follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #1
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The end of tuning: Car Companies Say Home Repairs Are 'Legally Problematic'

Grain of salt, and all that. Get your pre-ban OFT now!
Title edit.

Car Companies Say Home Repairs Are 'Legally Problematic,' Seek Copyright Restrictions

In comments submitted so far, automakers have expressed concern that allowing outsiders to access electronic control units that run critical vehicle functions like steering, throttle inputs and braking "leads to an imbalance by which the negative consequences far outweigh any suggested benefits," according to the Alliance of Global Automakers. In the worst cases, the organizations said an exemption for enthusiasts "leads to disastrous consequences."

ETA: Wired article http://www.wired.com/2015/01/let-us-hack-our-cars/

ETA again: Comment period seems to have expired Feb 6.

Last edited by Tromatic; 04-21-2015 at 03:02 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tromatic For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Interesting.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
eggncheese

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Interesting indeed. If they can crack serial and product keys for Microsoft and the likes, then it will only be a matter of time before any "block" becomes cracked. They can't stop us!
The Following User Says Thank You to eggncheese For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #4
Tromatic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggncheese View Post
Interesting indeed. If they can crack serial and product keys for Microsoft and the likes, then it will only be a matter of time before any "block" becomes cracked. They can't stop us!
You will have encrypted and logging ECU's that would drop a dime either at the dealership when in for service or something like OnStar narcing you out in real time or an instant brick. The DCMA and it's authors need to die in a fire. I have no doubt in my mind that this will happen.

ETA: The real weapon will be the f-ing shitstain Fed's destroying anyone involved in providing tools to do this. This very forum would get killed by FT86 club to avoid liability. F the 'gubmint.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:19 AM   #5
IBill4You
Banned

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I really enjoyed the part where the auto manufacturers state that they are less concerned with new revenue streams and more concerned with other issues. They basically admitted that they are at least a little concerned about using this a an avenue for new revenue streams. I think that any auto manufacturer that attempts this on anything but a Prius will have a consumer backlash. I can say that I will immediately boycott anyone who implements this technology. From an enthusiast's perspective this is a business suicide move. You can't litigate your way into monopolizing a market without consumer backlash. If you remove the fun for the consumer, the consumer will look closer at alternative options for investing their spare change.
The Following User Says Thank You to IBill4You For This Useful Post:
stugray (04-21-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 12:24 AM   #6
Tromatic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBill4You View Post
I really enjoyed the part where the auto manufacturers state that they are less concerned with new revenue streams and more concerned with other issues. They basically admitted that they are at least a little concerned about using this a an avenue for new revenue streams. I think that any auto manufacturer that attempts this on anything but a Prius will have a consumer backlash. I can say that I will immediately boycott anyone who implements this technology. From an enthusiast's perspective this is a business suicide move. You can't litigate your way into monopolizing a market without consumer backlash. If you remove the fun for the consumer, the consumer will look closer at alternative options for investing their spare change.
Except it will be the weight of the 'gubmint behind it. It will be EVERY make of car. Individuals (us) will be able to continue if you wish to run the risk of getting caught but a business (people like Shiv) will go to jail if they continue.

FBO, FDCMA, F the current lawless gubmint.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:59 AM   #7
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Plainly put the government represents those that participate in it.

It's the congress that each citizen either elects with their vote or allows to be elected by not voting that author (with the help of groups like ALEC) and pass the kind of laws those automakers are calling for. So long as this country has the lowest voter turnout (by far) of all westernized nations and rulings like Citizens United (which was made by 5 Supreme Court justices who are on a corporate payroll, but were placed there by elected presidents) we will continue to get a government that serves those corporations. After all, corporations are the "gubmints'" most participatory bodies. Civics teaches us this.

So in short, vote.

Vote in every election you can. Participate. Encourage everyone you know to do the same. Make a culture of it. This is the only way.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Cole (04-21-2015), GotBRZ1691 (04-21-2015), IBill4You (04-22-2015), stugray (04-21-2015), Tgionet (04-21-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 01:28 AM   #8
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I like the protest and riots better myself.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
continuecrushing (04-21-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 01:37 AM   #9
Tromatic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post

It's the congress that each citizen either elects with their vote or allows to be elected by not voting that author (with the help of groups like ALEC) and pass the kind of laws those automakers are calling for. So long as this country has the lowest voter turnout (by far) of all westernized nations and rulings like Citizens United (which was made by 5 Supreme Court justices who are on a corporate payroll, but were placed there by elected presidents) we will continue to get a government that serves those corporations. After all, corporations are the "gubmints'" most participatory bodies. Civics teaches us this.

So in short, vote.

Vote in every election you can. Participate. Encourage everyone you know to do the same. Make a culture of it. This is the only way.
I hate to make assumptions, most of the time. Who'd you vote for in the last Presidential election?

ETA: The ALEC ref does if for me. BO, no? If so, f-ing LOL.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:53 AM   #10
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
DAEMANO: how about good old lobbying system? (where it's manufacturers, that will pay for such ruling, not common electorate. And apart from even older bribing system). And we shouldn't forget Stalin's quote - "it's not about how vote, it's about how votes are counted"
Old 04-21-2015, 01:59 AM   #11
Tromatic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
DAEMANO: how about good old lobbying system? (where it's manufacturers, that will pay for such ruling, not common electorate. And apart from even older bribing system). And we shouldn't forget Stalin's quote - "it's not about how vote, it's about how votes are counted"
Only Conservatives are guilty when that happens. When Dems take money to screw people and the Constitution all is well I suspect, at least according to Daemano.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:04 AM   #12
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
I hate to make assumptions, most of the time. Who'd you vote for in the last Presidential election?

ETA: The ALEC ref does if for me. BO, no? If so, f-ing LOL.
This is argument is exactly what corporations want you to do. Not talk about a real attainable solution, but instead default to governance as team sports. It's human nature to do this and corporations exploit it. The "other" isn't a political party, it's the group that is representing itself the most. Corporations.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Qadthane (04-21-2015), Tgionet (04-21-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 02:09 AM   #13
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post

So in short, vote.

I could swear there was an older thread about this. I think self driving cars will be mandated before we have to worry about this.

trying to not get too political, but as you say, corporations have the highest influence, that influence buys the media and buys influence in the national parties, giving them in large part, the ability to select who we get to vote for. Without media approval, candidates aren't even allowed into televised debates. Without being allowed into debates, nobody knows they exist. We are pitted against each other, so even if 100% of the people show up, we all just end up voting against each other for the same two candidates that would win if only 30% showed up. On top of that 90% of incumbents are reelected each cycle so the power never really changes hands. Regardless of the party in power, the federal government never spends less money than the year before, never voluntarily cedes power it has acquired, and never turns down a bribe if it can't be traced. Voting just legitimatizes what they do by showing the support from the "will of the people". I'm not saying not to vote, but not voting might at least scare some politicians with the dissatisfaction of the people.

Government is force, unless and until the majority of the people decide that it is wrong to use that force to make people behave the way they wish, nothing will ever change.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:17 AM   #14
dirtymax
Gold Member

Drives: 14' SWP BRZ MT limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
GM has been doing this for awhile. I know that the newer duramax trucks have copywritten ECM"s. A lot of companies have stopped making tuners because of this and the EPA going after them for emissions canceling software.

Closed Thread