follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-07-2017, 12:53 AM   #1
dinfern22

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S(Halo)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TRD sound changer, just what iv'e been looking for!

Hey guys what up!
I've come across this TRD tube that increases the sound inside the car. This is exactly what I've been looking for because currently I don't want to buy an exhaust or modify anything, but make the car louder making driving more enjoyable, doing downshifting and hard accelerations.

Has anyone used the "RED" TRD tube? How much louder is it inside than the stock tube, is it noticeably louder? How difficult is the installation, is there any installation help, because the one on this forum has broken images and cant see them.
dinfern22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dinfern22 For This Useful Post:
korhun (10-28-2019)
Old 04-07-2017, 04:07 AM   #2
Wes

Drives: JRSC'd Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
you know you can pull out your stock tube, remove the foam inside of it and you can even drill through the mesh if you want to take it one step further and it'll basically be the same as the red

super easy installation. just pull out the tube from engine bay.

im pretty sure there is already a thread on this as well :P
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wes For This Useful Post:
why? (10-28-2019)
Old 04-07-2017, 05:16 AM   #3
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Noticeably, but not too much.
This youtube video might help with how to locate & change it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULUXathnGLM"]ƒˆƒ‚˜–€€TRD ‚‚ƒƒ‰ƒ‚ƒ‚ƒƒ€€…€ - YouTube[/ame]

Don't mind the language, and that it's RHD, (so on passenger side on ours).
Get pliers for ring removal & marker, to ease inserting it with angle to right side. Will ease putting it back.

Pros of soundtube - better then nothing at all, makes it louder on inside but not on outside (for neighbours / cops). It's cheap mod, especially if you mod original. One can also quickly change it, from a bit louder, to stock, to completely close it (using eg. cig lighter plug from glovebox to close soundtube hole inside car)
Cons - artificialness of sound, some don't like, passing more road noise in, wooshing intake sounds. And soundtube deletion can cleanup a lot underbonnet space/add though slight but weight savings. Proper catback exhaust upgrade will do better audible pleasure wise, but will also rise overall loudness outside too .. and will cost much much more.

I don't plan getting catback yet, so am driving with this. Did also experimenting with completely plugging soundtube. It's placebo feeling (soundtube doesn't impact performance in any way. IIRC it's airtight separated in it's construction from intake airflow), but car felt subjectively somewhat dull without this or at least stock soundtube insert, with plugged hole.

Last edited by churchx; 04-07-2017 at 05:27 AM.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
dinfern22 (04-07-2017), Fussy08X (04-21-2019), korhun (10-28-2019), OND (06-28-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
dinfern22

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S(Halo)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
@churchx thanks for the video man!

How long does the installation usually take, could I cause any damage?

Also I don't get why they are marking both the tubes?
dinfern22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #5
churchx

It's simple job, not too long. And some hassle getting ring on. But it is a bit hard to reach down there in cramped space, so time is dependent on your agility
Non available pics aside, i guess textual steps description still should be there in old threads?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
dinfern22 (04-07-2017), korhun (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 08:28 AM   #6
korhun
Database error

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Noticeably, but not too much.
This youtube video might help with how to locate & change it.

Don't mind the language, and that it's RHD, (so on passenger side on ours).
Get pliers for ring removal & marker, to ease inserting it with angle to right side. Will ease putting it back.

Pros of soundtube - better then nothing at all, makes it louder on inside but not on outside (for neighbours / cops). It's cheap mod, especially if you mod original. One can also quickly change it, from a bit louder, to stock, to completely close it (using eg. cig lighter plug from glovebox to close soundtube hole inside car)
Cons - artificialness of sound, some don't like, passing more road noise in, wooshing intake sounds. And soundtube deletion can cleanup a lot underbonnet space/add though slight but weight savings. Proper catback exhaust upgrade will do better audible pleasure wise, but will also rise overall loudness outside too .. and will cost much much more.

I don't plan getting catback yet, so am driving with this. Did also experimenting with completely plugging soundtube. It's placebo feeling (soundtube doesn't impact performance in any way. IIRC it's airtight separated in it's construction from intake airflow), but car felt subjectively somewhat dull without this or at least stock soundtube insert, with plugged hole.
Thank you very much for the info and the video..

