follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
Suddenly...

Drives: 2013 High AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Possibilities

Hello all

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post to the local guys. I am the proud owner of a red 86 AT high. I have not had the car for a long period of time (~6000km). I know we are pretty limited in terms of FI in S.A (RGM being the only guys I know of selling the Vortech kit) but I would like to ask for any opinions anyone may have.

I love this car. I really do. I have read a few of the posts on "race me" and I really couldn't agree more with the feeling of every guy with a golof wanting to have a go from the light. Now I know that is not where this car comes alive, and up until now I have been happy with that. Now on the other hand, I'm looking into changing that.

I would really like to go F.I with the car to give it the performance it deserves as well as I would like to be able to take on (and take down if possible) a buddy of mine who owns a Volvo c30 T5 R Design. I realize the RGM kit is good, and the numbers are good, but I really would like something a bit more "mean".

I drive my car every day and right now it is my only means of transport so obviously reliability and warranty have been the main things holding me back from doing something stupid thus far.

Now that I have a background, I want to give my objectives if I do decide to do this. I know the RGM car puts out 220kW but from what I can see that is flywheel. My goal is 300rwhp as the guys in the States are getting. So this translates to ~220kW at the wheels. I have been looking as the various kits available and have not quite made a decision yet but my power goal is not negotiable.

On that note, I am not the kind of person who will feel the need to keep adding more power once I have reached this power level. No no, I am extremely confident that with this amount of grunt I will have a car that will be an absolute rocket on the straight as well as have the kind of power I need to be able to have some (more) serious fun around the bends.

After all of this the questions I have are the following:

1: Does anyone know of a kit that would make this power that they would themselves buy?
2: Most of the offshore kits are ecutek tuned so are there reliable tuners in the Gauteng area?
3: Does this power level seem unreasonable to ask of (If yes, why in your opinion?)
4: I am planning on doing all supporting modifications first, so BBK, a nice fat set of wheels and tyres (255/35/18 on 9J wheels all round) and a set of coilovers to boot. With these mods (as well as hopefully a SC or TC and supporting mods near the end) Do the local guys here think this vehicle would be worthwhile (The budget on the build is around 150k in my mind right now)

I know this is a lot of questions for a new member but I need to have as much input as possible before doing anything I may regret later. I also realize that this may sound like a bit of a stupid thing to do to this car but I tend to think this car could be a hell of a lot more (I.E the perfect vehicle) with all the above mentioned bits. I also know that with this kind of budget other second hand cars are on the cards but love at first site is why I got the car in the first place so I guess if I go forward with this will a be a labor of love and nothing more. Any helpful comments will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and it's nice to be a part of this community after a long time lurking.

P.S here is a pic of the car (I know it may not be relevant but hey I need to show her off to people who will appreciate it)
Attached Images

Suddenly... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:16 AM   #2
Moe

Drives: Lexus IS250, Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Welcome dude and awesome choice in colour

The other locally available alternative to Vortech is Sprintex (available through RMS Innovation locally). Have a look here for some comparative result between the systems: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59710

I've met owners of both types of systems/installs and they were all happy with their setup, on either. Haven't driven a supercharged one myself yet though, as I'm afraid of the temptation...

I'm sure all the guys will be at the next track day in Zwartkops later this month. For a suitable bribe they may give you a ride in their cars so you can get a feel for both the suspension options and the supercharger kits
Old 05-01-2014, 02:54 AM   #3
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome, and enjoy your build!!

You know what you're looking for, and have obviously done substantial research, so my only comment is that I'm not 100% sure that "300whp", "reliable" and "daily driver" are words that go together in the same sentence...
It sounds like an exciting project though!

I agree with Moe - the track day at Zwartkops on 25th May could be a useful source of information/opinion for you.
Hope to see you there.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:31 AM   #4
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
You also have to remember that our fuel is very cr@p compared to what the guys in the US got.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav View Post
You also have to remember that our fuel is very cr@p compared to what the guys in the US got.
No problem, easy fix...
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Hahahaha
Old 05-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
Suddenly...

Drives: 2013 High AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys thanks for the responses. Much appreciated! I will definitely try and get to ZK. I'll bring a bottle of the stuff Fish eagle showed in his pic and maybe that will convince the FI owners to give me a ride (or they will need a ride home).

@sav - I realize our fuel is not great in comparison. One question related to that. The US guys say they have 91 and 93. From what they say 91 is equivalent to our 95. I know our fuel grade is not up there but hopefully I'll be able to get some decent numbers. Fingers crossed.

I'm still stuck between a SC or TC kit. I don't want to start a "SC VS TC" thread as there are thousands on the forum already but I am at a point that I have read almost all of them and still have nothing to base a decision on. My head says SC but my heart says TC. I hope the SC will run cooler and not overheat as I do have a habit of driving in a "spirited" fashion. Any advice from the FI owners here or possibly even @RMSinnovation?

Thanks again guys. Looking forward to getting things in order
Suddenly... is offline   Reply With Quote