follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #1
ryan t

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
bilstein vs koni for autox

i plan to run cs next year and want opinions on these. i have raced circle track for 20 years and always ran bilstein so my heart leans that way, but koni may be the better way to go for cs? anyone ran both?
ryan t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
chucky12012

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Scion FR-S
I've run the Bilsteins out of the box, ran them revalved more aggressively and I've run the Cuscos (rebound adjustable similar to the Konis). I'll probably stick with the Cuscos moving into next year, but I did really like the Bilsteins. If you do the Bilsteins, you will want to have them revalved to work with the TRD springs. I had mine revalved before the TRD parts were part of the scene, so with the TRD springs, they were just too stiff.
chucky12012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
Davidss

Drives: 2015 FRS
Bilstein is definitely a better quality shock but their out of the box valvings for autocross and road racing aren't great. The Koni stock valving will be better.
Davidss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
Fender0122

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was trying to figure out the same thing, and I decided to go with Koni's for one reason: all of the Continental Series cars ran Konis because local shops can rebuild them, versus you have to send Bilsteins out to California. My buddy worked for a race team in the series a year ago when I was in the market for dampeners and that's the observation he made.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender0122 View Post
I was trying to figure out the same thing, and I decided to go with Koni's for one reason: all of the Continental Series cars ran Konis because local shops can rebuild them, versus you have to send Bilsteins out to California. My buddy worked for a race team in the series a year ago when I was in the market for dampeners and that's the observation he made.
Typically it is the Koni's that you cannot have rebuilt locally. Koni does not sell its internal parts, unless you are a certified service center. I think other than Koni USA, there are only like 2 other shops (ProParts and Truechoice) in the nation. Bilstein is the shock most circle track guys use, as you can easily purchase their internal parts for revalving and rebuilding. Koni was at one time the sponsor of the Continental Series, so it is likely the race teams got access to parts. If you are the ordinary Joe, you will have no such luck.

If you want a set of adjustable Bilsteins, try to contact FRSport. They have a double adjustable set for the C-Street Twins. If you are running a higher prep class, their kits may be cheaper as they dont need the custom bodies and mounts for Street Class:

http://www.frsport.com/index.php?tar...0176ef9a4bfb0b
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #6
Fender0122

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleisbest View Post
Typically it is the Koni's that you cannot have rebuilt locally. Koni does not sell its internal parts, unless you are a certified service center. I think other than Koni USA, there are only like 2 other shops (ProParts and Truechoice) in the nation. Bilstein is the shock most circle track guys use, as you can easily purchase their internal parts for revalving and rebuilding. Koni was at one time the sponsor of the Continental Series, so it is likely the race teams got access to parts. If you are the ordinary Joe, you will have no such luck.
Good to know, thanks!
Old 09-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #7
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:

If you want a set of adjustable Bilsteins, try to contact FRSport. They have a double adjustable set for the C-Street Twins. If you are running a higher prep class, their kits may be cheaper as they dont need the custom bodies and mounts for Street Class:

http://www.frsport.com/index.php?tar...0176ef9a4bfb0b
Those looks like some nice shocks for stock class autox :o

Do you need to have the TRD springs on the car when it was purchased, or can you order them separately?
Old 09-25-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinco View Post
Those looks like some nice shocks for stock class autox :o

Do you need to have the TRD springs on the car when it was purchased, or can you order them separately?
For Street class the TRD Springs are a line item factory/port option, so you can add them later, no problem!
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #9
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
For Street class the TRD Springs are a line item factory/port option, so you can add them later, no problem!
Nice! I heard there were some other TRD parts like sway bars and things? I need to familiarize myself with Twins in CS as I am used to the STX rules.