follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 01-07-2016, 06:35 AM   #1
rennlistuser3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FR-S/BRZ Vs. 2015 WRX ride quality

Hi guys,

I currently have a 2016 WRX and I'm second guessing my purchase. I drove an FRS before and IMHO it's way more of a driver's car than the WRX I currently have. The thing is, I really need a car with rear seats.

I'm considering selling the WRX and buying a second hand FRS/BRZ along with a daily driver like say an Accord or the new 2016 Civic. I know, owning two cars is a pain but I am considering it.

Only thing is, roads are pretty bad where I am and the WRX is barely tolerable. It bounces a lot on highways to an annoying level. It never seems to settle. It's just a harsh ride for me. This is not the STi version which is even harsher.

When I tested the FRS I didn't have the chance to go through bad pavement to test the ride quality. I know some of the members here have both the twins and the 2015 WRX. Can you shine some light on how harsh the twins ride in comparison to the WRX? I don't think I can handle anything harsher than the WRX. I guess I'm getting too old by this stage.

Any general advice or comment is much appreciated but please no reference to the old (Pre 2015) WRX. The 2015 WRX is a totally different machine.
rennlistuser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Um they are loud on any road because they sit just about on the ground. They are rough on nasty roads like you have, very rough. If you want back seats, they really don't have one. They shouldn't have even came with back seats in the first place but probably for ins. purposes. For as low as it sits (to me its pretty low) its not that harsh. I think you will miss the bottom end power because torque is a problem in these cars. Up top they run well, down low they could use more torque, but im comming out of a Mustang GT LOL, its was a torque monster. And honestsly its not that bad given the weight of the car. I can get to 60 pretty quick in my manual transmission

Don't know how old you are but I' m old and I love this little car. It's a breath of fresh air and just makes me alive to drive it. To put it bluntly this car is FUN, just plain FUN.

Ive always thought of WRXs being rally cars. I use to love watching rally on cable and they always did well.
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichardsFRS For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (01-07-2016), xFury (01-11-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 07:29 AM   #3
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
The new WRX has a better ride. Just saying, the seats are cushier, it is farther off the ground, and the suspension is softer.

You can't have "driver's car" without some trade offs. The BRZ is stiff and the seats have little cushioning.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 07:30 AM   #4
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsFRS View Post
I think you will miss the bottom end power because torque is a problem in these cars. Up top they run well, down low they could use more torque, but im comming out of a Mustang GT LOL, its was a torque monster. And honestsly its not that bad given the weight of the car. I can get to 60 pretty quick in my manual transmission
I won't miss the low end torque because it comes with the penalty of a non linear gas pedal. This is my first FI car ever and if I have my way, it'll be the last. I just absolutely hate FI. I'd rather have a slow car over a fast one with FI.

I use to have a Celica GT (only 140 hp) and I'd prefer that gutless car with linear throttle response than the (stump and wait for it) FI engine I have now. Sports cars should be precision instruments, not truck like.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:10 AM   #5
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I wouldn't call our cars gutless at all. They swing some pretty big balls in their world. Consider the cars that magazines compare them to. I think they've carved out a path for themselves pretty well. I was pretty shocked after test driving mine. If you strap a blower to the cars there's not much more car you'll need. I'd love to get 200 at the wheels without FI
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #6
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 View Post
I won't miss the low end torque because it comes with the penalty of a non linear gas pedal. This is my first FI car ever and if I have my way, it'll be the last. I just absolutely hate FI. I'd rather have a slow car over a fast one with FI.

I use to have a Celica GT (only 140 hp) and I'd prefer that gutless car with linear throttle response than the (stump and wait for it) FI engine I have now. Sports cars should be precision instruments, not truck like.
A few things here:

1) both the frs and wrx have a rough ride, the wrx is a little smoother though.

2) the non linear gas pedal has nothing to do with FI but rather the factory tune. Switching to the cobb map or any other will correct this 30% is 100% issue.

3) As for feeling connected, the frs wins hands down. But if you're looking for a better overall package but arguably less of a "toy" car then the wrx is much better in my opinion. If you have the luxury of owning two cars, and or have a lifestyle where the 86 fits in fine then go for it.

