follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #1
Renesis

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Strange issue in steering or possibly clutch?

I've had my 2013 BRZ Limited for about 3 months and all has been well however lately I am hearing what sounds like rocks being rattled together under light load on decel in 2nd-4th gear at around 20-30 mph and almost always only happens after the car is up to operating temps. I had noticed a few soft clunks when at full lock previously while in the parking lot however I haven't noticed this lately since the new issue has begun. I noticed this issue after going to the carwash the other day and it seems like it's coming from the front right. I can feel the crunching/grinding in the steering and pedals slightly. Was thinking it might be the flywheel chattering as it's getting cold as this only happens when in gear, or possibly a bearing issue.

anyone have any ideas?

ETA: Forgot to mention mods (Tomei type 60r catback and jdl uel catted header), I have a spacer on the uel header for the CEL fix but just picked up a cel within the past couple days with the issue happening. Not seeing how the two can be connected though.
Renesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,954 Times in 16,478 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
WELCOME, @Renesis ........ to ....The Forum........

Yep, these cars can make some strange sounds. I have a few questions:

How many miles on your car?

Has it been tracked to the point where the brake pads may be worn out?

Do you hear the steering clunks only when the car is moving?

Do you hear the "chattering" if the clutch is not depressed? Or, does it chatter only when the clutch is depressed? Or both?

Have you checked to insure that all the exhaust pieces are tightened together?

Can you tell if any exhaust piece is hitting on something else?

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 03:29 AM   #3
Renesis

Yeah I know, strange name. Especially considering I've never owned an rx8. Always liked the name and it's been my gamer tag for many years.

Onto the questions, car has 20k miles, to my knowledge was never tracked as it was completely stock when I purchased it, I used to hear the clunk when it was near stationary going full lock. And the chattering is only when the clutch is not engaged. It happens frequently on decel under load in 2nd through 4th and I'm pretty sure all exhaust pieces were thoroughly tightened down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Renesis For This Useful Post:
Babel (11-29-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #4
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,604 Times in 18,974 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renesis View Post
Yeah I know, strange name. Especially considering I've never owned an rx8. Always liked the name and it's been my gamer tag for many years.

Onto the questions, car has 20k miles, to my knowledge was never tracked as it was completely stock when I purchased it, I used to hear the clunk when it was near stationary going full lock. And the chattering is only when the clutch is not engaged. It happens frequently on decel under load in 2nd through 4th and I'm pretty sure all exhaust pieces were thoroughly tightened down.
Welcome, Renesis. Read humfrz's greeting in the voice of a wrestling announcer and it'll make sense.

Anyhoo, the parts I marked do not make sense to me. Can you clarify what you mean by "under load?" How fast is the engine turning when you hear this?
Old 11-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
Renesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Welcome, Renesis. Read humfrz's greeting in the voice of a wrestling announcer and it'll make sense.

Anyhoo, the parts I marked do not make sense to me. Can you clarify what you mean by "under load?" How fast is the engine turning when you hear this?
Sorry should have been more clear, car is usually turning low rpm (around 2k) when the sound happens when the clutch is not depressed. Also cel from headers disappeared again and car didn't make any sounds on the way home from work yesterday. I am at a complete loss.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
Sorry should have been more clear, car is usually turning low rpm (around 2k) when the sound happens when the clutch is not depressed. Also cel from headers disappeared again and car didn't make any sounds on the way home from work yesterday. I am at a complete loss.
Ok, first for clarity, some functional clutch speak:

disengaged = clutch pedal depressed
engaged = clutch pedal released

I am beginning to suspect normal sound of lugging. To be sure, while you hear/feel the noise, what happens when you depress the clutch pedal? Try to keep the engine at the same rpm.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
humfrz

Maybe we have two separate things working here ......... "the clunk" and "the chattering".

The "clunk" sound when turning sharp and moving may be brake related.

I'd suggest you inspect (or have inspected) the front brakes. Check for a loose caliper or loose or warn pads. While you have the wheel off, you might take a careful look at the lower control arm and the strut mounts, to make sure they are not bent or loose.

As far as the "chattering", that may be drive line related. @Ultramaroon may very well be onto something if you are lugging the engine. This engine doesn't have a lot of torque and has a relatively light flywheel ...... therefore, it doesn't take kindly to being lugged. It's more like a race horse, than a plow horse.......

How about you comment on our comments before we proceed ........... and start blaming the dreaded ............. THROW OUT BEARING .......

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
the dreaded ............. THROW OUT BEARING .......

humfrz
nooooooooo.... <dun dun duuuuuuuun!>

Old 11-29-2015, 06:27 AM   #9
Renesis

I really don't think it's just lugging as I am no longer seeing any issues for some reason with the CEL off. I have read recently of others with this issue tracing it back to the possibility of the 02 rattling around at 2k-3k in certain gears. I should have clarified better, when clutch is engaged (not depressed) I am getting the sounds at lower rpm levels in 2-4th gear. The clunk is not noticeable any longer in a parking lot. And when the clutch is engaged there is no sign of the sound at all. Again however, I'm not getting any sounds since the CEL has disappeared and the car seems to be back to normal.

ETA: Also, definitely not a throwout bearing, my previous vehicle was a TJ Jeep Wrangler, I assure you I know the sounds and vibes associated with that demon.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:09 AM   #10
humfrz

Oh, OK ...... it "fixed" itself ..........

humfrz
Old 11-30-2015, 12:32 AM   #11
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
I really don't think it's just lugging as I am no longer seeing any issues for some reason with the CEL off. I have read recently of others with this issue tracing it back to the possibility of the 02 rattling around at 2k-3k in certain gears.
What does this mean? Links?
Old 11-30-2015, 05:57 AM   #12
Renesis

Can't find the link right now as a friend found instances of cases like this on this site and they are on my work email right now. The sound/vibration is back however and seems to come and go and tends to happen the longer the car is driven. I'll be making an appointment with Subaru today.

Last edited by Renesis; 11-30-2015 at 06:41 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Renesis For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 04:15 PM   #13
Renesis

Found out what was causing the vibes. JDL header is rubbing/banging into the skid plate at 2200 rpm. Gonna have to do some trimming.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renesis For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-30-2015), Ultramaroon (11-30-2015)
Old 05-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #14
Stufferz

Drives: 2016 BRZ Series.Hyperblue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have similar problems

As I read through this discussion I was sure he was having the same problem as me. However, I am sure my problem is not my header rattling.

I have noticed on my car (2016 BRZ Hyperblue, 30k miles, stock other than exhaust)

During a long but sharp left hand turn at any speed or rpm I get this clunking, and it repeats over and over. between clunks is around a half second gap.
This only happens when not accelerating, only on decel or maintaining speed.

This same noise also happens after a hard accel like 0-100mph redlining each gear then coasting in gear back down it will do this clunking all the way down to a stop if it is in gear and my foot is not on the clutch.
Pressing the clutch or taking it out of gear both stop the sound.

I inspected my suspension and I really can't spot anything wrong. Any help here is greatly appreciated.
Stufferz is offline   Reply With Quote