follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2015, 07:45 AM   #1
steveholt

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Side view mirror functions

Hello everyone, question about the side view mirrors on the twins for the USA market...
I used the search function and could only turn up results about people asking about power side folding mirrors...

It is to my understanding that the side view mirrors can be folded but only manually?
Does it matter if the key is on acc or on? Page 68 of the manual is a little confusing when it mentions that the car needs to be in the acc or on position for mirror adjustments, or maybe this is for the power mirror adjustments for either mirror and not for folding?

Also, are these mirrors supposed to fold in one way and not the other? Reason for this question is because recently I was watching a guy work at a detailing place and he folded the mirrors outwards and not inwards, he showed me that the mirrors can fold either way and that it is a common feature for jdm cars.
Is it normal for the mirrors on our cars to be manually folded in both ways? In and out? Or is it meant to fold in only?

P.s - I have the limited trim so I've got the heated side mirrors, is it correct that to turn this function on you simply turn on the rear defroster? The heated side view mirror function is paired to the rear defroster?
Is there a way I can check the function on this? Do the side view mirrors get warm or hot when the heat function is turned on?
If so then the side view mirrors are heated every time the rear defroster is turned on?

Thanks everyone,
steveholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveholt View Post
It is to my understanding that the side view mirrors can be folded but only manually?
Correct.

Quote:
Does it matter if the key is on acc or on? Page 68 of the manual is a little confusing when it mentions that the car needs to be in the acc or on position for mirror adjustments, or maybe this is for the power mirror adjustments for either mirror and not for folding?
It's talking about the power mirrors. You can fold them in regardless of ignition.

Quote:
Also, are these mirrors supposed to fold in one way and not the other?
Not sure. I thought they only folded one way, but I don't know 100%.

Quote:
I have the limited trim so I've got the heated side mirrors, is it correct that to turn this function on you simply turn on the rear defroster? The heated side view mirror function is paired to the rear defroster?
Correct.

Quote:
Is there a way I can check the function on this? Do the side view mirrors get warm or hot when the heat function is turned on?
Yep, you can feel them get a little warm. You could also try spraying a fine mist of water on them and then turn on the heater. The heating element is square-shaped and in the middle of the mirror.

Quote:
If so then the side view mirrors are heated every time the rear defroster is turned on?
Also yes.
kch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
zman

Drives: scion frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
How hard would it be to put a motor in there to make them auto folding mirrors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post

Honestly I don't know, but my gut says "harder and more expensive than it would be worth."
kch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
zman (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
HachiRo

Drives: 2013 White-Out FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post

Seeing as this car would be highly nodded, im sure they chose to make replacing the mirrors less trouble-some and have less parts to it.
zman (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #6
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
There is fittable auto-fold module for if you have powered foldable mirrors. OEM Subaru one ( P/N H2717CA000?) and another made by third party. As side gain - easy indicator, if car is locked. I thought it's nice bit .. but not yet sure if i wish to pay for it + put extra weight in car. Better spend it on some performance upgrade, no? As for those, whose cars side mirrors are not power-foldable .. imho cost of ordering complete replacement sets + auto-fold module is too overpriced to pay for that.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:37 PM   #7
Bramick

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited M/T
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Redundant? http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87008