4) As stated above you will likely miss the higher tq, I told myself I wouldn't after trading in my EVO 8, but it was only a matter of time before I did.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #7
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
A few things here:

2) the non linear gas pedal has nothing to do with FI but rather the factory tune. Switching to the cobb map or any other will correct this 30% is 100% issue.

3) As for feeling connected, the frs wins hands down. But if you're looking for a better overall package but arguably less of a "toy" car then the wrx is much better in my opinion. If you have the luxury of owning two cars, and or have a lifestyle where the 86 fits in fine then go for it.

4) As stated above you will likely miss the higher tq, I told myself I wouldn't after trading in my EVO 8, but it was only a matter of time before I did.

There is the wait for the boost and the awkward moments of nailing the throttle and nothing happens for a bit and then wooooosh. I really can't see myself controlling the chassis dynamics in a turn using the throttle. It's just impossible to predict what it'll do. I don't know if this is just the WRX turbo behaving like this but I honestly doubt it. I think it's just turbos in general from what I've been reading before owning it.

I guess I will miss the higher tq. I do love how the WRX pulls like a train on highways even at above 70 mph. It makes overtaking as easy as sneezing.

Hmm, this is a tough choice.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Driver mod needed it sounds like. The WRX has one of the quickest spooling turbo setups available. If you take some classes it might help. HPDE is a great tool to learning car control.

Besides, if you are complaining about turbo spool just wait until you experience torque dip, lol.

Keep the WRX or trade it off on something different, you have already stated you need four seats and a supple ride....it really isn't a hard choice at all.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
rennlistuser3

Quote:
A few things here:

Also coming to think about your comment, this would mean the STi is way more tough riding than the FRS, right? the STi is definitely way more rough than the WRX.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #10
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Driver mod needed it sounds like. The WRX has one of the quickest spooling turbo setups available. If you take some classes it might help. HPDE is a great tool to learning car control.

Besides, if you are complaining about turbo spool just wait until you experience torque dip, lol.
If that's a quick spooling turbo, I don't wanna know what a bad one is like.

I did drive a Fiesta ST and I had no complaints with the FI of that car.

But anyway, did you own (or own) a 2015+ WRX? how do you the suspension is softer?
The Following User Says Thank You to rennlistuser3 For This Useful Post:
~el~jefe~ (11-22-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #11
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Nope, never owned one. I have driven one on a longish test drive. Back to back there is no comparison. It is kind of ludicrous to think a two door sports car with obvious niche marketing towards "drivers" would have a softer suspension than a mass market sedan though. At least in this particular instance.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #12
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Switching to the cobb map or any other will correct this 30% is 100% issue.

Maybe it's like Sex Panther

JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeC For This Useful Post:
~el~jefe~ (11-22-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #13
bhmax

Drives: 13 BRZ, 16 FiST, 05 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
A set of Bilstein shocks/struts did wonders for the ride quality of an Evo I had. While I don't think the ride quality of my BRZ is bad, I see some room for improvement and will probably get a set at some point. Always an option if you like a car for every other reason but just need to improve the ride a bit.
bhmax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bhmax For This Useful Post:
Sherb (04-13-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #14
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Nope, never owned one. I have driven one on a longish test drive. Back to back there is no comparison. It is kind of ludicrous to think a two door sports car with obvious niche marketing towards "drivers" would have a softer suspension than a mass market sedan though. At least in this particular instance.
I did hear that the Fiesta ST is harder sprung than the FRS. What I read is that in order to make a sedan handle as good as a coupe you have to make the springs very stiff. I'm not savvy enough on the reason why.

So yeah wouldn't be surprised to hear of the WRX is stiffer than an FRS. It doesn't seem to be from what I'm reading here. But I bet if they wanted to make the WRX corner like the FRS, they would have needed to make the suspension stuffer than the FRS.

My main complaint about the WRX is highway driving. It seems to hop around a lot.

I need to think about this "supple car+FRS Vs. All-in-one WRX" a bit more.