Do you know if I can use it on a 2018 BRZ?
korhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:38 AM   #7
churchx

No clue, but 95% guessing that MY2017 still has similar soundtube and probably in similar way it has second ciglighter port in glovebox, thus most probably you can both reuse it's plug/cap to test plugging soundtube off and/or mod stock soundtube, and/or get trd "sound-changer". Just check yourself glovebox for "free soundtube plug", passenger legroom if you see soundtube port in cabin, and open bonnet if you still see same soundtube there .
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
korhun (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #8
korhun
Database error

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
No clue, but 95% guessing that MY2017 still has similar soundtube and probably in similar way it has second ciglighter port in glovebox, thus most probably you can both reuse it's plug/cap to test plugging soundtube off and/or mod stock soundtube, and/or get trd "sound-changer". Just check yourself glovebox for "free soundtube plug", passenger legroom if you see soundtube port in cabin, and open bonnet if you still see same soundtube there .
Yes there is a soundtube port in the passenger legroom. And I've tried the sound tube off free mod, using the little cap in glovebox. And I hated the soundtube off mod. I want more sound in the cabin, and want that red tube badly. However, it seem it is not possible to buy one in my country.

I've read a comment about it: "The green removes some foam compared to OEM. The Red removes all foam. You can probably get the same sound as the red by just removing the foam from your OEM sound tube."
Can this be true, and would it give harm to the engine if I remove the foam from the stock sound tube?

Last edited by korhun; 10-28-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #9
churchx

Why not possible? Just google by it's part number MS162-18001 or name in one of miriad car shops or ebay or amazon or whatever, and choose where it's price+shipping cheapest. Won't list any links, these are listed in too many places and too lazy to find cheapest among them now. And yes, stock can be modded to be similar to "red" one by removing filling from it. I got trd set, as it was cheap, and in case if i didn't like, easy way to revert. No harm to engine, as it's completely decoupled of it/it's intake. Just less sound insulation in this sound tube noise passing contraption to cabin. AFAIK sound tube is air tight with any air flow blocked somewhere in middle. So you just change connection from that airtight soundtube to cabin. So completely no impact on engine except sound one hears.
korhun (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 09:58 AM   #10
korhun
Database error

@churchx thank you very much, I really appreciate it..

I've read from another forum, the foam in the stock tube can be removed using tweezers, even without removing the pipe.. I'll try that

I'm a very old fashioned buyer, never bought anything online I'm thinking of asking a friend of mine whose an expert on that; however, it is expensive for a simple pipe. I've bought a Logitech g513 keyboard, which is great, for the same price, I think.. First I'll try the tweezers mod
Old 10-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #11
churchx

Don't expect too much of it though. It will be slightly louder when you floor it, and that's it. Cheap enough (or free in way of plugging off or removing foam varieties), but also of little change. If you really are after audial pleasure from better tone and louder engine sounds, catback or axleback that sounds better should be way to go. They cost much much more though.
korhun (11-01-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 12:31 PM   #12
beltax90

Drives: 2010 corolla
Thanked 1,799 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
installation is pretty easy. you just pull the hose that runs from the engine bay (follow it after the intake and into the cabin/firewall) and replace it with a trd tube. plug it back in. just make sure all the markings of the new tube line up with the hose's.

The red one does give you a lot of induction noise over stock (grey) and is only really noticeable when the windows are up. I always drive with the windows down but on the rare occasions that I've got them up, the red sound tube provides a nice airy medium-pitched? whine. I can see why others may not like it as it does make it louder inside the cabin, but I'm all for noise when driving plus the 86 is more of a weekend car for me.

Should also mention I'm on a stock intake but have a blitz drop in performance filter.

only really bought it 'cause i like TRD parts, but would probably be more cost friendly to just remove the filler/foam in the stock grey one to achieve the same sound.

But it's cool to have a choice between driving with the windows down in awesome weather listening to the exhaust and driving with the windows up on a cold rainy day listening to the intake with the trd tube.
beltax90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beltax90 For This Useful Post:
korhun (11-01-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 12:56 PM   #13
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
You could just take along a friend with a loud voice and have them yell car sounds at you....
Still don't get why people want to make a car that's already kind of loud louder. Almost everyone except those unfortunates who are totally deaf can hear loud sounds. The ability to hear soft beautiful things and detail disappears with age, usually, and exposure to loud sounds always. Hearing loss is permanent. Love your ears... they are miracles.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #14
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
You could just take along a friend with a loud voice and have them yell car sounds at you....
Still don't get why people want to make a car that's already kind of loud louder. Almost everyone except those unfortunates who are totally deaf can hear loud sounds. The ability to hear soft beautiful things and detail disappears with age, usually, and exposure to loud sounds always. Hearing loss is permanent. Love your ears... they are miracles.
It's no use. Whenever I see someone say they want more volume in their car they are always young If I could make my BRZ as quiet as a Lexus I would be in heaven. My first act when I pulled the car in the garage the first time was to remove all the sound tube BS and plug the hole in the firewall.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
xdavidx (10-28-2019)