics... okay brah, I didn't know I was driving a BMW here.
lmao
frosty86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #12
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
FR-S/GT86/BRZ have different stages of traction control and driver assist. Compared to them the Integra was raw. And they do qualify as fancy electronics even though there are a lot less of them than on most performance cars these days.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:50 AM   #13
Roadliner

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Mate, what a beaut drive you have there with that Jap Spec Type R.
Ild have loved to have one like that myself and not to take anything away from the Type R but if you need more convincing about getting into an 86, would this help?
Look at how the Type R's engine is placed way ahead of the front struts in relation to how much lower and further back the 86's engine is. And this kind of attention to handling from a $30000 modern sports car in 2012? Not gonna happen too often

But again, an apsolute beauty you have there in that type R
Roadliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
lazyluka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadliner View Post
Mate, what a beaut drive you have there with that Jap Spec Type R.
Ild have loved to have one like that myself and not to take anything away from the Type R but if you need more convincing about getting into an 86, would this help?
Look at how the Type R's engine is placed way ahead of the front struts in relation to how much lower and further back the 86's engine is. And this kind of attention to handling from a $30000 modern sports car in 2012? Not gonna happen too often

But again, an apsolute beauty you have there in that type R
Oh believe me I am getting an 86. The 86 is a car that I followed from when it was just a concept on a piece of paper. It perfectly suits what I look for in a car.

But it's going to be hard letting go of the R.