follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Delacruzmd

Drives: SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ/FRS automatic owners ... Strange noise

I have had my BRZ for the last 5 months and will soon be reaching 500 miles (i know, but it is just a toy car for me.). I recently began hearing this strange clunk/clicking sound when you step on the brake coming from area of the auto shifter. It doesn't seem to have any deleterious effects on performance. I have searched and found one topic regarding this noise. Have any of the other automatic owners experienced this sound? It is more of annoyance than anything else at this point but i dont feel like bringing it in to a dealer just for them to mess things up. If you have had the problem, any chance it was fixed by the dealer or even worse, did something bad hapen.
Delacruzmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
b.e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava, 2007 Tundra
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I don't recall hearing it.

Maybe it's the sharp intake of breath the planet makes while it cries because you drive it so little.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Delacruzmd

Drives: SSM BRZ
Thanks for the sarcasm but as i said, i have other cars.One other user on the forums posted a topic about 3 months ago, so i assume, he didn't have that many miles at the time too. he said it was a reverse lock out peice mechanism when he took the boot down.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10745
Delacruzmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
Craig

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacruzmd View Post
I have had my BRZ for the last 5 months and will soon be reaching 500 miles (i know, but it is just a toy car for me.). I recently began hearing this strange clunk/clicking sound when you step on the brake coming from area of the auto shifter. It doesn't seem to have any deleterious effects on performance. I have searched and found one topic regarding this noise. Have any of the other automatic owners experienced this sound? It is more of annoyance than anything else at this point but i dont feel like bringing it in to a dealer just for them to mess things up. If you have had the problem, any chance it was fixed by the dealer or even worse, did something bad hapen.
I hear the same thing, I figured it was the lockout so I just ignored it. I'm going to sub incase you find out something bad about it
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
FR-S Hot Lava

Drives: FR-S Hot Lava (AT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacruzmd View Post
I have noticed same clunk with my FRS/AT. Seems that it happens when I'm slowing down coming to a stop. I just thought that it was normal......now has me thinking.
FR-S Hot Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
hayolas

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi There, I have a AT/FRS and I just got my car a week ago and I hear the same noise from the break. Clicking sound when breaking to stop and it comes from the gear. If you put your hand on the gear you feel it. I am heading to the dealer next week for the first service and I will report it.
hayolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayolas View Post
Hi There, I have a AT/FRS and I just got my car a week ago and I hear the same noise from the break. Clicking sound when breaking to stop and it comes from the gear. If you put your hand on the gear you feel it. I am heading to the dealer next week for the first service and I will report it.
its just the car letting you know its safe to go into reverse, tis a gate opening and closing, turn the car on, leave you foot off the break, move the shift selector back and fourth, youll hear the click around the ignition key, its the same type of gate that opens and closes, when the foot is on the brake it opens a gate, when the key is in the ignition it also opens a gate, when both gates are open you can put the car into gear, these are all saftey mechanisms and there isnt an actual problem with the car, car just makes noises, like my last car, made a lot of ticking noises, it was just normal valve chatter, made the noise when i got the car it made the noise after i put in new titanium valves, still made the noise but my engine never blew up

some noises are normal, some arent and are a hint that a part is going to fail

in this case, it is a normal sound from a properly functioning part and every (AT) FRS/BRZ/GT86 does it nothing to worry about guys!

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carbonBLUE For This Useful Post:
Craig (10-16-2012), FR-S Hot Lava (10-16-2012), hayolas (10-19-2012)